advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Simon says?!....groundbreaking as Freeform intros gay rom-com for Valentines Day.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 10, 2020 03:06PM
.....in the vein of the movie 'Love Simon'.....Freefrom will intro gay rom com for Valentine's Day on Feb. 15th......'The Thing About Harry'......

....with Jake Borelli (from 'Grey's Anatomy' he has come out as gay....IRL).....

....doubtful that Hallmark Channel will follow suit (their romance movies only have 'white' leads and white cast, occasionally a sidekick character will be 'diverse'. At least Lifetime romance holiday movies offer diversity....all african-american cast. Hallmark is all white.....all the time)

The Thing About Harry Review: Freeform's Belated Gay Valentine Is Heartwarming, If Not Groundbreaking

.....First things first: You would have to be one seriously hardhearted bastard not to love The Thing About Harry, Freeform’s belated gay Valentine (premiering Saturday, Feb. 15, at 8/7c). Its leads — Grey’s Anatomy’s Schmitt, Jake Borelli, and newcomer Niko Terho — have chemistry for days. The script, co-written by director and co-star Peter Paige (Good Trouble), goes down as easily as a box of chocolates. Rare is the bestie/wingwoman who’s as appealing as Britt Barron (GLOW). And the movie’s “Will they or won’t they?” moments are way more loaded than they have any right to be. (Will they or won’t they? Of freaking course they will!)

That said, Harry is a classic romcom for both better and worse. Once smartypants Sam (Borelli, blocks if not miles from Grey’s nebbishy Glasses) is forced to reconnect with his now-out former high-school bully Harry (Terho, wielding his crooked smile like a lethal weapon), there’s little no doubt that these opposites will not only attract but discover that they were never really opposites to begin with. Reinventing the wheel, Harry ain’t. The movie goes on to trot out a whole lotta the genre’s clichés (right down to the tried-and-true “You’ve got an eyelash on your cheek” bit). And it further normalizes the lookism that gave Love, Simon its unpleasant aftertaste.

But to quibble with Harry, when it sticks at least the first of its two landings and left even this hardhearted bastard misty-eyed, feels like the equivalent of saying that if love isn’t perfect, it isn’t worth it. It is worth it. And in an age when the broadcast of a gay couple’s kiss can still somehow be “deemed controversial,” a movie like this isn’t just cute, fun and swoon-inducing, it’s important.

The Trouble with........Harry.......Palms.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 03:10PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Simon says?!....groundbreaking as Freeform intros gay rom-com for Valentines Day.....
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: February 10, 2020 03:31PM
Hmmm...

I'm torn: I sort of feel compelled to see this because, you know, "muh people", even though romantic comedies are way, way down the list of the types of movie I like to watch. On the other hand I have actually enjoyed watching the occasional cleverly conceived, well written rom-com from time to time. I suppose I'll have to watch it the same way people who aren't fans of horror movies watch those- poised and ready at any second to turn my head or cover my eyes during moments of extreme cringyness.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Re: Simon says?!....groundbreaking as Freeform intros gay rom-com for Valentines Day.....
Date: February 10, 2020 03:39PM
....they released trailer.....and his 'love interest'......has abs for days.......you can watch for eye candy, if nothing else.....

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 10, 2020 04:00PM
The new 911 Texas feels like a gay rom com -- starts in NY -- where Rob lowes son plays an ex addict, just turned down for marriage Im gonna kill myself gay character.

They promptly move to austin and he meets what must be the hottest gay cop in the entire city and they are off to the races. In each episode so far.

The entire shows characters a bit over the top. imho.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 10, 2020 04:02PM
....compared to the original 911 (which is also 'over the top').....yes goes even further over the top......everything seems a bit 'too forced'......the diverse cast, his cancer, etc........

