advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another stupid thing the inter-social-media-webs is passing around: Brooms that can stand due to gravitational alignment of the whoositwhatzit
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 11, 2020 04:07PM
[heavy.com]

The Broom Challenge went viral on numerous social media platforms on Monday, in which users online believed that the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) announced that the Earth’s rotation would be “in perfect balance” on February 10, and therefore, it would be possible for a broom to balance standing up.

On Tik-Tok, Twitter and Instagram, users shared their videos and photos of brooms standing upright with no assistance. It appeared to be magic, but many people explained the phenomenon by saying it was linked to the Earth’s current gravitational pull and location in the universe. It is not a hoax that a broom can stand up on its own if balanced properly on the bristles, but it happens any day, not just on February 10.

There Is No Gravitational-Pull-Based Science That Causes a Broom to Stand Up on February 10
While it’s good, clean fun, this challenge is not based on any science, and NASA did not announce that because of the Earth’s gravitational pull around the spring equinox that brooms would suddenly be able to stand up straight. The spring equinox, also known as the vernal equinox, won’t occur until March 19, so it’s not clear why the story even went viral on February 10.

In an interview with Portal R7, published by Time 24 News, the director of the UNESP Astrophysics Institute, Rodolfo Langhi, said that there is no physical relationship with the fact that the brooms are standing.

“It depends on the base of the object, the heavier and wider it is, the greater the chances of standing, Langhi said. “The same brooms that appear in the photos can be balanced at any time of the year.”

So to surmise, brooms with a wide enough brush can stand up on their own regardless of the Earth’s location and level of gravitational pull between planets. The original mention of NASA’s announcement of The Broom Challenge Theory has yet to be located.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another stupid thing the inter-social-media-webs is passing around: Brooms that can stand due to gravitational alignment of the whoositwhatzit
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 11, 2020 04:20PM
This is great!

Now I don't have to go The Mystery Spot to experience gradational marvels of disbelief.

And I can stop eating Tide Pods while getting buckets of ice water dumped on me.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Another stupid thing the inter-social-media-webs is passing around: Brooms that can stand due to gravitational alignment of the whoositwhatzit
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 11, 2020 04:24PM
I remember people saying that on a certain day one could balance and egg.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: DP
Date: February 11, 2020 04:27PM
More proof that social media's contribution to society is to prove that humans are devolving!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 11, 2020 04:36PM
ztirffritz
I remember people saying that on a certain day one could balance and egg.

Yes, this is a rerun of the same old stupid stunt.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 11, 2020 05:18PM
Old News - this guy was doing the same thing back in the 80's

New is Old - Youtube link.... smiley-excited001
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 11, 2020 09:21PM
....so.......broom....goes the dynamite.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 11, 2020 10:05PM
Wait. Which what proves that humans are devolving? That people fascinated with balancing brooms or the puffy chested people mocking them?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 11, 2020 10:09PM
I am devolving, just stood my broom up in 1/2 a second to see if I could do it.

Posted by: DP
Date: February 12, 2020 06:53AM
datbeme
Wait. Which what proves that humans are devolving? That people fascinated with balancing brooms or the puffy chested people mocking them?

Yes!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 12, 2020 11:52AM
RAMd®d
This is great!

Now I don't have to go The Mystery Spot to experience gradational marvels of disbelief.

And I can stop eating Tide Pods while getting buckets of ice water dumped on me.

Thanks for the reminder! I need another Mystery Spot t-shirt…

=wr=
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 13, 2020 11:04AM
OMG some people are so dumb banghead smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 294
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018