advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do you do for emergency preparedness?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 25, 2020 07:27PM
I have friends that live in fire country. Their house is in a rural area and on a ridge top. Pretty dangerous wildfire country, but they do everything possible to minimize the danger. The county they live in HIGHLY recommend having at least three days of supplies on hand. That's a pretty normal warning in many areas prone to danger.

I'm a little lazy on the subject. I'm high enough to not be in danger of flooding. Fire isn't a danger. Earthquakes do not hit this area, but I suppose that is still possible. I'm lazy, but probably more prepared than others.

I'm a backpacker and keep backpacking dehydrated food on hand. The stuff has expiration dates like 40 years off, so I buy deals when I find them and never worry about having too much. I've got a couple of water filters and other backpacking gear. Rivers aren't far away if it comes to that.

But I suspect that you folks in REAL earthquake, fire, tornado hurricane danger zones have to take this stuff seriously.

What have you done to prepare?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do you do for emergency preparedness?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 25, 2020 07:53PM
One of the easiest and most effective ways to prepare is to recognize what is essential and what isn't.

In order to survive you need a few essentials - primarily food and water. Food can be basic, whole countries make do with staples like rice and beans. It may be boring, but you will survive. Water can be distilled or chemically treated with household bleach. Once again it may not be Aquafina but it works fine.

I guess what I'm saying is ultimately about survival, not comfort.

So have your generators, bottled water, and canned pasta but know how to do without it - as your Grandparents likely did every day.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 25, 2020 07:54PM
.....always wear clean underwear.....no 'holey' underwear......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 25, 2020 08:03PM
Living in hurricane territory, here are two good, basic lists (PDF format):

[www.fema.gov]

[www.redcross.org]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 25, 2020 08:21PM
Nothing past having some whiskey and beer on hand. Then again, we're outside disaster territory compared to others.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 25, 2020 08:33PM
Based on what happened during Sandy, I have a box with batteries and kitchen matches and that kind of thing. I also have a solar-powered lamp with a USB charging port. Another solar lamp/charger would be handy, but I could be dead before another event of that magnitude takes place. Some of the batteries I stashed away expired, so they were a waste of money.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 25, 2020 08:39PM
The most likely problem here in Sacramento, is losing power during a wind storm. About 15-20 years ago, I lost power for almost a week. This was of course during the winter. I do have a fireplace where I live. I should probably buy just a little bit of firewood so that I have heat if this happens again.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: February 25, 2020 08:40PM
We have a couple of gasoline-powered generators to operate the essentials (refrigerator, freezer, and well pump).

I have a small solar powered battery system for more modest electronic needs. We always use a wood stove for winter heating and can use it for heating water and cooking.

We always have at least a week of food on hand just in pantry items since we live far from town. If we are expecting bad weather to bring down the power, we fill containers of potable water.

We have a couple of ponds from which I could ferry water to provide water for our livestock if we can't get the well pump running (or keep it running for longer stretches).

We keep ample diesel on hand to run the tractors to distribute large round bales of hay to the livestock and to do snow removal or assist in clearing downed trees.

We live in the mountains with low risk of most disasters. Our last significant inconvenience was a winter ice storm that overloaded trees to the extent that downed trees caused more than 80% of our county to lose power. Ours was out for over 3 days. Travel with the thick ice was too dangerous. It was very challenging for me to manage the livestock.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 25, 2020 08:44PM
I keep a 5 gallon container of water around, and a full barbeque propane bottle at all times, in addition to enough "dried goods" food and canned food to survive several weeks. Longer, if I don't mind some strange combination meals.
5 gallons of water wouldn't be enough for longer than a few days, but this area is lousy with water... we have several rivers and innumerable creeks close to town.
I could be better with batteries, solar charger, etc... I actually have a plan to remedy that when the weather warms up a bit (I have a couple salvaged solar panels and a charger/inverter... should run some lights, chargers, etc.... not QUITE enough for the fridge, though).

