Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Virtual Machine for 32 bit Apps: Anyone Running This
Posted by: steveroberts
Date: February 11, 2020 09:47PM
Hi Friends,

Looks like I'll be trading up my mid-2011 iMac to a mid-2017 i7 iMac.

I'm thinking of jumping from High Sierra to Catalina, which will leave a bunch of my apps behind, most notably Adobe CS6 and Microsoft Office 2011.

I've got VMware Fusion 11.5 pro and currently use it to run a 10.8 VM.

How practical would it be to set up a High Sierra VM and run side by side with Catalina. If feasible, what is the best way to go about doing so?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

SR
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Virtual Machine for 32 bit Apps: Anyone Running This
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2020 10:01PM
Seems like you have everything you need to try it out and see if it will work for you. Set up your High Sierra VM and run it from High Sierra. Transition to Catalina when you're confident it will work.

Posted by: rz
Date: February 12, 2020 10:33AM
Yeah, best way to figure it out is to try it. When Apple phased out the use of PPC code in the OS (I think it was Lion), I setup a VM of Snow Leopard that I use to this day. About once a week, I fire up the VM and run the app that I like (MT Newswatcher). I use Parallels, but it would probably work with VMWare too. It helps to have two monitors.
Posted by: jonny
Date: February 12, 2020 01:39PM
Let us know how it goes!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 12, 2020 02:07PM
rz
Yeah, best way to figure it out is to try it. When Apple phased out the use of PPC code in the OS (I think it was Lion), I setup a VM of Snow Leopard that I use to this day. About once a week, I fire up the VM and run the app that I like (MT Newswatcher). I use Parallels, but it would probably work with VMWare too. It helps to have two monitors.

I also have a partition with Snow Leopard. And yes, it exists almost entirely because of a Usenet newsreader (in my case, Thoth, not MT Newswatcher). But I never use it any more because there's basically nothing on Usenet these days.

I tried to get it running as a VM with Virtual Box (because it's free) but never got it to work, so I would just reboot. My problem is I don't have a server version of Snow Leopard. I have read there is a way to do it with the client version but I never figured it out and didn't want to spend much time on it since I could just reboot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018