advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If you have the exact correct phrase for something...
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 14, 2020 12:01PM
...then these days you should find some reference to it via Google. Yesterday I failed with an item which surprised me. Thought I would do some research into a box of matches we have. A box of matches doesn't sound interesting but this measures 12" x 8.5" x 2" and is styled like an antique book with tooled spine. The only wording on it is the 'book' title and author which is "Matchless Waters by Schweppes". That exact phrase comes up with no hits at all which in itself is interesting but not exactly useful to me. It's obviously an old advertising piece and we won't be getting rid of it but I feel there must have been more than one produced.

Paul

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you have the exact correct phrase for something...
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 14, 2020 12:05PM
[www.lot-art.com]

Posted by: GGD
Date: February 14, 2020 12:08PM
Guess you won't be finding the copyright page and print runs to help guess it's age. I like the striker on the inside cover, very nicely designed.
Date: February 14, 2020 12:13PM
bazookaman
[www.lot-art.com]

OK, so where did I go wrong with my searching as the exact phrase is on that page. I had also tried part of the phrase with the other words and all sorts of combinations with no success.

Paul

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 14, 2020 12:17PM
voodoopenguin
bazookaman
[www.lot-art.com]

OK, so where did I go wrong with my searching as the exact phrase is on that page. I had also tried part of the phrase with the other words and all sorts of combinations with no success.

Paul

Well. That's ALL I found. And I had to jump back here to make sure it wasn't the same pic you posted. But I copied and pasted your title and hit search, then switched to images, so I could scan through them faster.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 14, 2020 12:31PM
"Matchless Waters" vs. "Matchless Water"
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 14, 2020 12:31PM
Sometimes historical minutiae fails to translate to the digital age.

Often in researching memories of my youth, I find extremely little, if anything at all.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 14, 2020 12:32PM
bazookaman
Well. That's ALL I found. And I had to jump back here to make sure it wasn't the same pic you posted. But I copied and pasted your title and hit search, then switched to images, so I could scan through them faster.

I had tried Images as well and scrolled through vast amounts to no avail. Just did it again and bingo, there it was.

Thank you

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 12:32PM by voodoopenguin.
Date: February 14, 2020 12:35PM
mikebw
"Matchless Waters" vs. "Matchless Water"

Ha, I should have tried more misspelled phrases.

Paul

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 14, 2020 12:44PM
It is odd that the title is obviously "MATCHLESS WATERS" but every other online listing has it as "MATCHLESS WATER" but without a photo of the spine. Did all the other listings do it because of a mistaken typo, or was it done to on purpose so that they know anybody posting a photo of "WATERS" has the true object?

Have you ever used the matches?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 14, 2020 12:54PM
Filliam H. Muffman

No, never tried them as at a foot long it seemed a waste of wood!

Once I've built the new floor to ceiling wall unit along one end of the living room they will go back with the other large old books to be brought out occasionally to show guests.

Paul

Posted by: neophyte
Date: February 14, 2020 12:58PM
voodoopenguin
Filliam H. Muffman

No, never tried them as at a foot long it seemed a waste of wood!

Once I've built the new floor to ceiling wall unit along one end of the living room they will go back with the other large old books to be brought out occasionally to show guests.

Paul

You should build a fireplace into that wall so you have an excuse to try out one of those matches. They are fireplace matches, after all.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: February 14, 2020 01:53PM
RAMd®d
Sometimes historical minutiae fails to translate to the digital age.

Often in researching memories of my youth, I find extremely little, if anything at all.

Same here, with the "Learning Chess Set" (a chess set with the moves each piece can make printed on it's individual plinth for beginners)

and the "Big Mouth Singers" keyboard (a toy piano with Muppet-like heads on top that opened their mouths with each note played) being the most notable examples.

I Googled both items off and on for years and came up with bupkis, then recently each came up on the first try. Even more frustrating is when you Google something you know exists with no misspelled words and find nothing, then enter the EXACT SAME SEARCH TERMS in the same order later and the thing you were looking for is the very first result.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 14, 2020 02:17PM
I have come across books and other ephemera that are not "on" Google. Then, of course, the realization that some person first had to enter information for it at some point, and that first person could be me.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 14, 2020 03:46PM
To your point, I have searched for a phrase used in an old game "Don't say fluffy puffer!", but until just this very hour have not found anything! I must have been doing it wrong the whole time since there are several posts about it-
[www.google.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 14, 2020 05:02PM
Even more frustrating is when you Google something you know exists with no misspelled words and find nothing, then enter the EXACT SAME SEARCH TERMS in the same order later and the thing you were looking for is the very first result.

Ok, that's happened a number of times to me.

But even more frustrating is just the opposite scenario.

Whether on the first search or after discovering the secret combination of key words to success, a later subsequent search fails to turn up the specific, desired link. WTFO?!

More than once a keyboard and display incurred near death experiences. Not that they were injured and didn't die, but that it was considered.

Another pain is AMZ. More than once I've copied an item's name from an AMZ page and pasted it only to have something else come up and being unable to find it without multiple hoops jumped through.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: August West
Date: February 14, 2020 06:42PM
I suspect an errant dose is to blame, voodoo chile.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018