advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommend a basic laser printer
Posted by: archipirata
Date: February 07, 2020 12:36PM
I am in the market for a basic non-color laser printer (for B&W proofing of course.)

The only feature I need is duplexing.

Don't need scanning, copying, etc.

Just looking for simple, dependable, and hopefully economical long term per page toner cost.

It would be great if it can use recycled cartridges to lessen them going to the landfill.

What say you?

Athens, OH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommend a basic laser printer
Posted by: timg
Date: February 07, 2020 12:44PM
i bought a cheap samsung laser (B&W with duplex printing) several years back. it's worked great.

also have a Brother that I bought probably 15 years ago (no duplexing) that's still working.

sorry, don't have much more to add to that.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 07, 2020 01:32PM
Old Brother MFC user here, uses off-brand carts OK.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 07, 2020 01:50PM
archipirata
It would be great if it can use recycled cartridges to lessen them going to the landfill.

Another trick to keep in mind, is to reset the page counter (if possible). I did this two or three times on the "1,000" page starter cartridges on my Brother Color Laser before the print quality started to go downhill.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 07, 2020 01:51PM
CANON!!!

I'm still using my mf4350 that I bought in 2011? 2012? It's still going great AND the drivers have been updated all along so I can still use it with Catalina.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 07, 2020 02:14PM
Depends on how much use you're gonna give it....
Samsung and Brother are gonna give you serious cluck for your buck, but Canon often has sales where you can score a much better quality output printer for cheap, (along w/ HP and Xerox, though HP is more Mac friendly). Some even come with a real toner cartridge, while others only have a starter cartridge in the box. I've snagged a few for ~$100, and kept the Canon LBP6650dn from about 8 years ago. Print quality is way better than Brother or Samsung. Still use a Brother for 95% of our printing, and the Canon for important stuff. (Actually just replaced 12 y.o. Brother MFC w/ a new one over the holidays).

If you're only gonna print a few hundred pages a year, the cost per page probably isn't as critical, so you can scour the interwebs for deals on HP, Xerox, Canon, etc.. If you're printing in the thousands of pages per year, and image quality isn't at the top of the requirement list, the usual suspects prevail. FWIW, Apple used Canon print engines in LaserWriters for many years.
==
Posted by: richorlin
Date: February 07, 2020 03:20PM
Bought this one from Amazon Warehouse in September,
$85 for used, very good. Actually, never used, just opened. It's wifi and USB with duplex printing.
New, it's $120.
Amazon
Easy to set up and reviews are good. Plenty of choices for 3rd-party toner carts that fit.

I'm happy with it. The Brother laser printer this replaced lasted 12 years, so I'm okay with Brother printers.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 03:21PM by richorlin.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 07, 2020 03:35PM
what hal said, as well.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: maco
Date: February 07, 2020 04:09PM
I've had great luck with Brother printers, my current one is a HL-L2360DW. I bought it new 3 years ago for $99.00, it's still going strong.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 07, 2020 05:09PM
Being their #1 fanboy here, my rec is Brother.
15yo HL-5170DN still works fine & Brother's Mac support has been superior!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: testcase
Date: February 07, 2020 05:41PM
In the last 7 ~ 10 days, there was a monochrome laser printer for $50 on DealNews.

Last September, I picked up a Xerox COLOR laser printer for $79! A full set of Xerox replacement cartridges run almost $300 ( smiley-shocked003 ) so, I expect I'll dump it if reliable generic cartridges can't be found.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 07, 2020 05:58PM
Duplexing Brother all-in-ones seem to come up for $85 on slickdeals.com often.
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 07, 2020 10:35PM
We have several of those sub $100 Brothers and they are total work horses. Off brand toner works great in them.

JPK
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: February 08, 2020 06:37AM
FWIT, HP bought Samsung's printer business. I bought a couple on closeout at Staples, a color laser and a B&W MF. Meh, I would stick with Brother, which have been great with generic toner.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 08, 2020 09:31AM
Brother AIO sales have been few and far between this last year. I ended up getting one from BB at a 10% discount. It works great. Just warning that the secret is out on those printers.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 08, 2020 12:38PM
Recent Brother AIO sale, expired a few days ago.

[slickdeals.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 12:38PM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: kap
Date: February 08, 2020 03:20PM
Always have positive experience with Brothers printers. They don't completely die only the rollers stop pushing out papers smiley-laughing001 Our HP LJ p1102W is still chugging along for the past 5 years; the wireless connection is intermittent.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: August West
Date: February 08, 2020 03:57PM
MrNoBody
Being their #1 fanboy here, my rec is Brother.
15yo HL-5170DN still works fine & Brother's Mac support has been superior!

Bought a HL-53something more than 10 years ago, still in use, no problems. duplex and network.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 08, 2020 08:26PM
I just installed Catalina and I realized I didn't check to see if my Brother printer was still supported. yes, it is, and look how far back it goes. This model was bought new sometime in 2010-11 IIRC, but OS support go so far back and probably also into the future for years to come

Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 08, 2020 11:05PM
space-time
I just installed Catalina and I realized I didn't check to see if my Brother printer was still supported. yes, it is, and look how far back it goes. This model was bought new sometime in 2010-11 IIRC, but OS support go so far back and probably also into the future for years to come.

I bought Baby Buzz that same printer back when, and then gave it to BIL/SIL a few years ago after kid finished college. BIL/SIL had funky inkjet AIO that was always out of ink when we visited, so it was a good solution. I "only" got about 12 years out of our last Brother MFC, then as sekker notes, it was about a three month wait to finally snag a MFC-L5850DW on sale for $266 (goal was < $300 after our hideous 10.25% sales tax). Brother does do a good job of supporting printers on an ongoing basis, but their newer printers may get stuck using generic drivers to play nice w/ older OS's, though evidently some similar older printers' drivers' may be mod-able to work w/ the newer printers to take advantage of all the features. The bigger/faster the Brother print engine, the cheaper they get per page to operate.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018