advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Opinions on hardwood flooring?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 15, 2020 09:43PM
Our upstairs is coated in gray carpet thats been in place who knows how long. (ew!) It needs to be torn out and replaced. We prefer hardwood floors. I don't think I'm interested in an engineered / fake wood solution although I understand they have their advantages. I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I know we have choices in hardness, color, texture, and board dimensions. We're looking to go lighter with a medium or light texture and smaller boards. Past that, I have no idea. I've read up on the topic a bit and most of it reads 'you have a million options, your choice!'

The stairway also has gray carpet. I'm not sure what complexities that might introduce.

I'm curious if anyone has advice on how to approach this.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Opinions on hardwood flooring?
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 15, 2020 10:08PM
Go with real hardwood. It can be refinished more than once. Higher up front cost, longevity though.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 15, 2020 10:36PM
You don't happen to have hardwood already under the carpet? Common in houses of a certain vintage.
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 15, 2020 10:47PM
The question is: "What's under the carpet?"

i would peel up the carpet in a corner - you may have hardwood floors underneath already. If not, what is the subfloor? Installing hardwood floors can entail a whole lot of work - replacing baseboard moldings, cutting doors, dealing with floor elevation transitions. Transitions at stairs (nosing) are especially challenging.

Pulling up the carpeting is the first step to understanding your options.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 15, 2020 10:53PM
See f there are sawmills close by. Here pine is about $1 square foot and oak is around $2.
Date: February 15, 2020 10:58PM
Acer
You don't happen to have hardwood already under the carpet? Common in houses of a certain vintage.

The upstairs was built out about 30 years ago, prior to that the upstairs was a cavernous attic.

Pulling up the carpet in a corner is an excellent idea.

Posted by: sekker
Date: February 15, 2020 11:56PM
If you need to install, we really like our bamboo flooring in the upstairs bedrooms and hallway.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 16, 2020 12:52AM
Depending on the quality, bamboo can be nice but I think it is usually suggested for high traffic. There are also ceramic tiles that look like wood at first glance, they can be a little cold on bare feet compared to wood.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 16, 2020 01:04AM
I've been wanting to install a cork floor for a long while. I may still do it.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 16, 2020 07:31AM
We took up about 1k square feet of 20-year-old carpet in upstairs bedrooms a few years ago in favor hardwood, which was already in the hallway. It was expensive to have a professional install it, but the guy gave us a break on leftover wood from other jobs if we were OK with each room being different. We were. Very happy we did it, as the wood is much nicer-looking and easier to clean.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: February 16, 2020 08:43AM
Looks like plywood beneath the carpet.

Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 16, 2020 09:16AM
mattkime
Looks like plywood beneath the carpet.

If you use a hardwood floor with 3/4 in thickness, You'll have an issue with the top stair height being different /higher than the rest of the stairs..this can be very disconcerting for some folks..other's adjust..there is an 'expectation' with stair riser consistency and some folks, particularly as they age, have issues with this stuff..

some of the modern engineered wood floorings are pretty nice and will minimize this with the cheaper stuff...but, some of the thinner good stuff is close to 3/4"..5/8", i think..

that 3/4" difference in full on hardwood floor may not be an issue for you, in that case, I'd go for old school hardwood..traditional maintenance puts you in an easy slot and it's 'nice'.
Date: February 16, 2020 10:37AM
Btw, Mattkime..

How thick is your carpet and pad? forgot about this important aspect..

you may not have any issues at all
Date: February 16, 2020 10:39AM
any opinions on lumber liquidators? I'm assuming there's some reason to go elsewhere but they're advertising a 24 months no interest deal. Obviously I'm not ready to buy now but might time my purchase in the future.

Posted by: sekker
Date: February 16, 2020 11:01AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Depending on the quality, bamboo can be nice but I think it is usually suggested for high traffic. There are also ceramic tiles that look like wood at first glance, they can be a little cold on bare feet compared to wood.

Was not more expensive to put in bamboo over oak or other hard wood, and it's definitely stood the test of time (over the last decade).

I think it looks nice, too.

We purchased it because bamboo grows so much faster than oak etc.

Here's a recent discussion on plusses and minuses.

[www.thespruce.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 16, 2020 11:47AM
Acer

The first house I bought in Atlanta back in 2001 (1968 construction) had hardwoods under carpet. When I looked at the house, there was one corner pulled up from new carpet that was being installed, and the hardwoods under it were a mess. Stains, old glue, etc. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to get the whole house refinished and when I made an offer I just asked them to finish putting in the carpets that were already being installed. I thought about trying the hardwoods again over the years, but as that would essentially entail moving all my stuff out first and then moving it back in, I never bothered.

