advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tooth whitening with LED?
Posted by: Drew
Date: February 12, 2020 06:40PM
I guess it's a new thing. I live overseas, so sometimes miss out on the "latest and greatest". I'm over 60 and teeth are dull and yellow. I stumbled on some ads for LED tooth whitening devices and wonder if they are any good? Will be in the States soon, so am thinking about getting one. Anyone here have experience you're willing to share?

For example, here's a popular one on Amazon.
[www.amazon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tooth whitening with LED?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 12, 2020 08:02PM
I recommend sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads, myself.

The gel/LED method is used by dentists for in-office whitening sessions. What is unknown, however, is whether the at-home kit uses the same technology as the in-office method (i.e. gel formulation, light wavelength) and, if not, if will be as effective as the in-office method. Some research is required.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 12, 2020 08:06PM
Most home-whitening kits are very very temporary. Lasts a few hours. Just treats surface-stains that you could probably catch with a good whitening toothpaste.

The ones with the LEDs are trading on the reputation of a real in-office procedures that use lights or lasers to activate chemical reactions that release very high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide with great precision, but in the case of the kits they're marketing direct-to-consumers, the LEDs don't actually do anything.

...At worst, some of those kits will destroy your enamel and you will loose your teeth. The peroxide in them can burn your gums if it's not carefully applied the way that a dentist would do it.

Talk to your dentist. There are some in-the-chair prescription solutions or prescription kits that you can use at home that an actually strengthen enamel, or real laser-whitening may be do-able for you.

...Note that whitening only works on enamel. Some of the yellow isn't from staining, it's from the stuff under the enamel showing through. If your teeth are worn, there may not be enough to whiten.

Also, even professional whitening tends to fade within a few months and needs at-home care and follow-ups to maintain it.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 12, 2020 08:08PM
No.

I would only recommend having it done at a dentist, or buying a name brand over the counter product (I am not sure any come a light source). You need to be careful buying OTC products, there are lots of counterfeit/fake products slipping in to discounters stock.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 12, 2020 08:11PM
Thanks all. What about whitening strips (like Crest brand) that people use without the light?

Any experiences with those?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 12, 2020 08:26PM
Drew
Thanks all. What about whitening strips (like Crest brand) that people use without the light?

Any experiences with those?

Very temporary.

I used them to whiten my teeth before a date. Good for a few shades whiter for 2-4 hours if you don't drink coffee, cola or red wine.

Then I found that Crest whitening toothpaste is almost as good, and is much cheaper.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 12, 2020 08:44PM
.....were you misLED.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 12, 2020 08:47PM
Maybe I should give up coffee and red wine. Nah... yellow teeth it is.

Thanks all. I'm going to check with a dentist. Frankly, no sure how popular teeth whitening is in Japan.
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 13, 2020 06:35AM
My wife chipped a front tooth 40 years ago and had a bonded repair. Over the years her teeth yellowed but the repair did not. She got embarrassed and basically stopped smiling and showing her teeth. We talked to her dentist and he recommended that she use Zoom to whiten her teeth and then crown the repaired tooth to match. There was a discussion of veneers but he said they were way more expensive and some people don't have good outcomes.

So, she Zoomed and went many shades whiter. After the office procedure she had the custom tray and used the gel nightly until she was happy with the shade. That took some number of weeks. The dentist agreed with her shade determination and then crowned her tooth.

She has the tray and gel and uses it once in a while to maintain the shade. The dentist's office charges something like $75 for the gel. She gets it on Amazon for something like $30 for a couple of syringes of the stuff.

It's been 2 years and she drinks a glass of red wine and a cup of coffee daily. It's stayed exactly the same shade over these years. It's easy for her to know when she needs to touch it up because the crown doesn't change color with the wine/coffee. So, when the colors start to diverge she puts the tray and gel back in.

I have a vague memory that we spent something like $500 on the office treatment, the tray and some gel. It was absolutely worth it to see her smile again!
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 13, 2020 11:24AM
I started with the whitening strips. Now I use Crest 3D white toothpaste and PlusWhite 5 Minute gel once a week. I dab it on the teeth I'm whitening with a q-tip, wait the above mentioned time, then brush. If I want a boost, I'll use the gel a little more often.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018