I've lived in prime Earthquake and Tsunami country most of my life, and local memory of the '64 Flood that cut this area off from all supplies and help for weeks (months for the smaller communities in outlying areas! A few of those towns were simply erased from existence... they are just place names now)...
I remember the 1980 earthquake that had the power out for days. I remember the "Triple Quake" of 1992, that knocked dozens of homes off their foundations, and I remember rock slides that closed all three highways in and out of this area for a week. One wasn't cleared for months.

We've been lucky, and most people around here that have lived here as long as I have know it.... and keep some stuff around "just in case".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: blooz
Date: February 25, 2020 08:44PM
I have solar powered light devices and batteries for other devices. I tried buying foods for storage at one time but found that I forgot about them and they would go way past their sell-by date, so i stopped that. I live by a river so I probably should get some water purification tablets or something like that.
Only time i would really be in trouble is if disaster happened in the middle of winter. I'd have to burn the furniture in the fireplace.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 25, 2020 08:59PM
I did the same as hal with backpacking food. Two stashes in different parts of the house, each has several days of food and water. I guess I should have a camp stove and pots in each food stash. I have a LED flashlight that works on power tool batteries. One average battery will last almost 24 hours and I have six of them. Again, having a flashlight by each stash would be better. Add to that a solar USB charger panels, hand cranked generators, power banks, and a couple of the backpacking filter straws to allow me to travel and not worry about carrying water.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: February 25, 2020 09:08PM
I met a dairy farmer that lived west of downtown Ferndale and he had stories to tell of the '64 flood. YIKES! I think that you may very well live in the the most dangerous area of the state.

Paul F.
I keep a 5 gallon container of water around, and a full barbeque propane bottle at all times, in addition to enough "dried goods" food and canned food to survive several weeks. Longer, if I don't mind some strange combination meals.
5 gallons of water wouldn't be enough for longer than a few days, but this area is lousy with water... we have several rivers and innumerable creeks close to town.
I could be better with batteries, solar charger, etc... I actually have a plan to remedy that when the weather warms up a bit (I have a couple salvaged solar panels and a charger/inverter... should run some lights, chargers, etc.... not QUITE enough for the fridge, though).

I've lived in prime Earthquake and Tsunami country most of my life, and local memory of the '64 Flood that cut this area off from all supplies and help for weeks (months for the smaller communities in outlying areas! A few of those towns were simply erased from existence... they are just place names now)...
I remember the 1980 earthquake that had the power out for days. I remember the "Triple Quake" of 1992, that knocked dozens of homes off their foundations, and I remember rock slides that closed all three highways in and out of this area for a week. One wasn't cleared for months.

We've been lucky, and most people around here that have lived here as long as I have know it.... and keep some stuff around "just in case".
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 25, 2020 09:30PM
Like Freem here in Sacramento -- nothing. Im closer to the river, and some "1000 year storm" flooding is possible, but it wouldnt be an "instant" thing. It would take weeks of super wet storms that pushed resources to their limits. Which would be an amazing feat in itself.

Drive 5-10 minutes to east and you're safe.

I think we have had our power go out maybe 5 times in the last 17 years, longest might have been an hour or so... and localized -- just the few blocks around us. So again, a 5 minute drive and like it doesnt exist.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 25, 2020 09:44PM
We pretty much always keep a week or more supply of food on hand. We generally don't lose water supply, even with the power out. We also can heat our house without power and have several small solar options for charging phones. That pretty much keeps us okay in the event of a major snow storm. In 16 years here, the longest we have been without power is 24 hours. The longest roads have been impassable was 3 days.

We're definitely concerned about fires, living in the Sierra. In the summer months, our camper van is parked facing outward and is ready to go with fuel and water. There's also bedding and some clothes always in there. Grab minimal food, clothing laptops/phones and dogs and go!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: srf1957
Date: February 25, 2020 11:15PM
I wear cargo pants or shorts. I put TP in one of the pockets. when going hiking .
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 25, 2020 11:15PM
In my downtown Chicago highrise, I don't have much worry about natural disasters, and certainly not wildfires. A decade ago I thought the most likely scenario was a dirty bomb that would require getting out of town in a hurry, and so I have a bugout backpack with a couple liters of water, a bit of high-protein food, a Mylar blanket and a few other lightweight but potentially useful things.

