Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The court let T-Mobile buy Sprint because Sprint completely sucks
Posted by: numbered
Date: February 12, 2020 06:09PM
More on the merger: Nilay Patel dunks on the judge's decision:

And… it turns out that Judge Marrero thinks CEO John Legere and the rest of T-Mobile’s executives are extremely cool and smart and that Dish Network is definitely trustworthy and that everything is going to work out great.

Also, the judge thinks that Sprint sucks. Really, if there’s one major takeaway here, it’s that Victor Marrero, a federal judge selected by Bill Clinton for a lifetime appointment on the federal judiciary, thinks that Sprint is a bad company with a crap network run by dummies. This is the law now.

The post is pretty funny with the judge credulously accepting hype of various kinds from Legere and from Charlie Ergen of Dish.

And on to how Dish will implement the new competitor:

This is a complicated plan, and one of the arguments in the case was that Dish wouldn’t actually go through with it. It’s a lot cheaper to just hoard the spectrum and sell it at a premium to one of the bigger players later. But Judge Marrero looked into Dish chairman Charlie Ergen’s ~vibes~ and decided to roll the dice on the ol’ maverick.

But what if Dish doesn’t keep its promises or T-Mobile does some shady tricks to limit access to its network? Don’t worry, says Judge Marrero. A DOJ-appointed monitor will keep everyone in line!

It’s honestly a little cute and heartwarming that Judge Marrero thinks a government lawyer will be able to police how well T-Mobile treats Dish Network as an MVNO customer.

Judge Marrero also seemed wowed by Dish Network’s 5G buildout plan, which he thinks does not require “large amounts of hardware” because, um, Amazon will be involved. It is true that Dish has grand plans for a software-defined network, which has been a holy grail for a long time. But it is also true that there are literally no vendors for such a network right now, and the strategy is so unproven that experts in wireless industry trade pubs are saying Dish’s plan might actually cost more money to build because so many new and disparate pieces will have to be integrated. And Dish chairman Charlie Ergen has flatly admitted that this approach might entirely fail because it’s so new. It’s mystifying why the court decided to just accept the hype as reality here, except that Judge Marrero was taken by Ergen’s confidence on the stand.

And finally, the piece de resistance is that the judge does not think Legere will raise prices because he is too good:

This is truly remarkable. The judge has decided that T-Mobile is going to stay aggressive and keep prices low to take market share, even though its own executives have discussed the merger in terms of raising prices. And this is all because the judge watched Legere and the other T-Mobile execs and decided he loved them. Seriously!

You just can't make this stuff up.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The court let T-Mobile buy Sprint because Sprint completely sucks
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 12, 2020 06:12PM

Also, the judge thinks that Sprint sucks. Really, if there’s one major takeaway here, it’s that Victor Marrero, a federal judge selected by Bill Clinton for a lifetime appointment on the federal judiciary, thinks that Sprint is a bad company with a crap network run by dummies. This is the law now.

Having used Sprint for the past 10 months, I completely agree. It's only worth what I pay for it, about $4 a month in taxes (via a free for a year BYOD promo). If I was paying more, I would have jumped carriers immediately.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 12, 2020 07:00PM
In the past I've switched cell phone vendors for better deals but SPRINT is the only network I've quit due to their atrocious level of service.
Posted by: jonny
Date: February 12, 2020 07:16PM
Been using Sprint's network (through resellers) for years. Had no problems.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 12, 2020 08:26PM
jmo, Charlie Ergen is a serial equivocator and a conman on the scale of Don Lapre or Reed Slatkin.
If his lips are moving, hold on to your wallet!

oth, I switched to Sprint from T-Mobile and have no complaints.
Bill is way lower than it was on T.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 13, 2020 12:08AM
jonny
Been using Sprint's network (through resellers) for years. Had no problems.

Works fine for me too. Coast to Coast.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 13, 2020 11:40AM
Quality of service is very dependent on where you are in the country. If you don't travel much, Sprint may be an option if they have good coverage in your area. In general though, they have the worst nationwide coverage of any major network. I have traveled with clients and colleagues that have had Sprint and they constantly complained about coverage.

Five years ago, T Mobile would have been in third place, significantly behind ATT and Verizon. Up until that time, my corporate phone was on T mobile and my personal phone on ATT. A lot of places that I traveled had little to no coverage for my corporate phone, while my personal phone had average to full coverage. I can't speak to their coverage now as they have invested in their network significantly.

Coverage is a toss up between ATT and Verizon. I go some places where one is clearly better than the other. Usually in favor of Verizon. However, ATT has a much better international travel plan than Verizon. So, I stick with ATT.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 13, 2020 11:44AM
This merger only moved forward because of politics. Not it's merits or demerits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018