advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
alternative to Apple's Music app?
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 15, 2020 02:01PM
I rarely listen to music on my iPhone when I'm commuting. I use the phone as a phone and listen to audiobooks on CD. But occasionally I will use the phone for music. The problem is that whenever I get into the car, the Music app starts playing whatever music is on my iPhone. It's simple enough to disable Bluetooth for music on my car and keep it connected for phone calls, but what I find most annoting is that whenever I pull out my phone to check the time or whatever, there's the damn Music app interface splashed all over the phone's screen, showing me what song is playing and offering me all the options to skip, rewind, choose random, etc. I don't want to seven see that on the screen since I have no intention of using it.

So as a way to get rid of that, I'm thinking of just deleting Apple's Music app from the phone altogether. But because I may want to listen to music once in a while, I'll need an alternative (ideally free), simple, basic app to use to play music.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: alternative to Apple's Music app?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 15, 2020 02:04PM
I didn't realize you could delete the Music app from an iPhone!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 15, 2020 02:10PM
Not quite sure all of the issues you have, but I've turned to Cesium as my music app alternative. Doesn't FORCE me to regularly opt-out of Apple Music streaming service just to use it.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 15, 2020 02:10PM
There's a setting to disable Apple Music from starting up. You can turn off Apple Music in Settings-Music- Show Apple Music- toggle off.

That may help a bit, not sure if it'll start it from randomly starting up when you get into car. Maybe worth a shot...
Date: February 15, 2020 02:21PM
rjmacs
I didn't realize you could delete the Music app from an iPhone!

Well, I haven't tried yet, but I did find this in my searching:

Option 5: Delete the Music App from the iPhone
If you don’t use the music app anyway, you can just delete it and uninstall the app from your iPhone in a few seconds. Yes, you can even delete the stock default apps like “Music”.

To remove the default Music app, just tap and hold on the Music icon, then tap the (X) button and confirm you want to delete the app from the device.
Date: February 15, 2020 02:24PM
SteveO
There's a setting to disable Apple Music from starting up. You can turn off Apple Music in Settings-Music- Show Apple Music- toggle off.

That may help a bit, not sure if it'll start it from randomly starting up when you get into car. Maybe worth a shot...

Yeah, I tried that a while ago. Doesn't help. I think the car itself must somehow open it unless I go into the car radio's settings and tell it to Disconnect for Music.

sekker, I've seen Cesium mentioned, along with a couple of others.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 15, 2020 03:42PM
@wurm, just posted a thread about this and then saw yours

Anyway, check this out:

[barrowclift.me]

Not sure any of these will solve the problem you're having, but worth checking out

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 15, 2020 04:04PM
Cesium is my music player of choice.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: February 15, 2020 04:07PM
ka jowct

Songowl is a new music player app from the Cesium guy

[apps.apple.com]
Date: February 15, 2020 04:32PM
Okay, I just thought of something else. If I can and do delete the Music app from the iPhone, where can i store music on the phone? In other words, any new player I install will have to access the music from somewhere. But where? iTunes itself doesn't exist any more on the phone, does it?
Date: February 16, 2020 08:19AM
pinkoos
ka jowct

[apps.apple.com]

I was all set to download it when I noticed this: SongOwl requires Music.app be installed.
That seems to be the basis for my problem.
Date: February 16, 2020 10:17AM
How about giving Prism a shot? Free to download and try; in app purchase to unlock additional features, the main one being access to a Plex library if you have one; there's also a free trial for the in app purchase

[prism-music.app]
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 16, 2020 10:41AM
I'm not the OP, but I got all excited when I saw you could toggle off "Show Apple Music." At least until I went to the setting and realized it was already toggled off. Like wurm, I think it's my car that initiates playing Apple music tracks.

But maybe toggling off Show All Purchases will solve my problem. Since I don't store music on my phone, the Music app's memory is anything I've ever purchased in iTunes. This is a very random collection of songs mostly purchased 5-10+ years ago. It includes things purchased for the kids or the freebies they used to offer with a redemption code, etc. So not only does it often play on it's own, it's usually something I don't want to hear.

Hopefully, this at least keeps those purchased tracks from playing. Next step is to delete the app entirely. Didn't know this was possible.
Date: February 16, 2020 10:43AM
Thanks, pinkoos. That looked like a possibility too, until I saw: * The built-in iOS music app must be installed for local or iCloud Music Library support

I might as well just deal with Apple's Music app. Although now that I've deleted it, I don't know how to get it back.
Date: February 16, 2020 10:49AM
[apps.apple.com]
Date: February 16, 2020 12:10PM
Well, believe it or not I think I found my solution. Google Play. I let it upload all the music on my computer and I it has a pretty decent interface. Granted, it doesn't solve the issue of storing the music on my phone, but the only reason I wanted to do that is because I have a cell phone plan with limited data. For as often as I'll want to listen to music, I might be okay. I just experimented in the car and it works as I hoped Apple Music would. The car doesn't start playing the music until I tell it to.

Another (probably even better) solution is to put an old iPod Nano to use by storing my music and/or select audiobooks on it, and then hooking it up to the usb port in the car when I want to listen.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 16, 2020 05:27PM
“ where can i store music on the phone?”

You can use the new “Files” app. Dropbox can be used to transfer.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 17, 2020 02:40AM
You could also try:

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps > CarPlay > Off

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 17, 2020 06:50AM
Thanks, RAMd®d. I just checked that. I don't even have Screen Time turned on.

And btfc, I hadn't thought about the Files app. because I never noticed it until I deleted it. Might be worth reinstalling and using it if Google Play proves to be a bust. Thanks.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 17, 2020 06:52PM
wurm
Well, believe it or not I think I found my solution. Google Play. I let it upload all the music on my computer and I it has a pretty decent interface. Granted, it doesn't solve the issue of storing the music on my phone, but the only reason I wanted to do that is because I have a cell phone plan with limited data. For as often as I'll want to listen to music, I might be okay. I just experimented in the car and it works as I hoped Apple Music would. The car doesn't start playing the music until I tell it to.

Another (probably even better) solution is to put an old iPod Nano to use by storing my music and/or select audiobooks on it, and then hooking it up to the usb port in the car when I want to listen.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

WHAT?! Using a dedicated music player for music?! Who thought of THAT idea is a genius!

smiling smiley
Date: March 08, 2020 12:17PM
pinkoos
ka jowct

[apps.apple.com]

Free for a limited time - [apps.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 283
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018