advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Catalina listed at 4.9 GB, download was 8.18 GB
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 08, 2020 05:27PM
I installed Catalina on a nuked and paved Mini 2012. I booted from an external drive (High Sierra) and downloaded a fresh copy of Catalina. Apple Store lists Catalina at 4.9 GB, my actual download was 8.18 GB and the last few hundred MB were painfully slow. Why such a large difference? why so slow at the end?

Also previous attempts to install from a bootable installer failed. I did manage to make a USB install media according to instruction from Apple, I got no errors or any kind. Installation started fine but when Mac rebooted, it told me the software cannot be installed and I should contact the manufacturer. That's a different problem but just to show you how painful it can be these days.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Catalina listed at 4.9 GB, download was 8.18 GB
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 09, 2020 11:17AM
An aside: though it's only really viable if you have a fast & solid internet connection, I completely bypass downloading installers and go to Internet Recovery (Cmd-Opt-R or Shift-Cmd-Opt-R at startup) for nuke & pave and upgrades these days (assuming desire for latest installer). Have used it 4 or 5 times in the last month.

It's spelled " y'all "

Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018