advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dell Support Warranty for their laptops - Is it worth it?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 17, 2020 11:16AM
I always believed in having AppleCare for Mac laptops years ago when we had them on my job. My wife has a Dell INSPIRON 5570 that came with a year of their Premium Support Plus for free when I got it for her. The warranty is about to end and I’m wondering if I should continue it. Does anybody have experience with Dells extended warranty support or opinions regarding it. My wife recently dropped her old laptop, which subsequently went to the recycling heap so I’m kind of leaning towards having some kind of coverage for Ms. Klutz.

TIA

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dell Support Warranty for their laptops - Is it worth it?
Posted by: clay
Date: February 17, 2020 12:09PM
what's the cost? usually not as high as AppleCare... In some cases, it is worth it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 17, 2020 12:34PM
Would a drop qualify for the extended warranty?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: February 17, 2020 01:16PM
It looks to be $144. a year and covers accidental damage like drops, spills and electrical surges:
[www.dell.com]

JoeM
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 17, 2020 01:24PM
Woot sells a 5570 for $350. Hard to justify $144/yr at that price.
Date: February 17, 2020 01:36PM
PeterW
Woot sells a 5570 for $350. Hard to justify $144/yr at that price.

There's a lot of different configurations of the 5570. My wife's is the 15 inch 5000 with an i7. I got it for $768.99.

JoeM
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 17, 2020 01:42PM
I have a 5570, as well. I had to run SupportAssist to figure that out. My warranty expired in Oct. I just looked at extending it. The cheap way to do it is the mail-in option. The longest they'll warranty it for is to July 10, 2022. That's $120. If I wanted to add the accidental damage option, it's another $120. They also would charge me an extra $45 for "reinstatement." So, there total possible warranty is from my purchase in Oct, 2018 through July 2022, so about 3.5 years. And if I hadn't let the warranty lapse, it would be $240 for the coverage plus accidental damage. If I want to have onsite repairs, it would be an extra $40 for the extra years. If I wanted the super-duper, you-gotta-be-kidding-me support it would be an extra $104 (that one includes the accidental coverage).

But, I paid somewhere in the $400 range for the 5570. I used a credit card that doubled the warranty to 2 years. Costco didn't happen to have a Dell I wanted at the time or I would have bought it there with their credit card and gotten a 4 year warranty.

I don't buy extended warranties for my Dells because I end up replacing them every 3-4 years when they get creaky and irritating. I've kept one or 2 longer than that, but not usually. So, I treat them as disposable after the warranty ends.

My wife's MacBook cost the same as 3 Dells, so we treated that very differently! If Costco is selling them when it's time to replace hers we'll get it there and get a 4 year warranty just by using their credit card. Happily enough, her MacBook Pro is somewhere around 7 years old and is just fine-we got it the year after they brought out the retina display. I won't replace it until she starts to complain and that just hasn't happened yet.

Edit: after I posted this I saw what you paid for your wife's 5570. At that cost, I'd first check and see if you used a credit card that doubles the warranty. If not, I just might buy it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 01:45PM by Michael.
Date: February 17, 2020 01:47PM
Michael
I have a 5570, as well. I had to run SupportAssist to figure that out. My warranty expired in Oct. I just looked at extending it. The cheap way to do it is the mail-in option. The longest they'll warranty it for is to July 10, 2022. That's $120. If I wanted to add the accidental damage option, it's another $120. They also would charge me an extra $45 for "reinstatement." So, there total possible warranty is from my purchase in Oct, 2018 through July 2022, so about 3.5 years. And if I hadn't let the warranty lapse, it would be $240 for the coverage plus accidental damage. If I want to have onsite repairs, it would be an extra $40 for the extra years. If I wanted the super-duper, you-gotta-be-kidding-me support it would be an extra $104 (that one includes the accidental coverage).

But, I paid somewhere in the $400 range for the 5570. I used a credit card that doubled the warranty to 2 years. Costco didn't happen to have a Dell I wanted at the time or I would have bought it there with their credit card and gotten a 4 year warranty.

I don't buy extended warranties for my Dells because I end up replacing them every 3-4 years when they get creaky and irritating. I've kept one or 2 longer than that, but not usually. So, I treat them as disposable after the warranty ends.

My wife's MacBook cost the same as 3 Dells, so we treated that very differently! If Costco is selling them when it's time to replace hers we'll get it there and get a 4 year warranty just by using their credit card. Happily enough, her MacBook Pro is somewhere around 7 years old and is just fine-we got it the year after they brought out the retina display. I won't replace it until she starts to complain and that just hasn't happened yet.

Thanks Michael, I haven’t contacted them yet but if my cost is similar then Im in agreement with you. I need to check the card I used to see if they might have doubled the warranty too.

JoeM
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 17, 2020 01:54PM
JoeM
Michael

Thanks Michael, I haven’t contacted them yet but if my cost is similar then Im in agreement with you. I need to check the card I used to see if they might have doubled the warranty too.

You might be able to see the cost without directly contacting them. When I ran the SupportAssist app it showed that my coverage had expired and had a button that got me to the renewal site that showed the prices.
Date: February 17, 2020 01:57PM
Michael
JoeM
Michael

You might be able to see the cost without directly contacting them. When I ran the SupportAssist app it showed that my coverage had expired and had a button that got me to the renewal site that showed the prices.

Great, I'm going to give that a shot right now. Thanks again!

JoeM
Date: February 17, 2020 02:20PM
They are offering 1 year of mail in service after remote diagnosis for $50.29 or Premium Support Plus for $144.04 but Accidental Damage is now $50.29 added to either. Looks like they want to suggest Accidental Damage and Mail In for $100.57.

JoeM
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 17, 2020 04:00PM
FWIW their corporate versions (Latitude ?) are more rugged and last longer than their consumer version.
Date: February 17, 2020 06:39PM
cbelt3
FWIW their corporate versions (Latitude ?) are more rugged and last longer than their consumer version.

Thanks, I know it’s what I wanted her to get but she didn’t want to spend the extra money on them.
In all fairness, she doesn’t do much with it, mostly browsing and email and she really likes what she has and with the i7 it’s really fast, which that and the price was what she liked.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018