advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
In space, nobody can hear your outsourced software crash.... NASA Calls for Boeing investigation
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 07, 2020 10:32AM
I expect it's the same managerial outsourcing malfunction that caused the 737MAX deaths. I still recall a 1980's defense manager telling me that he didn't budget for software development on a radar system motherboard because "he can't see it".

[spacenews.com]

"MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — A NASA safety panel is recommending a review of Boeing’s software verification processes after revealing there was a second software problem during a CST-100 Starliner test flight that could have led to a “catastrophic” failure.

That new software problem, not previously discussed by NASA or Boeing, was discussed during a Feb. 6 meeting of NASA’s Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel that examined the December uncrewed test flight of Starliner that was cut short by a timer error."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: In space, nobody can hear your outsourced software crash.... NASA Calls for Boeing investigation
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 07, 2020 10:35AM
ooh you bad man
Re: In space, nobody can hear your outsourced software crash.... NASA Calls for Boeing investigation
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 07, 2020 10:36AM
TL/DR: An additional software bug was found that would have caused catastrophic failure upon re-entry, or rather attempted re-entry. The bug was patched two hours prior to de-orbit.

An additional article on the matter:
[arstechnica.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 07, 2020 11:16AM
....the space......between......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 07, 2020 11:29AM
cbelt3
I expect it's the same managerial outsourcing malfunction that caused the 737MAX deaths. I still recall a 1980's defense manager telling me that he didn't budget for software development on a radar system motherboard because "he can't see it".

That's amazing. Software is everything with modern radar. The computer processing power that became available in the mid 90's is what made synthetic aperture radar possible on fighter jets.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 07, 2020 01:08PM
An intersting article, and props for the subject line.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 07, 2020 02:45PM
So, which astronaut would get into such a Frankenship?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 07, 2020 03:00PM
So anybody who's been waiting for Boeing's stock price to crater so they can buy on the dip... it's not there yet.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 07, 2020 03:06PM
Will Collier
So anybody who's been waiting for Boeing's stock price to crater so they can buy on the dip... it's not there yet.

Right? Seems like Tuesday would have been the day.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 07, 2020 04:20PM
I know software bugs happen but I like to think that software for airplanes and space ships are more rigorously tested than software for my laptop. Boeing is not filling me with confidence.
Posted by: kap
Date: February 08, 2020 03:26PM
davemchine
I know software bugs happen but I like to think that software for airplanes and space ships are more rigorously tested than software for my laptop. Boeing is not filling me with confidence.

"software for airplanes and space ships" and self-driving cars. It's bad enough with rampant hit and run in So Cal by flawed humans.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 03:26PM by kap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018