advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA - Found my data leak with Facebook: Off-Facebook tracking shared with iOS apps and stores I shop at, look at yours
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 13, 2020 07:35PM
A friend suggested I look up my "Off-Facebook activity" after reading an article similar to this [gbhackers.com] . I had no idea this was going on. This is a follow up to this thread [forums.macresource.com]

“This is a summary of the 15 apps and websites that have shared your activity.”

This link will take you to the page [www.facebook.com]
I can see what retailers, online and BM have given FB information about my shopping at their establishments. This is not some kind of internet rumor. I am staring at an icon for apps I have purchased through Apple for iOS, a grocery store, Mercury Browser, etc. Take a look at yours and tell me if you find the same thing. Let your friends and family know this is going on.

From Facebook:
What is off-Facebook activity?
Off-Facebook activity includes information that businesses and organizations share with us about your interactions with them. Interactions are things like visiting their website or logging into their app with Facebook. Off-Facebook activity does not include customer lists that businesses use to show a unique group of customers relevant ads.
How did Facebook receive your activity?
When you visit a website or use an app, these businesses or organizations can share information about your activity with us by using our business tools. We use this activity to personalize your experience, such as showing you relevant ads. We also require that businesses and organizations provide notice to people before using our business tools.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 09:48PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA - Found my data leak with Facebook: Off-Facebook tracking shared with iOS apps and stores I shop at, look at yours
Date: February 13, 2020 07:54PM
I just discovered there is an alleged off switch [www.facebook.com]

Re: PSA - Found my data leak with Facebook: Off-Facebook tracking shared with iOS apps and stores I shop at, look at yours
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 13, 2020 07:59PM
"includes information that businesses and organizations share with us"

Was this really sharing, or was there some buying or selling of information going on.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 13, 2020 08:15PM
[www.eff.org]
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 13, 2020 08:29PM
230 for me. All legitimate companies.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: February 13, 2020 08:42PM
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2020 08:46PM
CNET story about what apps listen in on your location and other habits on your phone...

Your phone talks about you behind your back. These researchers are listening in February 13, 2020 5:00 AM PST

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 13, 2020 08:46PM
I do not have facebook account, no facebook on my iPhone.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2020 08:49PM
Skynet Faecesbook begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: February 13, 2020 09:33PM
space-time

That may be true but... it doesn't stop other companies from sharing data about you and your travels with The Evil Empire!! smiley-sw018

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 13, 2020 09:35PM
thanks for this

Posted by: August West
Date: February 13, 2020 09:53PM
Harbourmaster
space-time

That may be true but... it doesn't stop other companies from sharing data about you and your travels with The Evil Empire!! smiley-sw018

Bingo!

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: GGD
Date: February 13, 2020 11:09PM
August West
Harbourmaster
space-time

Bingo!

I don't have a LinkedIn account but they know who I am, from "friends" that have uploaded their entire address book and "invited" me to join. They know that I'm friends with several people even though I've never given them any of my personal information.
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 14, 2020 07:41AM
Thanks. Deleted history and turned off future activity connected to my account.
Date: February 14, 2020 07:48AM
I still use a separate browser for FB when I am on a computer and a specific browser for email. Then I have a browser for other web pages. I knew something was going on when the ads they were pitching got so eerily locked into my buying habits. FB is still a good way to stay in touch with people I know. I have always been wary of Fb and am pondering the pros and cons of continued use.

Posted by: sekker
Date: February 14, 2020 03:24PM
pRICE cUBE
I still use a separate browser for FB when I am on a computer and a specific browser for email. Then I have a browser for other web pages. I knew something was going on when the ads they were pitching got so eerily locked into my buying habits. FB is still a good way to stay in touch with people I know. I have always been wary of Fb and am pondering the pros and cons of continued use.

I’ve given up on FB as being useful to stay in touch. Too much work dealing with trolls and others.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 14, 2020 04:15PM
yeah, i learned about Off Facebook Activity a few weeks ago. shut that down crap immediately.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 14, 2020 07:06PM
Ugh. I thought they were getting better at this. Their recruiters keep calling and it's a great place to work.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 14, 2020 10:22PM
Google does all this and more. Just sayin'.

Date: February 15, 2020 02:16PM
davemchine

Wow! I only had 7 - all but one was legitimate/made sense.

Turned off, still on my way to deleting facebook. Sometimes need it for work, so maybe it's just time to make a work-only version.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 15, 2020 08:12PM
sekker
davemchine

Turned off, still on my way to deleting facebook. Sometimes need it for work, so maybe it's just time to make a work-only version.

704 here...

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: February 15, 2020 11:24PM
M A V I C
sekker
davemchine

704 here...

Of course, because you are M A V I C !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Z
Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018