advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It's Alive! F/U to Broken Washing Machine
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 09, 2020 05:29PM
Thanks for all of the great advice. Ended up getting a used part from eBay (Iowa address), arrived encased in plastic wrap two days early - meaning I could work on it today rather than wait for next weekend.

Took us far longer to move the dryer off (they are stacked) and clean the laundry room than to do the replacement install.

Hardest part was swapping out the plastic knobs (wanted to keep our original that match).

Turned on, and it was instantly awake! Took the time to do some cleaning, even removing 3 quarters and a nickel stuck in one of the baffles. No more rattle / CLUNK when it runs. So the whole project cost less than $40 in parts (after my 80 cent 'rebate', of course!)

Removing the clinking sound (and a nice surface cleaning) makes this feel like a new machine.

[forums.macresource.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It's Alive! F/U to Broken Washing Machine
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 09, 2020 05:40PM
Overall, a washer and dryer are pretty basic and robust machines. It's the @#$%& modern controls and frequently useless bells and whistles that fail. You could build one with mechanical controls, replaceable bearings and good materials that would outlast us, and they wouldn't cost that much.

But which manufacturer would do that?
Date: February 09, 2020 05:43PM
Racer X
Overall, a washer and dryer are pretty basic and robust machines. It's the @#$%& modern controls and frequently useless bells and whistles that fail. You could build one with mechanical controls, replaceable bearings and good materials that would outlast us, and they wouldn't cost that much.

You are absolutely right.

It was the CPU panel that failed this time, something that's such a specialty part that the next failure is likely terminal despite the motor etc likely still working.

This machine WAS repairable assuming I could get the part. Another reason to try to keep it.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 09, 2020 05:43PM
Congrats. Did you learn any new $^&*$%#%^& words?
Date: February 09, 2020 05:51PM
Buck

Not I! But my wife was working in the kitchen while I was cleaning the front of the washing machine, asked me 'you have a minute'? I did a swipe, turned, and saw BLOOD on her left hand while her right was under running water!

She cut it cleaning out part of the pantry, nice groove in her thumb from a wax paper roll.

I told her I preferred working on the washing machine than such a dangerous job in the kitchen!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 09, 2020 06:24PM
smiley-score010

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2020 06:32PM
....welcome back from broke....back mountain......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 09, 2020 06:58PM
Invest another $40 and get a spare CPU while you can. Worst case you wasted $40. Best case you repair the machine again in several years, or resell that CPU for more than $40 when they get harder to find.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 09, 2020 07:17PM
DIY LEADER!

Invest another $40 and get a spare CPU while you can. Worst case you wasted $40. Best case you repair the machine again in several years, or resell that CPU for more than $40 when they get harder to find.

Agreed, if you can find another.

Unless the machine dies a catastrophic death in the next year or so, you'll have amortized the cost in time, over time, so if it never gets used you sell it or toss it at no real loss.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 09, 2020 07:50PM
space-time

That is how I think. The downside is that you forget that you have it, it gets tossed aside, or you never need it. But, I'd probably do it, too.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 09, 2020 08:15PM
mrbigstuff
space-time

That is how I think. The downside is that you forget that you have it, it gets tossed aside, or you never need it. But, I'd probably do it, too.

Put it in a ZIP LOCK and tape it to the back of the machine, and put a big freaking label on the front to remind you about it.
Date: February 09, 2020 11:06PM
I love those 1 gallon freezer ziplocks for long term parts storage. Tape 2 with mouths together if the part is really long.
Date: February 09, 2020 11:08PM
Racer X
I love those 1 gallon freezer ziplocks for long term parts storage. Tape 2 with mouths together if the part is really long.

This one is YUGE - 3/4 the width of the washing machine front...

My wife thinks I would likely lose the part, and she's probably right. Our garage is not so great in organization, and no easy spot in the laundry room to store it.
Date: February 10, 2020 02:23AM
OK, but 10 years from now, I'll tell you I told you so..............
Date: February 10, 2020 02:53AM
Racer X
OK, but 10 years from now, I'll tell you I told you so..............

If we are still in this house, we will deserve it!
Date: February 10, 2020 04:00AM
Oh, you can take your washer and dryer with you.
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 10, 2020 05:24AM
Congrats. That's always a good feeling.

My wife has an embroidery machine and the arm thing stopped working a year ago. We took a flyer on a $100 replacement from a broken machine on eBay, held our breath and it worked. Yeah!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 10, 2020 10:16AM
sekker
Buck

Not I! But my wife was working in the kitchen while I was cleaning the front of the washing machine, asked me 'you have a minute'? I did a swipe, turned, and saw BLOOD on her left hand while her right was under running water!

She cut it cleaning out part of the pantry, nice groove in her thumb from a wax paper roll.

I told her I preferred working on the washing machine than such a dangerous job in the kitchen!

Did you at least scrape your own knuckle in solidarity? I can't seem to complete a repair job without even a little scrape.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 10, 2020 11:04AM
Racer X

[speedqueen.com]

Speed Queen still make mechanical control models, their electronic control models had a longer warranty last time I looked.

=wr=
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 10, 2020 12:01PM
....but can you fix a broken.....heart.......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 10, 2020 12:28PM
mikebw
sekker
Buck

Did you at least scrape your own knuckle in solidarity? I can't seem to complete a repair job without even a little scrape.

Of course! But I’m usually the one where my wife says, ‘what did you do to get THAT bruise!’
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 10, 2020 01:54PM
sekker
mikebw
sekker
Buck

Of course! But I’m usually the one where my wife says, ‘what did you do to get THAT bruise!’

Oh man, you should have heard it when I forgot to put a pad down the last time I changed the oil. Sure my back was a little red from laying on the rough blacktop driveway, but you'd think I had suffered 20 lashes from her reaction.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018