advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Today's Peave: Crowd-generated website content purchased then paywalled, registration-walled, or worse
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 13, 2020 01:22PM
Looking at you, Qu*ra. And you, Anc*stry.com. And RIP jumpedtheshark.

Edit: Something triggered the banned word firewall. Asterices engaged.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today's Peave: Crowd-generated website content purchased then paywalled, registration-walled, or worse
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 13, 2020 01:34PM
Boogers to them. Besides most of that 'information' is useless and/or lies. I ask here at the phorum...
Re: Today's Peave: Crowd-generated website content purchased then paywalled, registration-walled, or worse
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2020 02:25PM
....Wall-e......'d.......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 13, 2020 02:54PM
Angie's list used to bug me that way. You used to have to pay to join to read user-provided content.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 02:55PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2020 05:33PM
If you buy up all the competitors in a certain market, you can then sell their content (if you have a really compelling product).

Angie's List had several free websites target their style of content, so they had to change to free (and work harder at selling ads) to stay in the market.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 13, 2020 11:18PM
CDDB was user generated content. They went public and changed formats and started charging. I remember some users were able to grab the user generated content and posted it as freedb.org.

Just checked freedb.org and saw this:

Urgent notice

freedb.org and its services will be shut down on March 31st of 2020.

So there's that...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 14, 2020 05:48AM
Hard to keep things going when no one pays...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 283
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018