advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New video on the Japan tsunami March 11, 2011
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: February 11, 2020 11:56AM
At least new to me. Just posted a few weeks ago. Amazing video from inside the Japanese airport near the ocean.

[www.youtube.com]

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 12:00PM by tuqqer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New video on the Japan tsunami March 11, 2011
Posted by: clay
Date: February 11, 2020 12:09PM
wow. unrelenting.
Date: February 11, 2020 12:12PM
clay
wow. unrelenting.
My exact response. Couldn't believe how long the earthquake went on, and how instantly the sea rose and overran everything.

I was in Berkeley during the 1989 Loma quake that flattened the bridges and overpasses, and it wasn't anywhere near this long.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 11, 2020 01:07PM
That was a very unusual airport. Was that the right link?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 11, 2020 01:13PM
Amazing. Those people who were watching must have been increasingly frightened as the water rose. I wonder how close it got to where they were standing.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 11, 2020 01:42PM
Very frightening. What a terrible ordeal to experience.

IIRC, I read way back when it happened that there were ancient signs posted on high ground warning not to build below the point where the signs were posted.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jonny
Date: February 11, 2020 03:34PM
holy cow
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 11, 2020 03:39PM
No airport in that one, which was posted on YT years ago.

Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 11, 2020 04:59PM
tuqqer
At least new to me. Just posted a few weeks ago. Amazing video from inside the Japanese airport near the ocean.

[www.youtube.com]

Is this the one you meant?

youtub

It's been around a while too. Can't imagine being in one that long. The Hanshin one was about 20 seconds but seemed like10 minutes. Looks like if you were sitting down, you'd feel safer lying down.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 11, 2020 05:39PM
lost in space
tuqqer

[www.youtube.com]

youtub

It's been around a while too. Can't imagine being in one that long. The Hanshin one was about 20 seconds but seemed like10 minutes. Looks like if you were sitting down, you'd feel safer lying down.

Looked to be about 2min 30sec of actual quake in the video. Strong quakes can only shake so hard so they shake long instead. The 8.4 I felt while in Chile in 2015 lasted 4min 30 sec. Seemed longer, though.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 11, 2020 05:42PM
Speedy
lost in space
tuqqer

[www.youtube.com]

youtub

Looked to be about 2min 30sec of actual quake in the video. Strong quakes can only shake so hard so they shake long instead. The 8.4 I felt while in Chile in 2015 lasted 4min 30 sec. Seemed longer, though.

Your knees shake for a good couple minutes after... that's why it seems longer. At least, all the 7.0+ quakes I've been in, that's what happened.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 11, 2020 06:10PM
Speedy
... The 8.4 I felt while in Chile in 2015 lasted 4min 30 sec. Seemed longer, though.

Wow, you were in Chile! That's a story I'd like to hear more on. One of the few countries still on my bucket list.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 11, 2020 09:26PM
tuqqer
Speedy
... The 8.4 I felt while in Chile in 2015 lasted 4min 30 sec. Seemed longer, though.

Wow, you were in Chile! That's a story I'd like to hear more on. One of the few countries still on my bucket list.

You can search for my posts about the quake. I was in Chile with my wife who was directing a study-abroad trip for a semester. We had a wonderful time! We had, IIRC, 17 students. With the unrest in Chile this past end-of-year, they have only eight students for this next semester beginning in August.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018