advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
16 candles?!......Apple refurb store starts sell refurbished 'MacBook Pro 16"......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2020 01:08PM
.....hmm......already.....??

Apple Begins Selling Certified Refurbished 16-Inch MacBook Pro Models

.....Apple has begun selling certified refurbished 16-inch MacBook Pro models through its online store in the United States for the first time since the notebook was released in November 2019. All of the refurbished configurations are discounted by 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new models.

Apple says refurbished 16-inch MacBook Pro models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged with a 96W USB-C power adapter and USB-C cable in the box. In our view, a refurbished MacBook Pro is virtually indistinguishable from a brand new model, so this represents a good opportunity for savings.

Keep in mind that third-party resellers frequently offer better deals than Apple's refurbished prices, so be sure to monitor our deals roundup.

A refurbished MacBook Pro comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the notebook is delivered. The warranty can be extended to three years from the refurbished purchase date with AppleCare+ for Mac, which costs $379 for the 16-inch MacBook Pro in the United States.

it just came out late last year..............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 01:10PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 16 candles?!......Apple refurb store starts sell refurbished 'MacBook Pro 16"......
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: February 13, 2020 01:45PM
I am mixed on my decision to upgrade from my trusty Retina 15" to a new 16". At first it was great.. .but then the bugs came crawling out. I have already forgotten what 10.15.3 fixed - but since 10.15.3, now it doesn't sleep right. Even after PRAM/SMC resets - this and other assorted multi-display headaches, etc - that NEVER had with the Retina.

Not surprised there are a bunch on the refurb store.

I do like the keyboard though. smiling smiley

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Re: 16 candles?!......Apple refurb store starts sell refurbished 'MacBook Pro 16"......
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 13, 2020 02:56PM
I'm holding on for the 2nd year or maybe 3rd year units to hit the refurb store. Maybe they'll have the early bugs worked out.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 13, 2020 03:15PM
If they had come out with Mojave, I'd be tempted, but I'm not ready for the 64-bit plunge, so I'll be waiting for a long time.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 13, 2020 04:23PM
OWC Larry
I am mixed on my decision to upgrade from my trusty Retina 15" to a new 16". At first it was great.. .but then the bugs came crawling out. I have already forgotten what 10.15.3 fixed - but since 10.15.3, now it doesn't sleep right. Even after PRAM/SMC resets - this and other assorted multi-display headaches, etc - that NEVER had with the Retina.

Which 15" retina model, Larry? It's definitely true that these TB3 models are far flakier on multiple external displays than I had with my 15" TB2 model.
Posted by: p8712
Date: February 13, 2020 07:01PM
My 2015 Retina 15" is still crazy fast and under two more years of applecare. I also replace the SSD. Think I'll pass for awhile.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 14, 2020 08:09AM
Refurbished 16-inch MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8-core Intel Core i9 with Retina display- Space Gray
$5,179.00

Someone buy me one!

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: February 14, 2020 05:50PM
My never failed 15" Late 2013 i7 2.6GHz with OWC Aura ProX2 2TB. smiling smiley

Also agree... 10.14.x likely would have been fine/better. Hearing folks with similar sleep issues on the new Mac Pro 2019 which only runs 10.15... could be something else, not sure if all the Macs like this on 10.15.x.

Sleep issues, display issues... and the worst is how hot it runs. I got on with Apple and we did some stuff and has been better since... but the first week I had it, one morning came in and it wanted me to type password instead of touch for login.. (I do really like that feature. smiling smiley - thought huh... that's odd since was just sleeping. Logged in, checked something real quick, went to do some stuff with the kids... came back 10 minutes later and it wanted me to type in password again. And... after about 3 minutes of using it, it crapped out and rebooted and I think noticed the top past the Touch Bar was too hot to touch. It had been overheating/rebooting like that all night when I was sleeping and it should have been.

Really thought was okay to buy this - 15" with a bigger screen and the keyboard that they should have had from the get go..... but the don't buy 'version 1' rule clearly applies here.

It's fine for travel... but overkill. I'm likely going back to three systems again. My original enthusiasm for how this one laptop replaced two iMacs and my Retina... that has substantially dampened as the issues have undone the benefits.

Still a nice machine... but even if when you ignore the lack of built in ports, well, these still aren't up to the overall reliability as the L2013-2015 Retina models.

sekker
OWC Larry

Which 15" retina model, Larry? It's definitely true that these TB3 models are far flakier on multiple external displays than I had with my 15" TB2 model.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: August West
Date: February 14, 2020 06:51PM
Larry,

Thank you very much for this input.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: sekker
Date: February 14, 2020 10:39PM
Thanks for taking one for the team, Larry.

I still have a mid-2012 first gen 15" MBPR (Also with an OWC upgraded SSD...). THAT 1st gen Mac was in and out of the shop countless times... Recalled twice alone...
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 15, 2020 08:30AM
PSA for those who haven’t been following along-both the RAM and the SSD are soldered in on these.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 15, 2020 08:53AM
.....but...but.....16"........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020