advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Windows 10 laptop question
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 19, 2020 12:54AM
I pulled some ram out of a dead Santa Rosa machine of mine and put it into my partner's old Dull Vostro 1500 craptop. It is now maxed out at 4 gigs of RAM. Windows 10 runs OK, but if a few windows/apps are running, I'm sure there is a critical shortage of RAM.

I just upped my old HP i3 craptop to Windows 10 and 8 gigs of RAM, maxed out. I noticed that just the basic Win 10 running took over 6 GB of RAM, which leads me to ask this question.....

Does Win 10 use the internal drive for swap space if there is a shortage of RAM? And if so, should a RAM starved machine benefit from a Crucial MX500 over the basic BX500 model?

The Windows 10 was free in both cases, and I had the RAM for the Dull already. The RAM for my HP was just $25 here in the classifieds, so its not like I am dumping money into these. The Dull has an externally accessable drive sled, so that swap is a snap. My HP needs a new cooling fan, on order, so I will be cracking it open anyway.

In these RAM-starved machines, would the faster SSD model help over a basic SSD?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Windows 10 laptop question
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 19, 2020 07:45AM
I am not an expert in these things, but I think you normally see a huge difference going from HD to SSD. Going from one SSD to a better SSD you probably do not see that much gain. If you already have BX500, I don't think MX500 would give you that much gain, unless MX is 2-3x faster than BX, which I doubt.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 19, 2020 09:18AM
Apologies Racer X, can't answer your question, I think s-t is correct though.
and not to threadjack but this reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask
re Win 10.

My old HP i5 craptop runs Win 7, fully licensed version w/ install key #.
If I obtain the Win 10 update package, can I install it & remain 'licensed' or do I
need to buy a new Win 10 install?

I see the Win 10 install media on ebay dirt cheap with the disclaimer it does not
include the Install Key #.
dunno smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 19, 2020 09:46AM
Micro$oft still seems to be allowing free upgrades to Win10. Just be aware that your Win7 license likey won't work afterwards.

A SSD would definitely speed up a laptop with 4 GB running Win10. Having 8 GB is currently the minimum most people will recommend. I will put a SSD into any computer that gets regular use and has SATA II or faster.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 09:47AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 19, 2020 11:14AM
Microsoft allows free upgrade, windows 7 license isn’t tied to machine. It’s automatically identified if you use an OEM installer disc. It’s in the machine bios.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 19, 2020 04:06PM
My HP laptop has Win 7, and I used that Win 10 installer you mentioned with my Win 7 key and it worked fine. I also used that same Win 7 ser# to install Win 10 on my partner's Win XP laptop when it Win 10 wouldn't take the XP serial number. dunno smiley
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 20, 2020 11:30AM
Carm
Microsoft allows free upgrade, windows 7 license isn’t tied to machine. It’s automatically identified if you use an OEM installer disc. It’s in the machine bios.

Confirmed! Just did my HP Elitebook (took over an hour on Gigabit wired!).
Detailed in new post

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018