....there were complaints about the sex scene between his son and the hot cop......some found it 'too much' for network television......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 04:08PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 10, 2020 04:21PM
It seems odd to me that so much media is being dedicated to telling 'gay' stories or showing gay characters. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it, but it seems to make homosexuality on even footing for hetero. It's only about 5% of the population that identifies as homosexual. Again, not saying that it's wrong, but it seems like a disproportionate representation.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 10, 2020 04:54PM
Been watching commercials for the last couple of years? It seems everyone is either a member of a mixed race family or involved in a same sex relationship or both. Like every ad agency got the memo at the same time.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 10, 2020 05:15PM
The new 911 Texas feels like a gay rom com

That's a bit over the top.

It has a lot of demographics going on and the gay arc is only one of them.

It, like a lot of shows, is trying to check all the boxes to avoid being labeled as a show that avoids the labeled demos.

As such, it runs the risk of offended somebody, no matter what they do.

'You included their group and I'm not down with that.'
'You didn't include my group and I'm not down with that.

Like every ad agency got the memo at the same time.

It seems the same with TV shows, only they take longer to produce.

The current thinking seems to be every show having to represent some alternataive demographic that what someone's idea of mainstream is.

I've noticed for the last year or more, so many shows just have to show somebody smoking dope, just like cigarette smoking seems to be a thing now in HBO/Showtime/Starz etc.

The TV show 68 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot's first episode has our heroes trying to score opium by trading antibiotics. A a real romp.

Eventually we won't notice or care, or we'll die off.

But fashion for the sake of fashion doesn't do anything for me.

Tell a good story well, and I'm there.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 10, 2020 05:19PM
I am to old for the crap newer programing on TV these daze.
What's on the Hallmark channel?
Wait I will just watch one of those British mysteries on Public Television.
Public Television does not have the offensive commercials that Hallmark shows.

smiley-laughing001

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 05:21PM by Bernie.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: February 10, 2020 06:15PM
ztirffritz
It seems odd to me that so much media is being dedicated to telling 'gay' stories or showing gay characters. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it, but it seems to make homosexuality on even footing for hetero. It's only about 5% of the population that identifies as homosexual. Again, not saying that it's wrong, but it seems like a disproportionate representation.

Any ‘disproportiate representation’ is surely a trick of your perception. Very little media is actually dedicated to telling gay stories, and only within the last couple decades have realistic gay characters even been portrayed; it used to be just caricatures. Do you know how many heterosexual themes are in media? It’s a lot. Additionally, you shouldn't have to actually be any given sexuality to find an appreciation for a story or a character in one; it's not an autobiography you're watching.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 10, 2020 06:21PM
PeterW
Been watching commercials for the last couple of years? It seems everyone is either a member of a mixed race family or involved in a same sex relationship or both. Like every ad agency got the memo at the same time.

Absolutely.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 10, 2020 07:07PM
Don't know about this movie, but if you wanna see an AWESOME romcom with some gayness, NOTHING beats 'Kissing Jessica Stein'

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 10, 2020 07:49PM
Marc Anthony
ztirffritz

Any ‘disproportiate representation’ is surely a trick of your perception. Very little media is actually dedicated to telling gay stories, and only within the last couple decades have realistic gay characters even been portrayed; it used to be just caricatures. Do you know how many heterosexual themes are in media? It’s a lot. Additionally, you shouldn't have to actually be any given sexuality to find an appreciation for a story or a character in one; it's not an autobiography you're watching.

thank you for that. plus, any sense of disproportionate representation has to also be measured against decades centuries of invisibility, denial, and erasure.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: hal
Date: February 10, 2020 09:24PM
graylocks
Marc Anthony
ztirffritz

thank you for that. plus, any sense of disproportionate representation has to also be measured against decades centuries of invisibility, denial, and erasure.

Depicting a wide range of people on TV is a GOOD thing. I was watching an AWESOME brit mini series about a family over the course of 20 years or so. There was an INSANE amount of diversity in this white family - one of the four adult children was a wheelchair bound woman, now single - gave birth to a boy (from a Chinese dad) who grew up trans. The other sister was bi, one son was gay and married to an immigrant and the other married a black woman and has a mixed family.

