advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Spiegel Catalog, Chicago 60609"
Posted by: hal
Date: February 07, 2020 04:03PM
It's weird how some things stay in your brain FOREVER. Like many kids my age, I watched a lot of game shows when I was a kid (but stopped when I grew up unlike so others around here - that's another conversation :-)

...and Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal was a staple. So much so that the phrase, "Spiegel Catalog, Chicago 60609" is deeply entrenched in my memory. I probably haven't seen the show since 1974 or so, but when ever my brain needs to come up with a random zip code, it's always '60609'.

I was wondering if I was the only one with this bug... I searched and the phrase made it to Wiki.

Anyone here have the same bug? Or a similar one?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Spiegel Catalog, Chicago 60609"
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 07, 2020 04:13PM
That is the famous "Back of the Yards" neighborhood's zip code..

Back of the yards refers to being directly adjacent to the old and massive Chicago Stockyards..bring em in, slaughter em, process, out for sale...very interesting neighborhood that is in pretty hard times now..

and of course, a part of the setting for Upton Sinclair's famous The Jungle.

the old Speigel headquarters -famously located on 35th street in the Bridgeport neighborhood..35th street is the northernmost border of this zip code which includes, part of McKinley Park, and the very interesting hood known as Canaryville
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 07, 2020 04:18PM
From the NYC area...

"Hey Jerry, what's the story"
[www.youtube.com]

"His prices are INSANE".
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: February 07, 2020 04:58PM
nice little neighborhood history here... I read the Jungle for the first time just a few years ago. Probably read it as a kid, but don't remember. STILL very powerful.

Kraniac
That is the famous "Back of the Yards" neighborhood's zip code..

Back of the yards refers to being directly adjacent to the old and massive Chicago Stockyards..bring em in, slaughter em, process, out for sale...very interesting neighborhood that is in pretty hard times now..

and of course, a part of the setting for Upton Sinclair's famous The Jungle.

the old Speigel headquarters -famously located on 35th street in the Bridgeport neighborhood..35th street is the northernmost border of this zip code which includes, part of McKinley Park, and the very interesting hood known as Canaryville
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 07, 2020 05:16PM
I can recall most of the radio stations' phone numbers that I used to call as a kid to make requests or to win something.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 07, 2020 06:16PM
That ZIP code is also pressed deeply in my mind, though I didn't yet live in Chicago. I just remember it as ". . . . from Spiegel, Chicago 60609."

After I'd moved to Chicago, in the 80s, I used to stop occasionally at the warehouse, which had an outlet store. I bought a few things, though I don't remember just what. I'm probably still using something or another.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 07, 2020 06:17PM
Spiegel Catalog, wow that triggered a lot of memories...

old fogey smiley Remember these? ...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 07, 2020 06:40PM
my phone number will forever be 867-5309.

as time has moved on, no one gets it, so easier to pass it off.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 07, 2020 06:41PM
GGD
From the NYC area...

"Hey Jerry, what's the story"
[www.youtube.com]

"His prices are INSANE".
[www.youtube.com]

I went to the same temple as Jerry. He was a slob there, too. The hardware store is still there - How called Jere's Hardware.

How about: "Nobody heats the Wiz" and "Battling Barry's House of Audio"?

Lastly, I remember the Spiegel catalog line - I think it was on other game shows, too.
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 07, 2020 07:13PM
I sent many a boxtop to Kellogg's at Battle Creek, Michigan in my youth.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 07, 2020 07:21PM
How Many Cookies Did Andrew Eat?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 07, 2020 07:51PM
Before Spiegel imprinted, I remember their formerly much larger catalog neighbor down the street....

Sears, Chicago 60606
==
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 07, 2020 08:13PM
hal
It's weird how some things stay in your brain FOREVER. Like many kids my age, I watched a lot of game shows when I was a kid (but stopped when I grew up unlike so others around here - that's another conversation :-)

...and Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal was a staple. So much so that the phrase, "Spiegel Catalog, Chicago 60609" is deeply entrenched in my memory. I probably haven't seen the show since 1974 or so, but when ever my brain needs to come up with a random zip code, it's always '60609'.

I was wondering if I was the only one with this bug... I searched and the phrase made it to Wiki.

Yep! 60609 and

Zoom! Zee Double Oh Em! Box 350 Boston Mass 02134 (ohh two one three fourrr)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 08:14PM by vision63.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: February 07, 2020 08:20PM
My grade school phone number is forever burned in my brain. Haven't had that number in 47 years. Now I frequently use it as a password.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 07, 2020 09:11PM
vision63
hal

Yep! 60609 and

I got in a helluva lot of moderator trouble on this board for posting a paragraph written in ZOOM's Ubbi dubbi language a while back...was almost surreal how sketchy that @#$%& was...downright 'off'. had to do some cussin just to save some of my soul on that one.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 07, 2020 09:26PM
Kraniac
vision63
hal

Yep! 60609 and

I got in a helluva lot of moderator trouble on this board for posting a paragraph written in ZOOM's Ubbi dubbi language a while back...was almost surreal how sketchy that @#$%& was...downright 'off'. had to do some cussin just to save some of my soul on that one.

lol. went down a dark hole. smiley-talk034
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 07, 2020 11:56PM
tronnei
My grade school phone number is forever burned in my brain. Haven't had that number in 47 years. Now I frequently use it as a password.

Nobody's left that remembers our most ancient phone number (OLympic2-8354, BTW), but when the phone company rejiggered, and changed all the phone numbers in our area around 1960, the resulting phone is now still known only by my brother and maybe a couple of cousins, and has also found its way into PW and security code usage. Odd how certain old things stick.
==
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 08, 2020 07:28AM
Crazy Eddie's history reads like a soap opera Crazy Eddie Wiki
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 08, 2020 11:56AM
Childhood phone 813-747-1419 (from 1966-1972) - my best friend at the time had the number 747-1418, lived about 2 miles away, very strange coincidence. We moved in 72 and the new number was 756-6616, my mom had that number until she moved in 2018 - 46 years.

yep, I remember Western Auto.

How about these -

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 08, 2020 12:34PM
Ombligo
Childhood phone 813-747-1419 (from 1966-1972) - my best friend at the time had the number 747-1418, lived about 2 miles away, very strange coincidence. We moved in 72 and the new number was 756-6616, my mom had that number until she moved in 2018 - 46 years.

yep, I remember Western Auto.

I remember Western Auto too. Another brand that fell victim of ownership by Sears in the 1990's.

There was one here in Greenfield. They were pressured to take over the lease for the Sears catalog, auto service and outlet location in town from their smaller store about half a mile away when Sears shut those down in the early '90s. The higher overhead and competition from other national auto parts stores put them out of business by the end of the decade.

Sears sold what was left of Western Auto to Advance Auto Parts in the late '90s, but retained a 40% stake. Since then Advance Auto has discontinued the brand.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 11, 2020 03:42PM
Same here, absolutely. If I ever succumb to Alzheimers and forget everything else, I will probably still remember "Chicago, 60609".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018