advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
About that 2017 Equifax data breach...
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 10, 2020 12:24PM

The Justice Department announced charges Monday against four members of the Chinese military for allegedly hacking the credit bureau Equifax in 2017 and stealing the personal information of around 145 million Americans.

In an indictment handed up by a grand jury in Atlanta, the men face nine counts including conspiracy to commit computer fraud and conspiracy to commit economic espionage.

Attorney General William Barr, who announced the charges, called it the latest example of what he said was a sweeping campaign by China's government to steal seemingly endless amounts of data from the United States.

"Unfortunately, the Equifax hack fits a disturbing and unacceptable pattern of state-sponsored computer intrusions and thefts by China and its citizens that have targeted personally identifiable information, trade secrets and other confidential information."

Equifax, which is based in Atlanta, compiles information on millions of Americans as part of the loan and finance system. Last year, it agreed to pay up to $700 million in fines and monetary relief to consumers.

The four men who have been charged are members of the 54th Research Institute of the People's Liberation Army, according to the indictment.

[www.npr.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: About that 2017 Equifax data breach...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 10, 2020 06:03PM
....son.....of.....a......breach......!!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: About that 2017 Equifax data breach...
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 11, 2020 11:38AM
In related news, I am studying how to really cuss somebody out in Mandarin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018