advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I just ordered a 2017 imac - which Thunderbolt 3 Dock do I want and how much do I want to pay for it?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 24, 2020 08:38PM
I like the OWC docks, but are there others that I might be interested in too? Are there more than one version of the OWC dock? Do I care?

If you're interested, I found a 2017 i7 27" for $1350 +tax used and no warranty that I know of... frankly, I'm a little nervous. it's trustworthy seller, but I only have a 60 day keep it or return it warranty. (Maybe some bonus applecare). This will replace my 2015 i5 27".
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I just ordered a 2017 imac - which Thunderbolt 3 Dock do I want and how much do I want to pay for it?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 24, 2020 08:57PM
Why do you want a dock? There's usually a better argument to use one with a laptop - you get power and connectivity.

You'd probably do well with a much cheaper usb-c dock. Or a good old usb hub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 08:57PM by mattkime.
Re: I just ordered a 2017 imac - which Thunderbolt 3 Dock do I want and how much do I want to pay for it?
Date: February 24, 2020 09:14PM
I need more than 2 TB ports
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 24, 2020 09:18PM
iMac L E A D E R !

Get a USBC or USB3 dock for any added peripherals if the ports are not enough.
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 24, 2020 09:30PM
Others to consider come from Elgato and CalDigit
Posted by: clay
Date: February 24, 2020 09:39PM
I don't think you can multiply Thunderbolt ports. You get 2. No dock will have more than 2 ports (one for connecting to computer, 1 for connecting to a peripheral). You could daisy chain several things together to use more than 2 TB devices, but it's not like a USB hub.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 24, 2020 09:44PM
hal

I'm not aware of a dock that adds Thunderbolt ports. At best, you get one TB pass-thru port and a USB-C/USB 3.1 port.

What do you need to connect? That will determine what kind of dock you need. Each dock has different ports.

If you want everything (Everything except Firewire. Everyone's dropped Firewire.), but it's power-hungry, you go Caldigit... And if you want to support our sponsors, you go for the OWC version of this dock which is bigger and tosses in an extra card reader slot.

If you want the most stable with a decent port-selection and support for multiple displays, but not so many ports/slots you go Elgato.

Cheap with shallow USB-C ports (because you enjoy pain)? Go StarTech.

Wanna look like you live in a cubicle? Dell and HP sell branded TB docks that work (mostly) with Macs.

Date: February 24, 2020 09:57PM
Sarcany
hal

I'm not aware of a dock that adds Thunderbolt ports. At best, you get one TB pass-thru port and a USB-C/USB 3.1 port.

What do you need to connect? That will determine what kind of dock you need. Each dock has different ports.

If you want everything (Everything except Firewire. Everyone's dropped Firewire.), but it's power-hungry, you go Caldigit... And if you want to support our sponsors, you go for the OWC version of this dock which is bigger and tosses in an extra card reader slot.

If you want the most stable with a decent port-selection and support for multiple displays, but not so many ports/slots you go Elgato.

Cheap with shallow USB-C ports (because you enjoy pain)? Go StarTech.

Wanna look like you live in a cubicle? Dell and HP sell branded TB docks that work (mostly) with Macs.

great info - thanks

I have a TB2 raid and an extra 27" monitor that are connected 100% of the time. That will take the two TB ports right there unless I expand. Also need to plug in an external TB2 drive on occasion. I have several USB3 drives and printers etc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 24, 2020 10:13PM
hal
I have a TB2 raid and an extra 27" monitor that are connected 100% of the time. That will take the two TB ports right there unless I expand. Also need to plug in an external TB2 drive on occasion. I have several USB3 drives and printers etc.

I suspect that your TB2 RAID has a TB pass-thru port. So, instead of a dock, you get a TB2/3 adapter ($49); and a Displayport cable ($15) (I'm assuming that your display will take a Displayport connection. Swap for HDMI if necessary.); and a (black) Anker 7-port powered USB 3.0 hub ($35).

Instead of $200-300 on a dock and another $15 for the display-cable, you spend $100 and you don't lose desk-space.

Connect the RAID to the Mac with a TB2/3 adapter.
[www.amazon.com]

Connect the TB2 drive thru the RAID.

Connect the display to the iMac with an adapter like this:
[www.amazon.com]

Connect your USB devices with the USB hub.
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 24, 2020 10:49PM
Which RAID do you have? Would probably be good to verify port functionality on that thing.

Which monitor do you have? What resolution do you run it at?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 10:50PM by mattkime.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 25, 2020 09:56AM
Sarcany
hal

I suspect that your TB2 RAID has a TB pass-thru port. So, instead of a dock, you get a TB2/3 adapter ($49); and a Displayport cable ($15) (I'm assuming that your display will take a Displayport connection. Swap for HDMI if necessary.); and a (black) Anker 7-port powered USB 3.0 hub ($35).

Instead of $200-300 on a dock and another $15 for the display-cable, you spend $100 and you don't lose desk-space.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

I have had the USB hub for over a year and have had no issues with it.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: February 25, 2020 10:31AM
macphanatic
Sarcany
hal

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

I have had the USB hub for over a year and have had no issues with it.

I just got this hub too and I like it a lot

Steve
Date: February 25, 2020 11:42AM
Thanks for the info - I'll probably go that route until I find a cheap hub - I just like having everything all in one easy to reach place
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 25, 2020 12:20PM
Hal,

What kind of RAID? The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1 or 2 adapter won't work with bus-powered devices. If the your RAID box is bus-powered, you'll need to find a different solution.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018