advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Network Question…How do I…
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: February 22, 2020 05:28AM
Currently, I have fiber running to the house. It comes in to the basement and from there I have an ethernet cable plugged into a Linkys Velop for Wifi. It is a 2 node system. The first Node is close the the fiber connection. The second node is upstairs and about 25 feet west of node 1. I would like to relocate node 1 to either upstairs or a more central location in the basement. The north side of the house has poor reception.

If I relocate to upstairs, I think I would like to connect Apple TV via Ethernet.
What additional equipment do I need?

1 Long ethernet cable (cat 7?)

A router or Switch or ???

Multiple ethernet patch cords...

Thanks,

Steve
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Network Question…How do I…
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 22, 2020 07:50AM
You can use a long Cat 6a cable from your fiber to node 1.

It looks like the Linksys velop has 2 ethernet ports - you should probably verify this. I think your appletv could connect to that via ethernet.

I suspect you could run ethernet between the two nodes but that would obviously require some work. I also suspect that you could rely on mesh functionality to connect between the two nodes and still have the appletv connected via ethernet.

Some of this gets into details I'm not familiar with as I haven't worked with this particular hardware.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 22, 2020 08:40AM
If the fiber terminates inside of your house, you could simply connect a fiber jumper from there where the transceiver is currently located, and put the transceiver at the new location.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 23, 2020 08:45PM
If you relocate Node 1 to a more central location in the basement, you can do so using a long Cat 5e or Cat 6 patch cord (not necessary to use Cat 6a). I've seen patch cords as long at 25 feet.

If you relocate Node 1 to an upstairs location, you would probably need to run and terminate a Cat 6 Ethernet cable between floors and use patch cords at each end to connect devices.

Why not just purchase a third Velop node and put it somewhere that would provide better coverage to the north side of the house?

It is what it is.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: February 24, 2020 02:00AM
I'm starting with a 50' ethernet cable and we'll see how it goes.
The house is small enough that 2 nodes should cover it, if I can get them more spread apart.

Thanks for all the advice.

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018