advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A Scout is Loyal, Trustworthy, ... Bankrupt ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 18, 2020 08:50AM
Old Sins of the pedophiles is taking the organization down. Horrible people destroying an organization that has provided guidance and skills for over 100 years.

[www.cnn.com]

FWIW, I've been associated with Scouting since the 1960's, and an adult leader for over 20 years off and on. Policies and procedures put in place in the 1990's should be preventing abuses, and probably do in many cases. I would be personally happy if all child abusers died. Painfully.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A Scout is Loyal, Trustworthy, ... Bankrupt ?
Posted by: pinion
Date: February 18, 2020 09:19AM
I got an email about it today or last night. I haven't read it yet but since I owe money currently after my son crossing over I wonder why anyone would give money to an organization that just filed chapter 11. Granted, I'm pretty ignorant to just about everything involved in all of that. I want him to be involved.. he was just talking to me last night about how he wants to be the first to eagle, how he wants to be a senior patrol leader when he get first class, and how he wants to be a firecrafter. I'm excited for him so I guess I'm just going to hope that BSA get's this figured out and keep things going.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 18, 2020 09:33AM
....they are doing it really to protect their assets from the legal issues......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 18, 2020 09:44AM
Ultimately the power of scouting is local. If you have a good troop, what happens at BSA HQ is background noise. That said, BSA corporate provides a lot of services, and that takes money.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 18, 2020 10:19AM
This is sad. sad smiley I made it to Life... then due to not liking some of the people helping out (my parents were both involved) I got a bad taste in my mouth, discovered girls and kind of faded away from my troop. I am somewhat regretful that I didn't finish but it is what it is.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 18, 2020 10:21AM
The vast majority of friends I still have from childhood are from my Scouting days.

Cub Scout
Weeblos
Boy Scout
Sea Scout
Sea Scout Skipper (equivalent to Boy Scout Scoutmaster)
Posted by: Pat
Date: February 18, 2020 10:23AM
Eagle BOR next month for my son.
When they dumped ScoutBook on everyone, I decided that was a good time to step back and hand over the advancement reins to someone else.
Date: February 18, 2020 10:24AM

Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 18, 2020 11:16AM
There are times when I am thankful that I was too poor to afford the scout uniform…

=wr=
Date: February 18, 2020 11:21AM

....in a scout....uniform......

Posted by: dk62
Date: February 18, 2020 11:26AM
My only problem with BSA was the religious aspect - my son almost didn't make Eagle because he refused to lie about his lack of belief in undemostratable powers. But the local Troup managed to work around it eventually, although it was painful.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 18, 2020 12:33PM
Is there a merit badge for that?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 18, 2020 02:54PM
In the mid 1960's, our scoutmaster, who had already served, was called back for another short tour of duty in the military, training newbies for Viet Nam. While he was gone, one of the dads, who had prior scoutmaster experience, took over. The neatest thing about the military call-up, was that the scoutmaster left his nearly new Pontiac GTO in our garage, so my dad could take it for a gentle, weekly Sunday drive.

The worst things about the real scoutmaster being gone, were that on a weekend campout in the mountains, shortly after the scoutmaster reported for military duty, a younger scout/camper presumably wandered off alone, even though the "buddy system" was in place. Never should've happened. Kid never came back. Eventually, skin, and bloody finger marks were found on some rocks next to a trail at a steep drop off. The kid was found dead a couple of hundred feet below. End of camping trip.

A few months later, after a weekly troop meeting had ended, the SPL "wanted to talk to [me] you"..., and even though I had ridden my bicycle to the meeting, at his insistence, we walked thru the park-like area near the elementary school where our meetings were held. When walking, it was a slight shortcut, but not really practical for riding a bicycle thru. When we were in the middle of the "shortcut", the SPL stopped, and morphed into a demonic sexual deviant. My bicycle and I got outa there as fast as possible.

I didn't know what to do, so I kept quiet, but thought back to the fateful camping trip a few months earlier, and remembered that it was the SPL that had "noticed" the skin marks, and pointed me in the direction to "discover" them in their entirety, which led to finding the dead scout down below on the mountain. Had the SPL perhaps morphed, and attacked the younger scout on that trail, as part of buddy system after all?

