advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have you received a Fraud Amz phone call
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 10, 2020 01:33PM
I was just notified via phone my account AMAZON was compromised. An iPhone 6 was purchased and charged to my Visa. It is a fraud and to call the Amazon Fraud number. The account would be closed if I didn't call the fraud number they gave.

I could not write down the phone number because it was given too fast. This is fortunate.

I contacted AMAZON via internet and they informed me they did not call me. My VISA, I checked, did not have a 350.00 charge!

The phone call sounded so logical. It started with an Amazon number that was long long...like a reference number.....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have you received a Fraud Amz phone call
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 10, 2020 01:43PM
No company will ever call you.

If one does, and you *really* think its legit, hang up and call them direct from your phone using their number from their web site.

There is no other option.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 10, 2020 02:05PM
My MIL got a call from “Apple” she picked up and they proceeded to call back like 10 times. My FIL showed me the call log. It’s insane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 02:38PM by Carm.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 10, 2020 02:27PM
It's a lie. I ordered an iPhone 11 on your card.
Date: February 10, 2020 02:55PM
Steve G.
It's a lie. I ordered an iPhone 11 on your card.

Well that's OK cause you are a bud.......I hope you like it. I like my 6. Everyone is happy!
Date: February 10, 2020 02:59PM
jdc
No company will ever call you.

If one does, and you *really* think its legit, hang up and call them direct from your phone using their number from their web site.

There is no other option.

MSFT( not the company ) is the only "fraudulent" type call ( saying there is a virus or something so they can sell) I have gotten but Discover calls me when my security has been breached...maybe even they don't do that anymore. Guess it is true....PROVIDENCE TAKES CARE OF FOOLS AND CHILDREN ! it took care of me not getting the phone number.

Thanks. Will remember you sage advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 02:59PM by samintx.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 10, 2020 03:27PM
I didn't get an Amazon fraud call, but I DID get one this morning from some guy trying to reach my elderly Pop, saying it was his favorite grandson. I knew right away it was a fraud call, he tried to make it sound like he knew his last name, but couldn't say it correctly. After a few more attempts that I shot down he got spooked when I told him I knew it was a fraud call and hung up on me.

I have heard of this "grandkid" in trouble scam before, not that I would have fell for it otherwise. However, I can see how an elderly person could get duped. angry smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 10, 2020 04:05PM
Rick-o
I didn't get an Amazon fraud call, but I DID get one this morning from some guy trying to reach my elderly Pop, saying it was his favorite grandson. I knew right away it was a fraud call, he tried to make it sound like he knew his last name, but couldn't say it correctly. After a few more attempts that I shot down he got spooked when I told him I knew it was a fraud call and hung up on me.

I have heard of this "grandkid" in trouble scam before, not that I would have fell for it otherwise. However, I can see how an elderly person could get duped. angry smiley

man, I would have strung that out for hours.... !

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 10, 2020 06:24PM
Locally, at a big-box retailer, they recently stopped an elderly adult who was there to buy thousands of dollars of gift cards.

I'm glad they are apparently training the cashiers at these places.
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 10, 2020 09:14PM
I am getting multiple-per-day calls from the Fireman's Benefit something or other. A couple of times I just put the phone down until they hung up (pretty quickly, I will say) but usually, since there is a hum before a live voice I know what the call is. Well, it could be VISA/MC security, which is still making an effort. Gets old after several calls (this in on our landline which we pick up on either of two rotary dial phones).

I got the grandson in trouble call a couple of years ago. Guy was sufficiently vague that I caught on pretty quick.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 11, 2020 12:03PM
Rick-o

Both my late dad and my FIL almost got scammed by that. In both cases, they volunteered a name to the scammer. My dad told his wife after the call, and she told him it was a scam, and proved it by calling my nephew to prove to my dad that it wasn't him on the call. My FIL, who is very hard of hearing, just handed the phone to my MIL who instantly knew it was a scam and hung up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 341
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018