advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
c(l)atch me if you can?!.....McClatchy (2nd largest newspaper chain) files for bankruptcy.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2020 11:43AM
......going down....

'Miami Herald,' 'Kansas City Star' Publisher McClatchy Files For Bankruptcy

....The long slide in the U.S. newspaper industry took another dramatic turn Thursday.

McClatchy Co., which operates the Miami Herald and The Kansas City Star among its 30 newsrooms in 14 states, announced it has filed for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring. Saddled with debt and pension obligations, McClatchy said it will continue to operate as normal during the process.

The company said it plans to emerge from bankruptcy in the next few months.

"McClatchy remains a strong operating company with an enduring commitment to independent journalism that spans five generations of my family,'' said Kevin McClatchy, the company's chairman great-great grandson of its founder, James McClatchy.

"This restructuring is a necessary and positive step forward for the business, and the entire Board of Directors has made great efforts to ensure the company is able to operate as usual throughout this process," Kevin McClatchy added in a statement.

The company said it's negotiating with the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., the federal insurer of private pension plans, and its largest creditor "to address the future of our pension obligations and capital structure." The company said it expects that the PBGC will take over McClatchy's qualified pension plan.

McClatchy bought the Knight Ridder newspaper chain — which included the Miami Herald, the San Jose Mercury News and The Philadelphia Inquirer, in 2006. It later sold off several of the Knight Ridder papers.

A big investor declared Wednesday that newspapers are "all dying," Bloomberg reported.

Charlie Munger, vice chairman of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, said "technological change is destroying the daily newspapers in America. The revenue goes away and the expenses remain and they're all dying." Munger did say that The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal are likely to keep going.

Munger was speaking in Los Angeles at the annual meeting of the Daily Journal Corp., where he is chairman.

much more...........to come.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: c(l)atch me if you can?!.....McClatchy (2nd largest newspaper chain) files for bankruptcy.....
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 13, 2020 12:03PM
In my estimation, one of the finest outfits in journalism.
Re: c(l)atch me if you can?!.....McClatchy (2nd largest newspaper chain) files for bankruptcy.....
Posted by: robfilms
Date: February 13, 2020 12:18PM
blaming pension responsibilities and not the debt used to put together this mega-publisher.

many of their newspapers do good work.

but corporate masters are not so thoughtful.

plenty of major money was rewarded during the shenanigans which took place to build this straw empire.

and though these mergers are all in recent memory, they are now blaming pensions and a downturn in print revenues.

not a word about the corporate debt which is at the core of the bankruptcy.

shameless.

rob
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 13, 2020 12:26PM
Why would they feel shame? A corporation isn't a person.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 13, 2020 12:46PM
Today: "We'll gladly pay your pension tomorrow for work done today"
Tomorrow: "sry, bankrupt lol!
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 13, 2020 01:18PM
McClatchy is one of the great journalism brands - still run by the family that founded it in the 1800's - and they'll be fine. They are talking about taking the company private again and those rumors are usually good for stock prices (as with Nordstrom.) The company has endured years of declining revenues, like nearly all newspapers. Not surprised that the debt would pile up, their largest creditor is the pension company.

Look forward to more excellent reporting from the folks at McClatchy papers.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 13, 2020 01:31PM
That was once my local newspaper publishing company before they decided to go on a buying binge. Buying Knight-Ridder was insane. As I recall, they continued to buy up more smaller operations too. All of them struggling. Why? It never made sense.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2020 01:32PM
......Warren Buffet just sold his newspaper holdings recently.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 13, 2020 01:40PM
I think that a lot of pension funds were pressured into being overly optimistic about how much their investments would return in the future. Contributing factors included pensioners demanding higher payouts, political expediency, poor/unprofessional management, and good old greed.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 13, 2020 01:51PM
A bird in the hand (higher current wages and compensation) is better than a pension plan. Union leaders made a deal with the devil with respect to promises of wonderful pension plans. Even if all concerned are honest and have the best interest of the workers in mind, things still happen that are out of your control, such as economic downturns, and competition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 01:52PM by freeradical.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 14, 2020 08:42PM
So it's the union's fault! Got it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 245
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018