advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Plug Laptop via USB into a TV with HDMI (For conference room).
Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 10, 2020 05:06PM
HELP. The sales manager has asked me to find a way for him to plug in his Dell Laptop (USB) to our conference room TV. The TV does have HDMI and even has USB. However, he said he was at a customers place and they had him plug his laptop into a USB cable/device and it popped up on their conference room TV. No drivers... Just plug and play. Of course, he "thinks" it's a standalone device but he didn't get a brand or a name or ask so I'm looking at tons of products on amazon that "may" do what I want it to do but not sure. I'm thinking I could run a long USB cabinet from the TV to conference table (and a HDMI cable) and see if that works. But, would be nice if I could just purchase a little device of some kind that has HDMI out to the TV and whatever you plug into it it just displays on the screen.

Any suggestions? Not looking for a bargain, just something that works.

Thanks much!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Plug Laptop via USB into a TV with HDMI (For conference room).
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 10, 2020 05:39PM
It will have to be USB 3 to work, I believe. The TV will become a second display that you should "mirror" the TV and run on the laptop whatever the sales mgr wants. Be sure to change the sound output to the TV so you can have sufficient volume (TV remote).

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 10, 2020 05:55PM
Is this USB-C?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 10, 2020 06:08PM
I ran a monitor from my 2010 iMacs USB 2 port no problem. Although it was DVI. made by visiontek connect

Doubt if there was any video acceleration.

like this [www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 06:10PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 10, 2020 06:33PM
We have these at work: [www.barco.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 10, 2020 06:45PM
We use the Barco devices too. Expensive but very nice. Great for sharing screens on a big TV.
Get your sales guy an HMDI dongle. His laptop may also have a DVI port, they make DVI to HDMI adapters. I also keep an HDMI to VGA Adapter Handy for old school monitors and whatnot. Low res, but it works.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 10, 2020 07:23PM
I am tempted to guess USB-C like C(-)ris, but it would really help to know the specific model.

Most of the ~$45 USB A monitor adapters need some sort of driver, but Win10 might have it installed.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 11, 2020 06:16AM
The Barco devices look cool. But, might be overkill. He has a Dell XPS 13 9360 from 2017 and Dell's site isn't very helpful when I logged in and saw his specs. Will look when he gets in at the connections on his. I am pretty sure it does have USB-C but not 100% sure.
Date: February 11, 2020 11:42AM
The 13" XPS Infinity Edge is a nice model. The Setup Guide says it has Thunderbolt 3 with DisplayPort 1.2. It could still be a USB-A device that didn't need drivers, but Thunderbolt/DisplayPort means that it has great external display options by default.
[topics-cdn.dell.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: dk62
Date: February 12, 2020 11:12AM
I am pretty sure Win 10 has the driver already installed. We use a USB docking station for this purpose, but any of the cheaper adapters from Amazon should work.
Date: February 12, 2020 12:17PM
Just confirmed... I'm 99% sure it has a USB-C (small oval slot) and a standard USB style port. He said when he was at his customers he just plugged it in and it worked. That being said, any of these wireless? Such as I can plug a HDMI dongle off the TV/HDMI port and then something sits on the desk that you plug your laptop into via USB-C, USB, HDMI, etc. and it just mirrors right to the TV?
Date: February 13, 2020 06:34PM
spacescape
That being said, any of these wireless? Such as I can plug a HDMI dongle off the TV/HDMI port and then something sits on the desk that you plug your laptop into via USB-C, USB, HDMI, etc. and it just mirrors right to the TV?

Intel was trying to get it known as WiDi. Many Intel based laptops have it built in, I think it was 5th gen and later.
www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/adapters/wireless-display-adapter-2/p3q-00001

The Google Chromecast could stream videos. I don't know how well it mirrors plain desktop use. Plenty of results at Amazon if you just search "WiDi Dongle."

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 230
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020