advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How is it legal that Ebay only provides sales records 90 days?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 17, 2020 09:16PM
Trying to get some accounting done and it seems that ebay can't even give you a years worth of sales history. They say they only store 90 days worth of information. How can that even be legal? You need access to at least the past years worth at bare minimum for tax purposes and they should be storing at least 5 years worth of past data to satisfy auditors. WTF.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How is it legal that Ebay only provides sales records 90 days?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 17, 2020 09:19PM
heh

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 17, 2020 09:22PM
your account -> sidebar / purchase history / see orders from dropdown

Its too bad ebay is yet another company primarily selling the same old chinese made stuff.

I remember when it was an auction site.

Posted by: clay
Date: February 17, 2020 09:28PM
yeah, it's kind of a pain. I ended up buying a subscription to: [www.godaddy.com] to keep track of all stuff that I deal with through Ebay, PayPal, amazon and Stripe. Tracking thousands of various transactions, payments, fees, shipping, etc was too much to do manually each year. I hate paying the monthly fee, but it's kind of required to have any semblance of accurate records when you deal with more than a handful of sales/year.
Date: February 17, 2020 10:17PM
mattkime
your account -> sidebar / purchase history / see orders from dropdown

Its too bad ebay is yet another company primarily selling the same old chinese made stuff.

I remember when it was an auction site.

I need Sales history, not purchase history. I tried looking at their invoices, but it is clear they don't have any accountants on their programming team as their invoices don't match reality.

I have an item that was sold for $266 according to the invoice from ebay and fees were charged based off that, but paypal shows $256 received minus their fees. No refunds, fees were not an even $10, etc. The $10 is just completely missing and the item was sold 6 months ago so the listing is gone. I've found dozens of mistakes like this and it is impossible to reconcile Ebay to Paypal.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 10:19PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 17, 2020 10:21PM
IF there's any legal obligation to store sales records for customer access, I bet it's far less than for the Government.

My guess it's they whom they have to hold years of records for, not us.

And maybe they have to provide a record to you for a transaction if you provide an order number, but not wholesale records of your transactions.

I didn't know about the 90 day eBay limit.

Makes me appreciate AMZ's near forever records.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 17, 2020 10:53PM
Ebay doesn't own you vast transactional records any more than the supermarket does.

If you do everything though paypal, you can download ALL of your history in a spreadsheet ready file. [business.paypal.com]
Date: February 17, 2020 11:40PM
hal
Ebay doesn't owe you vast transactional records any more than the supermarket does.

If you do everything though paypal, you can download ALL of your history in a spreadsheet ready file. [business.paypal.com]

Did that, except that the total sales in Paypal do not match the Ebay invoices from each month or even total for the year. This is a new account created at the start of the year, it is only used for ebay selling. No buying, no selling off ebay, etc. Shipping is done through a different account completely so there are no deductions from the ballance for that. The Ebay invoices should exactly match what is in Paypal, minus paypal fees and they do not. Not even close. Talking 4 figures off.

Like I said, I've scoured the paypal reports. They ballance with themselves perfectly (as they should), and ballance with what I recorded to have been sold with how much and what should be in there.

However, Ebay's invoices do not match what the paypal transactions show. Ebay is claiming and taking fees for more money than actually came in and there is no way to reconcile that for the year since you cannot look up actual transactions past 90 days. Like I said, I have an ebay invoice that says an item sold for $266 and ebay fees were calculated on that and billed at the end of the month, but the paypal payment shows $256 minus paypal fees.

Without being able to see the transaction data on ebay's end it is impossible to know where that $10 went as well as if the fees were correctly being assessed.

While Ebay may not owe me transactional data indefinitely, as a business and provider of a service they need to be able to maintain accurate records and they certainly should be providing history for the past year. The Supermarket isn't a valid comparison as they aren't selling to a business and they are not working on an account based system. If the grocery store extended you credit on an account and only billed you monthly you bet they better be able to provide you with accurate statements of your monthly purchases with transaction history for audits.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 11:42PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: February 18, 2020 12:31AM
Does craiglist keep your records of selling something . Did newspapers for sell ads . They just sell you ad space .
Date: February 18, 2020 01:02AM
srf1957
Does craiglist keep your records of selling something . Did newspapers for sell ads . They just sell you ad space .

Ebay doesn't just sell the space. They handle the transaction from start to finish, issue refunds, credits, etc. Same as Amazon Market place (where you have unlimited history of sales).

C(-)ris
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 18, 2020 06:46AM
That info should be available in your own email, as eBay sends you multiple emails for each order (order confirm/shipped/delivered). Each shipment has a packing slip as well. You can create a file system in Numbers.

Do I do this? No.

C(-)ris
Trying to get some accounting done and it seems that ebay can't even give you a years worth of sales history. They say they only store 90 days worth of information. How can that even be legal? You need access to at least the past years worth at bare minimum for tax purposes and they should be storing at least 5 years worth of past data to satisfy auditors. WTF.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 18, 2020 09:57AM
You can download up to four months of recent account history from eBay, so I recommend downloading your eBay history every quarter going forward. This will at least make it possible for you to figure out what is going on, and whether the problem is opaque accounting procedures or outright fraud.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018