advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
BEEP!....     BEEP!....     BEEP!....   Why is our APC 1500VA UPS Beeping?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 11, 2020 06:22PM
Recently replaced the batteries in the APC 1500VA UPS, so that shouldn't be the problem, but starting a few hours ago, the UPS began beeping and/or cycling its switch every couple of minutes or so. No red light, just goes from green to yellow when doing its thing, then back to green. There is no high power draw on it, most stuff is either powered off, or in sleep or standby mode.

There are a bunch of worker bees working on the building next door running some serious equipment, but that oughta be on a separate circuit, y/n? Though for whatever reason, the UPS does seem to beep more when the heavy equipment is in use. FWIW, we have two other UPS's plugged in here, too, and they don't beep. Same deal for time being, no major power draw on 'em. Both also 1500VA, one is another APC, though slightly better model, and the other is a Cyber Power.

So, is the equipment from next door somehow causing/influencing the beeping? Or something else? No joy online, or from the manual. The batteries in the other two units were also recently replaced; all three were replaced within about a 60 - 90 day period last summer.
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: BEEP!....     BEEP!....     BEEP!....   Why is our APC 1500VA UPS Beeping?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 11, 2020 06:26PM
yes, probably power (voltage) fluctuations.

Do you have a DMM? or the better Cyberpower should have a digital display with input voltage. What does that say?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 06:26PM by space-time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 11, 2020 06:27PM
....Road.....Runner.....?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: February 11, 2020 07:11PM
batteries are being made dirt cheap these days - wouldn't surprise me at all if that battery has simply failed.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 11, 2020 07:24PM
Seems like the UPS is keeping the voltage stable during brownout or surge conditions and alerting you to the event.

Press the menu button a few times and you'll see a number representing recent events. See if it's a high number.

Posted by: weapon
Date: February 11, 2020 07:42PM
Consistent beeping means you need new batteries.
Date: February 11, 2020 07:52PM
plug this UPS into the Cyberpower, see it it still beeps. it if does, then bad batteries. it it stops beeping, then it's a voltage issues.
Date: February 11, 2020 08:14PM
....have you been cursing [ maybe it is bleeping you ]........???

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 11, 2020 09:28PM
Is the one that beeps the only one with AVR?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 11, 2020 09:38PM
On recent APC UPS, you can set the threshold voltage where the unit will beep to alert you of low voltage by pressing and holding the power button. You may have inadvertently changed this setting when you installed the new battery. Check the manual for details.
Date: February 11, 2020 11:00PM
The beeper is an APC Back-UPS XS 1500, the other APC is a bit boxier, is also 1500VA, has a much fuller featured LCD display, was like $100 more on super sale, and is the one I wished I'd bought a few more of.... even though, IIRC, the sale had a onesy limit. It's tucked too far under the desk to retrieve the model number. Those were the first two (of the the three) that the batteries were replaced in, but I'm too old to easily remember which one got their new batteries first. The Cyber Power was born as a 1300VA (or maybe 1350VA?) unit, but a little web sleuthing showed that using a higher capacity battery set, than the OEM pair, turned it into a 1500VA model... and that just happened to mean using the same batteries for all three of 'em.

And now for the update.... once the worker bees from the building next door stopped working with their power hungry equipment, the beeping APC also stopped beeping, and hasn't beeped since. The units are individually metered, and the buildings are separate, so how/why could there be so much bleed over so as cause a mini brown out? And why did it take a couple of hours of their working before the beeping kicked in? Or was it some other random occurrence(s)? Is history gonna repeat itself tomorrow if they fire up their power operated noisemakers again?
Thanks.
==
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 12, 2020 01:25AM
Several decades ago, I had issues with even a medical grade power conditioner kicking my digital video system offline. It turns out a massive machine running 480v would power on and off while I was running my equipment. They were both on the same substation and transformer from 14.4KV down to the 480 running into the facility.

Took us 3 trips over to that facilty over a years time to figure it out. We hooked up a data logger to the power and found out that it happened when a massive industrial environmental "oven" cycled on and off. It had its own data logger as part of the test protocol, and the times lined up.
Date: February 12, 2020 06:05AM
....what the *beep*......have you tried *beep'n* the 'beep'n'.....*beep*.......??

Date: February 12, 2020 10:34AM
Racer X
Several decades ago, I had issues with even a medical grade power conditioner kicking my digital video system offline. It turns out a massive machine running 480v would power on and off while I was running my equipment. They were both on the same substation and transformer from 14.4KV down to the 480 running into the facility.

Took us 3 trips over to that facilty over a years time to figure it out. We hooked up a data logger to the power and found out that it happened when a massive industrial environmental "oven" cycled on and off. It had its own data logger as part of the test protocol, and the times lined up.

The building next door is vacant, and most, if not all, of the power is shut off. I'm not sure whether they're using construction power, or if one of the two "house" meters is active. The 5 unit meters are off, as is the building's outside lighting meter.... not sure about the building's appliance/utility meter. It'll be interesting to see (hear?) if the beeps come back today. The noise they're making next door is getting to be ridiculous; it's been going on in some fashion for about two years now, and the 5 - 6 hours of beeping yesterday didn't help.

FWIW, the meter on the better APC got down to 112 - 113v (it's back to 118v now) when it's sibling was beeping, and now that I think about it, I did try to turn on our little space heater a couple of times yesterday, and it would run for something not quite a minute, and shut off. Tried it 3X the first time, and 2X the second time, a little over half an hour later, then gave up for the day, but it's working OK now. Not sure if that was related to the 112v reading thing, or not. Didin't think of that until now. Only thing I hear next door (so far) now, is a circular saw mixed w/ a sander; separately so far.

Seems odd that it would effect our building's electrical.
Thanks.
==
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 12, 2020 02:28PM
I have UPS's that make a beep or two every time the laser printer (on a different circuit breaker) starts warming up to print it's first page. I've always chalked it up to a momentary voltage drop and the UPS is reacting correctly.
Date: February 12, 2020 04:15PM
GGD
I have UPS's that make a beep or two every time the laser printer (on a different circuit breaker) starts warming up to print it's first page. I've always chalked it up to a momentary voltage drop and the UPS is reacting correctly.

I have that happen too. I think they used thin wiring (probably 14 gauge instead of 12).

Laser printers suck a lot of power to heat up the fuser. That is why you never put a laser printer on a UPS.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 12, 2020 04:37PM
space-time
GGD

I have that happen too. I think they used thin wiring (probably 14 gauge instead of 12).

Laser printers suck a lot of power to heat up the fuser. That is why you never put a laser printer on a UPS.

Or on the same circuit. As for GGD's laser printer being on a different breaker, the two breakers can be on the same "hot" line feeding into the breaker box. The inrush current could be enough to briefly drop the voltage and set off the beep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020