advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Phone spam fail
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 13, 2020 09:22PM
NoMoRobo is failing doing their job. I guess you get what you pay for. Any more, telemarketers use a new number each time (so there's no history to block it; at least to our number) and even though it's supposed to be blocked by NoMoRobo, it isn't. Don't know if that's because they go through the hoops to ring through (NoMoRobo gives that option) or if NoMoRobo can no longer block it before it rings through. Roughly 70% of the calls in the last week should have been blocked (already in NoMoRobo's list) but weren't. Sure would be nice if those clowns in Washington could actually do something. 26 spam calls since Monday.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Phone spam fail
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 14, 2020 10:06AM
With iOS 13, you can "silence unknown callers". It sends all callers NOT in your Contacts directly to Voice Mail, but still shows the number in Recents as a Missed call. Your phone does not ring or vibrate.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 14, 2020 10:09AM
Got an interesting call the other day, which the caller ID identified as my neighbor. I didn’t get to the phone in time, and so I called her right back, concerned that something might be wrong (she’s not a chatty person).

She didn’t call. It was her home phone number on the caller ID, but it wasn’t her.

If you can spoof a caller ID/phone number, it’s probably within the range of possibility for these people to look up the phone number of the next address over.
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 14, 2020 10:47AM
The autodialers just dial your area code and exchange and all combinations of the next four digits. Eventually, they'll get to your neighbor's number...and your own. It's futile.
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 14, 2020 11:27AM
I get more spam calls on my mobile phone that I do real calls. It seems to be futile.

JPK
Posted by: rz
Date: February 14, 2020 12:05PM
And yet, as I've stated before, I rarely get spam calls on my cell. If spammers were truly dialing every combination, I'd be getting a bunch. But I don't. Why? Because I don't give out my cell number to everyone who asks for it. My bank, PayPal, Amazon, etc. Every one of them keep asking for it but I never give it to them. That's where all the spam calls are coming from. They sell your number.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: February 14, 2020 04:49PM
How about if every time one of these creeps calls, we play along with the live person (who eventually comes on) for a minute or so. That would cut their profit margin down quite a bit. Essentially using social tools to provide a negative incentive. It wouldn't always work (they are pretty good at hanging up quickly) but it would discourage them from believing that they had any chance to make a sale. Try to waste 5 minutes of their time.

One of those clowns actually asked me to validate my credit card number for him the other day. Sure.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 14, 2020 09:57PM
Got two calls with messages left this past week from claiming to be from Social Security and followed by vague reference to a legal problem.

Yeah, sure.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 15, 2020 01:49AM
i called myself today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018