The thought of a pandemic has me reassessing, but I'm not sure what I should do differently. I typically have about 3-4 weeks of food on hand, and so long as water and electric service continues I could pretty easily cope with up to six weeks of quarantine.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 25, 2020 11:19PM
I have a bug out kit with fire starters, small solar panels, .22 cal air rifle w/ 3k pellets, HPA pump, carbon fiber overwrap CBA tank, 72 hours food supply for 3 people, tent, back packs and a jerry can with a built in filter that can filter about 5000l of water. Water is often plentiful. Clean water is rare.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 26, 2020 10:04AM
Not too much to worry about here in northern MI. We may get a tornado every so often, but even they are not as bad as tornado alley states. Other than that, cold weather power outages are probably our biggest concern. I keep two small generators on hand to at least keep the well pumping water and power the wood stove fan.

Food is good for a couple of months, so all the basics are covered in case of an extended power outage.

I don't see any reason to bug out, unless there's a war with the enemy occupying and terrorizing the local population. dunno smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 26, 2020 11:02AM
hal
I met a dairy farmer that lived west of downtown Ferndale and he had stories to tell of the '64 flood. YIKES! I think that you may very well live in the the most dangerous area of the state.

Ferndale sure took the brunt of the '64 Flood...
About 45 minutes drive south of Ferndale, on Hwy 101, at a nondescript spot in the road, there's a high water mark sign... About 15' off the road. Then you look off to the left, across the valley, which is long, and wide, and maybe 80' below the surface of the road... and you think about the sheer VOLUME of water that filled that ENTIRE valley up to the level of that sign...

And yet, I'll take the once-in-500-years flooding like that over the firestorms the rest of the state gets!
I'm less thrilled about earthquakes, and really unthrilled about tsunami... My house is safe from all but a MASSIVE (greater than Indonesia, or Japan) tsunami... but the rest of the city, not so much!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: February 26, 2020 12:45PM
We have two plastic garbage cans in the garage filled with emergency supplies: disinfected water, water disinfection tabs, canned food, freeze-dried food, clothing, camping gear, tools, flashlights, batteries, cash, etc.

We have "go bags" in our hall closet with a few things (clothes, lights, important papers, etc, along with a clipboard attached to the same hook that lists what other things to grab during an evacuation depending on time available.

We also have small packs in each car with a few emergency supplies.

My neighborhood homeowners' association owns a small park and it contains a utility building filled with emergency gear.

That reminds me...time to replenish the water, cycle the canned food into the pantry and buy some replacements.

We're both in earthquake country (1 mile from the Hayward Fault) and we live at the urban-wildland interface (fire hazard).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2020 12:47PM by davester.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 26, 2020 12:59PM
When the time comes that our local fault breaks loose, or one of our 3 nearby volcanos blow again, not much anyone can do. From a geological timeline, that would be soon. But in a human generation timeline, maybe in several hundreds or thousands of lifetimes.

Or April. dunno smiley
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 26, 2020 01:27PM
Hal,

Something net yet mentioned that is a critical must have in any emergency preparedness kit is medicine. For example, if you're diabetic and take Metformin, Jardiance or a similar medication to help control your blood sugar, make sure you have it in your kit. Same goes for test strips and such. High blood pressure? Have a stock of your hypertension med. Acid reflux med? Put a supply of it in your kit. You get the idea. For some people, medication might be option. For others, it is critical.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 26, 2020 02:36PM
Water, batteries, battery pack, ammo.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 27, 2020 12:32PM
Get a $50 BBQ that uses charcoal briquettes for when the freezer and refrigerator go out.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 03, 2020 03:37PM
....become even more......bootilicious......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018