advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OSX EL Cap on a mac pro (mid 2010). What are my upgrade options?
Posted by: weapon
Date: February 11, 2020 04:35PM
I still use daily CS6 (ai,ps,id mostly). I will not be renting adobe software so that is out as the CS6 does everything I need.

What is the most modern OSX operating system that I can upgrade to that will not cause problems and still support legacy apps and peripherals.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OSX EL Cap on a mac pro (mid 2010). What are my upgrade options?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 11, 2020 05:21PM
I'm in the same boat so I'm interested in responses.

The only thing useful I can add is that I use Photoshop CS3 and I briefly used both El Capitan and Sierra. CS3 worked, but IIRC, it would crash on quit.

I don't know for sure, but I would expect CS6 to work on Sierra at least.

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm still using Mavericks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 05:25PM by AllGold.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 11, 2020 05:21PM
It’s too broad a question. it depends on which apps and peripherals you’re talking about. You need to name the apps and then maybe people could help you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 06:12PM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 11, 2020 06:03PM
What video card do you have installed in your MP?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 11, 2020 07:21PM
If I were one of you guys clinging to an old expensive software package, I'd start looking into an old machine to run that software that stays OFF the internet. Just let it work CS6 or whatever and do nothing else. Quad core i7 minis are getting cheap. Older imacs are a bargain.

If you are trying to run old CS and new secure browsers on the same machine it will be a constant challenge and will be completely impossible too soon.

TO answer the OP, I'd want to do lots of testing. How much of CS6 works under which OS? I'd try to get 10.14 installed and working.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 11, 2020 07:26PM
Is there some reason you need/want to update?

I mean its what, like 5 years old now, and the last update Im guessing was, 2+ years ago? And its been fine since then, correct?

If you have a decent amount of ram, booting from a fast SSD, software works and the video is fine... then why bother?

If it aint broke, dont fix it?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 11, 2020 08:13PM
You have to upgrade as browsers stop working and other items are only optimized for new operations systems. There is a stopping point that eventually happens in all lifecycles. I want to find out where that is, get all the way up to the line and make a CCC of that systems for emergency backup purposes.

I have a fast SSD, 18Tb of storage/scratch disk space, Radeon HD 5870 graphics card, 20 GB ram and 2 x 2.93 6 cores. I am not doing 3d or video. Just print graphics, Photoshop, Illustrator and indesign. It is plenty fast for those needs.

I am working on setting up a duplicate machine, free from any experimental or trial software, lean and clean just for work only purposes. I have 2 exact spec cheesegraters. I can test but I do not want to load OS's and then find out I jumped too far into the future and have to start over again. Or the newer OS bogs and I get spinning beachballs as it is looking for hardware that is not present in the machine.

So instead of giving advice on what we don't know or asking ancillary questions, let us center our attention on the main question:
What is the last OS that behaves properly with CS6 (this is the most important software) in a machine of the above specs?

I figure if the os handles CS6 properly then the modern peripherals (within the last 5 years) will also work (not appletalk/legacy items).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 08:17PM by weapon.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: February 11, 2020 08:28PM
According to Roaring Apps, PS CS6 will work on Mojave:
[roaringapps.com]

I use Sierra and it works well. I'm staying on Sierra since I prefer the iWork 09 suite as well.
Date: February 11, 2020 08:37PM
ohh that is an interesting website. thanks.
I figure catalina might be the end of the line for the OS and my machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 08:40PM by weapon.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 11, 2020 11:03PM
Mojave is the end of the line for supported systems on the 2010 Mac Pro. I have my doubts that the CS6 product will work past High Sierra, despite what that website says. It might open, but I bet it is buggy and difficult to get working right.

If you are stuck on CS6 I would just leave it where it is and not upgrade it at all.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 12, 2020 06:24AM
With that hardware, you can go no further than High Sierra. Mojave would require a better video card at a price of $125 - $300.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 12, 2020 10:20AM
PeterW
With that hardware, you can go no further than High Sierra. Mojave would require a better video card at a price of $125 - $300.

Yeah, that about sums it up. My 2012 is still on El Cap, but I could go to Catalina if desired as I have a 7950 video card. But I doubt I'll go any higher than Sierra. I haven't rushed to update because everything I need to do works right now. And Firefox is still getting updates, so no problems there.
Date: February 12, 2020 09:37PM
Cool I will push to high sierra and see what happens. I will also make a ccc of the el captain systems in case I need to go back.
Posted by: ADent
Date: February 16, 2020 02:13AM
I have been very happy with High Sierra so far.

The only bummer is the with APFS format you can not use an older OS to see the disk (had to boot in older OS to install MS Office 2008 and it caused an extra step or two).

PS Apple Mail in El Capitan is truly slow and annoying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018