This was a long 6 part mini series and at the beginning, my eyes were rolling - they are just trying too hard I think to myself. It's distracting... but it wasn't for long. It's a damned good story and by the end of the first part, all of these diverse characters were just characters. It was easy to get used to it. And lord know, some people need to get used to it.

Year and Years [www.imdb.com] damned good show
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 11, 2020 03:19AM
Marc Anthony
ztirffritz

Any ‘disproportiate representation’ is surely a trick of your perception. Very little media is actually dedicated to telling gay stories, and only within the last couple decades have realistic gay characters even been portrayed; it used to be just caricatures.

Yes, this. Remember when Jack Tripper was the pinnacle of gay representation on TV?

It is what it is.
Date: February 11, 2020 08:16AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Marc Anthony
ztirffritz

Any ‘disproportiate representation’ is surely a trick of your perception. Very little media is actually dedicated to telling gay stories, and only within the last couple decades have realistic gay characters even been portrayed; it used to be just caricatures.

Yes, this. Remember when Jack Tripper was the pinnacle of gay representation on TV?

I do. Even sadder, I remember that he was in some ways considered a notable improvement as far as gay representation went over characters like Marty Morrison, the extravagantly stereotypical gay purse-snatcher character who occasionally appeared on Barney Miller. Let that sink in for a moment: Jack Tripper, a character who was not gay but who wildly overdid it (for comedic effect) in pretending to be gay about once an episode for the first few years was still considered better representation of the gay community than what had been written and performed as genuinely gay characters that went before him.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Date: February 11, 2020 09:13AM
.....there actually has not been much 'gay representation'....usually sidekick/comedic friend......and usually woman-to-woman is more representative.......man-to-man is hidden behind the cupboard........

Date: February 11, 2020 10:49AM
NewtonMP2100
.....there actually has not been much 'gay representation'....usually sidekick/comedic friend......and usually woman-to-woman is more representative.......man-to-man is hidden behind the cupboard........

I love John Amos and Stacy Keach's gay couple on Two and a Half Men.

It is what it is.
Date: February 11, 2020 10:53AM
Thrift Store Scott
N-OS X-tasy!
Marc Anthony
ztirffritz

I do. Even sadder, I remember that he was in some ways considered a notable improvement as far as gay representation went over characters like Marty Morrison, the extravagantly stereotypical gay purse-snatcher character who occasionally appeared on Barney Miller. Let that sink in for a moment: Jack Tripper, a character who was not gay but who wildly overdid it (for comedic effect) in pretending to be gay about once an episode for the first few years was still considered better representation of the gay community than what had been written and performed as genuinely gay characters that went before him.

Of course you understand why that was, Scott? America was not yet ready at the time to address actual homosexuality face-to-face. Ritter's Tripper just made the first bite go down a bit easier.

Actually, I think Billy Crystal's Jodie on Soap did more to move forward acceptance of gays at the time than Ritter's Tripper did.

It is what it is.
Date: February 11, 2020 11:34AM
.....remember the good ol' college days.....when it was o.k. to 'experiment'......???

Date: February 11, 2020 03:49PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Thrift Store Scott
N-OS X-tasy!
Marc Anthony
ztirffritz

Of course you understand why that was, Scott? America was not yet ready at the time to address actual homosexuality face-to-face. Ritter's Tripper just made the first bite go down a bit easier.

Actually, I think Billy Crystal's Jodie on Soap did more to move forward acceptance of gays at the time than Ritter's Tripper did.

Oh absolutely, for two reasons: Within the context of Soap Jodie was one of the more down-to-earth, "normal" characters aside from being gay, plus he tended to date guys you'd never know were gay unless they told you so.

Jodie also got to say what has long been one of my favorite euphemisms for being gay- "He has more than a passing interest in shepherds".

Date: February 11, 2020 03:52PM
.....there aren't that many movies with gay characters as 'central'/lead characters.......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 03:55PM by NewtonMP2100.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018