Flash forward twelve years, along the way adding one wife and two dogs. As we're getting ready to sell the house, the carpet was now worn out and needed to be replaced. So after we moved out, I pulled up the carpet in that same room...

... and the hardwoods were absolutely beautiful outside of THAT ONE CORNER. Had the whole house refinished before putting it on the market, thanks to the condition of the floors that was not expensive, and it looked magnificent. Every time I saw it I wanted to smack myself for not pulling up the carpet before I moved in the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 11:47AM by Will Collier.
Date: February 16, 2020 11:56AM
Kraniac
Btw, Mattkime..

How thick is your carpet and pad? forgot about this important aspect..

you may not have any issues at all

About half an inch? But the stairs have the same pad and carpet so its a question of how the stairs would be treated. Would they need to be redone, etc?

Date: February 16, 2020 12:25PM
nope, you'll be close enough in height..no biggy..you just need to work a transition from carpet to wood above..are the risers carpeted?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 16, 2020 01:51PM
mattkime
any opinions on lumber liquidators?

“On October 22, 2015, Lumber Liquidators pleaded guilty in federal court to the illegal importation of hardwood flooring. In February 2016, a federal judge sentenced the company to $13.15 million in penalties, consisting of $7.8 million in criminal fines, $3.15 million in civil forfeiture, $1 million in criminal forfeiture, and $1.2 million to conservation organizations. It was the largest financial penalty ever issued for violating the Lacey Act of 1900.”
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 16, 2020 02:02PM
Whatever the cost of material — add at least $3.50 sf for intstallation.

Wife and I have spent the last 2 months doing the research.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 16, 2020 02:54PM
Putting in oak flooring on our first level was one of the best things we ever did. We are not fastidious people, so when we had carpet, we often “forgot” to vacuum because we couldn’t see the dirt, dust and debris that was always building up (we also had a cat which compounded the problem). It was an unhealthy environment and both of our kids developed asthma. With hardwood flooring, dust, etc. can’t hide, so you just sweep it up as it accumulates. The flooring is not only healthier, it’s also very attractive.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 17, 2020 12:55AM
Our current house has engineered hardwood floors which were new when we moved in 16 years ago. Since that time, it's been through 5 dogs, a lot of furniture moving, teens, and winter boots. The cost to refinish is pretty high, and because it can really only be done once, we find ourselves wondering if we should do it now and enjoy it or wait until just before we decide to sell.

In contrast, we put a Southern Yellow Pine softwood floor with a water soluble polyurethane finish in our old house and choose to let it get distressed. Refinishing it ourselves was not the big of a deal between a light sanding with pole sanders, quick vacuum and mop, then reapply new poly.

I wish we had that same floor in this house.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 17, 2020 10:56AM
Will Collier
Acer

The first house I bought in Atlanta back in 2001 (1968 construction) had hardwoods under carpet. When I looked at the house, there was one corner pulled up from new carpet that was being installed, and the hardwoods under it were a mess. Stains, old glue, etc. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to get the whole house refinished and when I made an offer I just asked them to finish putting in the carpets that were already being installed. I thought about trying the hardwoods again over the years, but as that would essentially entail moving all my stuff out first and then moving it back in, I never bothered.

Flash forward twelve years, along the way adding one wife and two dogs. As we're getting ready to sell the house, the carpet was now worn out and needed to be replaced. So after we moved out, I pulled up the carpet in that same room...

... and the hardwoods were absolutely beautiful outside of THAT ONE CORNER. Had the whole house refinished before putting it on the market, thanks to the condition of the floors that was not expensive, and it looked magnificent. Every time I saw it I wanted to smack myself for not pulling up the carpet before I moved in the first time.

OTOH, I got a nasty surprise when I had the carpet removed at my late aunt's house...someone had repainted without putting down drop cloths, then used the carpet to hide that fact.

So I didn't discover until I was ready to put it on the market that half of the hardwood floors need to be refinished...I went ahead and put it on the market like that (Realtor's advice) but I think it's hurt showings...only getting low-ball offers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 10:58AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 17, 2020 06:00PM
no jokes at all?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 18, 2020 10:13AM
Racer X
no jokes at all?

Wood you like to go first?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 18, 2020 10:45AM
This fruit is hanging so low, it's on the ground. I won't stoop that far, hurts my back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 303
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018