The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lower Rx Costs, would this help?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 12, 2020 12:16PM
Poll
Standardize packaging from the manufacturer
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
16 votes were received.
Yes 5

31%
No 8

50%
Maybe 2

13%
Doesn't matter to me, I live in my parents' basement! 0

0%
I don't care. 1

6%

If drugs were packaged at the factory in standardized containers in a manner
similar to canned foods, etc.
Common quantities for 30, 60, & 90 day supplies instead of the big jars that have
to be doled out in the smaller units.
I got this hair-brained idea after hearing a pharmacist complain this morning about
all the different sized containers she had to purchase, etc.
I thought, if the whole world can agree on a uniform 5oz can for tuna, why not?
dunno smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lower Rx Costs, would this help?
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 12, 2020 12:23PM
But that would be a change in the way we have always done it.

Can't have that, now can we?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 12, 2020 12:34PM
MrNoBody

I got this hair-brained idea after hearing a pharmacist complain this morning about
all the different sized containers she had to purchase, etc.

What if she had to stock every medicine in every conceivable size?

She also probably gets some sort of volume discount by buying large containers of medicines.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 12, 2020 12:40PM
And thats why you get 40 pills in a 3" bottle. They order bulk in like 3 sizes and just use whatever.

Im 1000% sure whomever makes pill bottles is a bazzilionaire

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 12, 2020 12:45PM
In theory it should BUT, LOTS of different sizes (and shapes). A 90 day supply of tiny pills would NOT need the large container that a 90 day supply of large capsules would require. I also suspect that many Rx users with chronic conditions do NOT have insurance that cover 90 day refills. A few months ago, I switched from Express Scripts (a truly evil provider) and started with PillPack (an Amazon company). Express Scripts broke my and my doctor's balls just about every time refills were needed BUT, ES does 90 refills. PillPack has been MUCH more customer oriented but, PP does NOT do 90 day refills.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 12, 2020 12:52PM
.....is this Rx-rated.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: raz
Date: February 12, 2020 01:36PM
pill bottle size is in the noise. They can't cost more than a few pennies apiece. On the other hand, I refilled two scripts this month for over $2600. It's full price until I meet my deductible.

They throw in the bottles for free sad smiley

Now, if we had a single entity negotiating drug prices like the rest of the civilized world ...

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 12, 2020 01:57PM
They already do that for some drugs that are taken for the long term, maybe just for a 90 day supply. Pharmacist just slaps a label on the still sealed bottle.

Two drugs that I've seen it with are Atorvastatin and Pantoprazole.

And for eye medication that is either drops or salve, those have always been in the manufacturer packaging.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 12, 2020 02:28PM
It isn't about the cost, it is about the profit margin.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: rz
Date: February 12, 2020 02:45PM
testcase
I switched from Express Scripts (a truly evil provider) and started with PillPack (an Amazon company). Express Scripts broke my and my doctor's balls just about every time refills were needed BUT, ES does 90 refills.

We're experiencing the fun of Express Scripts now. My son is on medication that it took the doctor two years to finally determine was the right one. Switched health insurance this year, and now have to deal with ES. They are refusing to cover the cost because a lower cost alternative exists. Doesn't matter that he's already tried it and it doesn't work. They want to force us into going through the same damn process of trial and error until they'll cover it.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 12, 2020 02:50PM
Ombligo

Today's most sigworthy response so far..., by far.
==
Posted by: raz
Date: February 12, 2020 03:32PM
rz
testcase
I switched from Express Scripts (a truly evil provider) and started with PillPack (an Amazon company). Express Scripts broke my and my doctor's balls just about every time refills were needed BUT, ES does 90 refills.

We're experiencing the fun of Express Scripts now. My son is on medication that it took the doctor two years to finally determine was the right one. Switched health insurance this year, and now have to deal with ES. They are refusing to cover the cost because a lower cost alternative exists. Doesn't matter that he's already tried it and it doesn't work. They want to force us into going through the same damn process of trial and error until they'll cover it.

As evil as Express Scripts is, and I am not defending them, this is standard practice. My daughter is going through the same thing now that she's 26 and off our insurance. Her new provider wants her to go through the same meds that didn't work earlier.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 12, 2020 04:28PM
Express Scripts bites. We were forced over to them a few years ago. I have nothing good to say about them.

We in the U.S. need to fix the broken health care system. Corps are getting rich and the people here can't get decent health care. <RANT>

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 12, 2020 04:40PM
Ombligo

Yup. The clarion call I’ve always heard to set prices sky high is, ‘But, research costs!’ (After which pharma still somehow manages to make golden goose level profits).
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 12, 2020 04:49PM
Blankity Blank
Ombligo

Yup. The clarion call I’ve always heard to set prices sky high is, ‘But, research costs!’ (After which pharma still somehow manages to make golden goose level profits).

And they are spending more on advertising than research from some reports.
No.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 12, 2020 04:57PM
But it would increase the profit margins of all between the manufacturer and the retailer.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 12, 2020 08:20PM
Most of prescription drugs come in giant bottles. The pharmacist pours them out and puts them in the little containers and gets a little markup or kickback for that.

It costs very little to package and distribute medications this way.

It certainly has little or no connection to the near-constant price-hikes for medications in this country. (Lack of regulation and a strong motive to boost both stock prices and executive compensation seem to be the main factors for that.)

So, no. It wouldn't lower drug prices to have the manufacturers pre-package them for you.

It would raise prices.

A lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2020 08:20PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: February 13, 2020 06:29AM
Also, for the counting part, there are little grids that help to count out 30 or 100 pills... and a lot of places have automated dispensing.

Some people request 31 pills vs. 30 - I can’t blame them if the copay is the same.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018