advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How much do you tithe?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 08, 2020 06:36PM
Interesting article. I am posting from iPhone, AppleNews link be damned, it links to WSJ

The Mormon Church Amassed $100 Billion. It Was the Best-Kept Secret in the Investment World.

[apple.news]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How much do you tithe?
Date: February 08, 2020 06:49PM
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 08, 2020 08:02PM
i tithe to 3 guys who live in the alleys near me..Robert..old black dude who does odd jobs at a taco shack near me..Paul..old, usually beat up white guy who is always reading on a cement planter on one of my routes...and a guy named MArlo from Nicauragua who lost his wife and his mind and ended up on the streets scrapping cans,,,those are my regular tithes...also a guy from a homeless camp near the Pilsen neighborhood in chicago..always near the off ramp..nice fellow...

organized religion is freakin scary..i dont give em a dime.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 08, 2020 08:12PM
.....is this a Tale of Two.....Tit..hes.......?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 08, 2020 08:17PM
I gave............

UP on all those phony charities.

Now, I give ONLY to my favorite charity and......

We all know that charity begins at home. boink smiley
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 08, 2020 08:47PM
His Noodly Appendage does not demand a tithe. I got the impression my parents gave between 2% to 5% to the Catholic Church.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 08, 2020 10:02PM
Now you know why a certain Senator felt safe voting the way he did.

Just saying.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: February 08, 2020 10:09PM
space-time
Interesting article. I am posting from iPhone, AppleNews link be damned, it links to WSJ

And the WSJ link requires a subscription. No thanks.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 08, 2020 10:42PM
Interesting note about Jewish tithing:

While the bible mandates a tithe, it's payable to the Levites maintaining the Temple in Israel and purifying themselves on the premises. Levites can't take a tithe if they can't purify themselves. They can't purify themselves for a tithe without the Temple.

Solomon's Temple and the Second Temple are gone. Nobody's building anything on Temple Mount.

No Temple, no tithe.

In fact, most rabbis will say that it's a sin to tithe since you'd be giving it to the wrong person for the wrong cause.

Posted by: TheTominator
Date: February 09, 2020 07:19AM
space-time
It Was the Best-Kept Secret in the Investment World.

No it wasn't.
The best kept secret in the investment world was -
ah... you almost got me to spill. Nice try.
Date: February 09, 2020 09:09AM
fmgtech
space-time
Interesting article. I am posting from iPhone, AppleNews link be damned, it links to WSJ.

And the WSJ link requires a subscription. No thanks.

I posted from iPhone.

when I got to my Mac and I clicked on this link, it took me to Apple News, not WSJ. I do not have a WSJ subscription and I can still read this article.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 09, 2020 10:14AM
> We all know that charity begins at home.

Exactly! I used to give to various charities, until I found out how much actually goes to the people in need.

Now I throw cash at my poor sister, who is 66 yo and suffering. SS Disability is just pitiful, and she cannot work after two major cancer bouts. (She is currently doing fine, health wise).

I have a clear concience.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 09, 2020 11:57AM
space-time

I don’t know what this graphic represents, but it’s worth noting that tiny little Norway has the largest sovereign wealth fund in the world, at over $1 trillion dollars.

That fund (owned by the government and people of Norway) owns about 1.5% of all of the stock in the world by itself.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 09, 2020 12:14PM
We tithe the standard 10% to the church we attend every sunday and to the local mission. We give above the 10% amount to other non-profits that we feel a connection to. Always from the first money of the month.
Date: February 09, 2020 03:07PM
.....can one touch the.....tithies......???

Posted by: hal
Date: February 09, 2020 05:45PM
Kraniac
i tithe to 3 guys who live in the alleys near me..Robert..old black dude who does odd jobs at a taco shack near me..Paul..old, usually beat up white guy who is always reading on a cement planter on one of my routes...and a guy named MArlo from Nicauragua who lost his wife and his mind and ended up on the streets scrapping cans,,,those are my regular tithes...also a guy from a homeless camp near the Pilsen neighborhood in chicago..always near the off ramp..nice fellow...

i LOVE this response
I don't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 09, 2020 07:39PM
But people I know who do give 10%.

I think in most cases, that's way too much.

In my case, it's 10% too much.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 10, 2020 05:16AM
Some churches here, the so-called non-denominational ones, require their members to submit their income statement and/or tax form, in order to tell the members how much the 10% tithe is that they expect. The 10% tithe is based on the gross income, not net.
Date: February 10, 2020 08:02AM
....how big are the....tithes...???

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 10, 2020 10:06AM
pdq
space-time

I don’t know what this graphic represents, but it’s worth noting that tiny little Norway has the largest sovereign wealth fund in the world, at over $1 trillion dollars.

That fund (owned by the government and people of Norway) owns about 1.5% of all of the stock in the world by itself.

IIRC, Norway took profits from oil and invested it as a rainy day fund.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 10, 2020 12:50PM
Kraniac

cool
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 10, 2020 03:12PM
Some churches here, the so-called non-denominational ones, require their members to submit their income statement and/or tax form, in order to tell the members how much the 10% tithe is that they expect. The 10% tithe is based on the gross income, not net.

That would have me losing my religion.

If I had any.

At least all members get to see the churches' balance sheets?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 10, 2020 03:21PM
Pretty sure that it's right there in the bible - 10% of GROSS not net...
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 10, 2020 03:52PM
Dave Ramsey, popular christian financial guru, says to tithe on net or whatever you want. He bases his opinion on Deuteronomy 14:22 "Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year." I liked his final advice. "You can make a really good case for it biblically either way. I’m not going to argue about it. It doesn’t matter. Just give and be a giver. It’s about changing your spirit anyway."

[www.daveramsey.com]

I also like Deuteronomy 14:28-29 which basically says to take care of the needy. "bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 03:56PM by davemchine.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 11, 2020 01:48PM
We try to do 10%, but aren't always successful. I've gone to a bunch of churches, and none of them have required tithing, but I do remember reading probably 15yrs. ago about some evangelical churches asking for income statements. It didn't go well, and I would be surprised if that happens much. My dad's a mormon, and an incredible tightwad, but he does his 10% and all the other things they ask him to do. It's good for him, honestly.

I wouldn't go to a church like Joel Osteen's, so I would never have to decide whether to give to a church like that. If I had to go to a church like that (hypothetically), I wouldn't give anything to them.

At our church, the pastor and the elders don't know how much anyone gives, fwiw. It would be considered an evangelical church, I think.
Date: February 11, 2020 10:16PM
....are these big tithes......are small itty bitty ones.......???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020