advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who is still on Netflix DVD?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 06, 2020 10:32PM
I'm on it since I can't get unlimited high speed internet, but I would be anyway since the selection is superior to streaming.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who is still on Netflix DVD?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 06, 2020 10:52PM
I am. The selection is still vastly superior to streaming. Back when Netflix had this thing where you would see a "click to stream" button next to everything in my queue and history, I could see that less than 5% of the movies I watch are on streaming. TV shows were a little better, something like 1/3 to 1/2 of what I watch is on streaming.

Streaming = convenience, not selection...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 06, 2020 10:59PM
.....most public libraries have the access to the same dvds.....it may take longer for some of the 'newer' movies but they often have the same dvds as Netflix.......and free.....some of the condition of the dvds may not be as good though........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 06, 2020 11:11PM
We just ended ours. Was worth it just for NCIS, but we now stream that TV show too.
Date: February 06, 2020 11:20PM
NewtonMP2100
.....most public libraries have the access to the same dvds.....it may take longer for some of the 'newer' movies but they often have the same dvds as Netflix.......and free.....some of the condition of the dvds may not be as good though........

Our cheesy library has nothing like that - no videos, no CDs, no public wifi. They have chrome books and a printer. You can't use your USB drive in them though.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 06, 2020 11:46PM
We where, wife got tired of waiting for new releases. We get digital codes on reddit and a couple of other places. $2-10 bucks a pop. Adding to digital movie collection. Vudu/Movies Anywhere/iTunes/Google Play.
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 07, 2020 06:01AM
We piggyback on our kid's Netflix and the few times I've opened it I've wondered if there's some sort of magic cache of movies that I can't find. There seems to be a couple of hundred movies on it that change every once in a while. Is that it or am I missing something?

Edit: I can answer my own question. According to Finder.com (https://www.finder.com/netflix-movies) there are 3875 movies on Netflix. I guess I need to figure it out if I want to take advantage of my kid's subscription!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 06:10AM by Michael.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 07, 2020 09:27AM
Yeah, a few dozen movies leave each month, about the same get added. But basically the search and browse functions on Netflix have been geared towards suggesting a small fraction based on previous viewings and "likes".

They changed the search algorithm a couple years ago. Used to be you could search on a word remembered from a title and get all shows with that word. Now just some of the results have that word, and the rest are "suggested" based on previous viewing history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 09:29AM by JoeH.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: February 07, 2020 09:45AM
I'd have to go out and purchase a DVD player. Glad to see some are keeping the dream alive.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: February 07, 2020 09:48AM
.....I guess some public libraries are not as well equipped as others....

Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 07, 2020 10:04AM
I stil receive DVDs. Superior library to streaming. Lots of older movies.
Date: February 07, 2020 10:26AM
davemchine
I stil receive DVDs. Superior library to streaming. Lots of older movies.

I tell friends when I'm trying to sell Netflix: You can see the best movies ever made.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 07, 2020 11:02AM
That little button I referred to lasted less than a year. I think that Netflix thought they were tooting their own horn with this. "Hey look how many movies we have!" The reality is that it showed just how poor the streaming selection is, so they got rid of the button.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 07, 2020 11:22AM
Yes, for the selection like everyone else. And we opt for the Blu-Ray option for more recent releases.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 07, 2020 01:08PM
We still get the DVDs. The selection of documentaries, independent films, and older movies is vast, and we don't watch enough tv/movies to worry about the couple of days it takes to get the next disc.

Date: February 07, 2020 01:10PM
.....some public libraries allow free access to Canopy.....which has older, and more independent movies......

Posted by: Kludgy Thingy
Date: February 07, 2020 01:57PM
We are, for the superior sound quality from the Blu-Ray.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 07, 2020 09:08PM
I typically subscribe to the DVD service during the winter when we tend to use the TV and then cut it off during the summer when the TV is almost always off.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 08, 2020 11:18AM
That’s a good plan Davester
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 09, 2020 07:51AM
I still have the one-at-a-time DVD option with Netflix, and use it for our Saturday-night movie. Many more old (and some not-so-old) movies on DVD, that NF doesn't offer streaming. In fact, we stream old TV shows like Columbo and Star Trek from Amazon, not Netflix, because Amazon seems to have more of them.

Amazon does have some older movies available for streaming, but many are not 'free' with Prime.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018