When the real scoutmaster got back from his military tour, about four months later, to resume his position as scoutmaster, and to pickup his GTO; he was dismayed to find out I had quit the Boy Scouts. While he tried, and pried, to get the reasons for my decision to drop out, I told him that it had nothing to do with the interim scoutmaster in his absence, and left the implication that it could possibly have been because of others, including the SPL. When the GTO drove down the street, that was the last contact I had with anything Boy Scouts related, until a nephew got his Eagle Scout awarded a couple of years ago.
==
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 18, 2020 03:01PM
The day they made an announcement about banning gay scouts OR leaders, they were dead to me. My oldest son's best friend is the son of a lesbian couple, and despite the friend not being gay, my son refused to go to an organization where his friends parents would be banned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 03:01PM by sekker.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 18, 2020 03:32PM
It’s estimated that 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused by the time they are 18. [1in6.org]

Such abuse, especially at an early age, can result in severe psychological damage to the victim over the course of their life. When I was growing up in the fifties and sixties, sexual abuse was a forbidden topic - it was actually considered too shameful to talk about. That’s why organizations like the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church found it easy (and very convenient) to ignore it or cover it up. Well, the chickens are finally coming home to roost, and it’s hard to sympathize with the institutions who knew what was happening but declined to address it. I was in a great Troop and had a wonderful time. Many other boys weren’t so lucky. Now the opportunity for millions of boys to engage in positive activities like Scouting may be dwindling or gone entirely.

Abusers are very evil people and I understand those who believe they should be sentenced to death.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 03:37PM by Ammo.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 18, 2020 04:00PM
Buzz... that's terrifying. I'm glad you escaped.

For others... SPL is a Senior Patrol Leader and not an adult leader. Scouts are currently trained (in fact it's the first training they get, and is repeated) on protecting themselves from abuse and recognizing the signs of grooming and abusers. Not that it always helps. One of my neighbors was dating a man who turned out to be very wrong, and her son, who was in our scout troop, pointed out the signs to me from his training. And I had a conversation with her, and she booted him ASAP. Fortunately he had not abused her two sons at that point.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 18, 2020 11:09PM
As usual, the Onion Nails it...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 19, 2020 01:47AM
The Onion need an English major (or even minor in this case) vetting their headings. Think about it.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 19, 2020 10:36AM
The Onion was funnier before they sold out to a buyer with a political agenda.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: February 19, 2020 03:09PM
Ammo
It’s estimated that 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused by the time they are 18. [1in6.org]

Such abuse, especially at an early age, can result in severe psychological damage to the victim over the course of their life. When I was growing up in the fifties and sixties, sexual abuse was a forbidden topic - it was actually considered too shameful to talk about. That’s why organizations like the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church found it easy (and very convenient) to ignore it or cover it up. Well, the chickens are finally coming home to roost, and it’s hard to sympathize with the institutions who knew what was happening but declined to address it. I was in a great Troop and had a wonderful time. Many other boys weren’t so lucky. Now the opportunity for millions of boys to engage in positive activities like Scouting may be dwindling or gone entirely.

Abusers are very evil people and I understand those who believe they should be sentenced to death.

I wasn't aware that BSA knew, and covered up, abuse in the past. And of course all I can find in the news now when looking for it is the recent bankruptcy stuff. Do you have any sources on BSA ignoring and/or covering up past abuses?

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: February 19, 2020 03:14PM
Never mind. I found what I was looking for on wikipedia and its sources: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edit: it's to its

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 08:17PM by pinion.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 19, 2020 06:23PM
I went through cub scouts and enjoyed it but never made it past tenderfoot in BSA. It just wasn't fun and the leaders' kids got all the perks.

It was a fine organization in general, just one that never meshed with my desires.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: February 19, 2020 09:08PM
.....scouts'.......honor.....????

Posted by: raz
Date: February 20, 2020 08:25AM
Ombligo
I went through cub scouts and enjoyed it but never made it past tenderfoot in BSA. It just wasn't fun and the leaders' kids got all the perks.

We must have been in the same troop.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020