advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Frikkin eBay had default shipping as free
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 27, 2020 10:29AM
I listed an awkwardly sized item, with the proviso that the buyer contact me for shipping options to possibly disassemble the item to save money on the shipping. Somehow the default check box was on free shipping even though I filled in all of the fields for item weight, package dimensions and preferred shipper. Item sold in a matter of hours. Probably listed too low, but I'm ok with that. Paying for shipping, however, is not cool, as it will be about a third of the whole cost. Outside of getting the buyer to agree to pay for shipping, is there an option for sending the buyer a bill for shipping cost?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Frikkin eBay had default shipping as free
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 27, 2020 10:36AM
I think I'd try to nullify the sale and relist.

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 27, 2020 10:40AM
The buyer bought it expecting free shipping so to change things afterwards could lead to an unhappy buyer which could impinge on your eBay status. You might have to just swallow it this time and use it as a learning moment. I do a lot of eBay and every listing I do I mark as scheduled for later. This puts it in the Scheduled listings which you can then click on to see the listing as it will appear on eBay. If it looks good and is how I want it I then edit to list immediately. Puts one more stage in the process but even with my long time experience it will help catch the occasional mistake I make.

Paul

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 27, 2020 10:42AM
mattkime
I think I'd try to nullify the sale and relist.

If he does that he risks negative feedback or at the minimum penalty points on his account.

Paul

Posted by: Acer
Date: February 27, 2020 11:03AM
Lot of "helpful" default box-checking when listing on eBay. Really got to watch. It loves to check the "Accept Offers" for me on my behalf, and all I get is low-ballers from that.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 27, 2020 11:27AM
mrbigstuff
I listed an awkwardly sized item, with the proviso that the buyer contact me for shipping options to possibly disassemble the item to save money on the shipping. Somehow the default check box was on free shipping even though I filled in all of the fields for item weight, package dimensions and preferred shipper. Item sold in a matter of hours. Probably listed too low, but I'm ok with that. Paying for shipping, however, is not cool, as it will be about a third of the whole cost. Outside of getting the buyer to agree to pay for shipping, is there an option for sending the buyer a bill for shipping cost?

You could send an invoice with the package(s). But you might not get the response you're hoping for. Have you contacted the buyer to explain the error? How many digits' worth of currency is involved here? Three figures? Four?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 11:29AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 27, 2020 12:22PM
In your shoes, I'd bite the bullet on this one and pay the shipping myself, gripe about it to my wife quite justifiably three times a week for a year or two, then chalk it up to experience.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 27, 2020 12:26PM
See if you can cancel the sale, and refund the money. Maybe kick in $10 so no hard feelings?

OTOH, if this is a hard to sell item, maybe just eat the shipping....
Date: February 27, 2020 01:39PM
Sent buyer a message, see what he has to say about it. I'll be willing to split the cost, but otherwise may just cancel the sale.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 27, 2020 01:55PM
Cancel the sale. You can fib about a missing part. A seller did that to me because their item didn’t sell as well as expected. (He resold it a week later) I’m like whatever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 01:55PM by Carm.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 27, 2020 02:31PM
Carm
Cancel the sale. You can fib about a missing part. A seller did that to me because their item didn’t sell as well as expected. (He resold it a week later) I’m like whatever.

But the buyer can still leave negative feedback. eBay does make it less obvious how to do that, but it can be done.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 27, 2020 02:53PM
When I want to cancel a sale due to my own stupid mistake, I contact the buyer (I'm almost always selling a mac) and say that I always test everything right before it goes out the door just to be sure, but this time I found a problem. I'm sure I'll have it figured out in a day or two, but just to be prudent, I'm going to cancel the sale and refund 'your entire payment' (saying more than just 'a refund' has a positive affect).

I try to make it sound like I just rescued them from a potential disaster and I usually get huge thanks. Then I will relist it a month later (at least) so the buyer doesn't see that I'm relisting at a higher price.

NEVER, EVER do what you just did - ask for more money. Even if you're offering to split the cost. The buyer doesn't care about your mistakes - they are your mistakes. It will be seen as 'bait n switch' every time.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 27, 2020 02:55PM
mbs has to balance the cost of shipping, which may be considerable for an odd shaped item, against the potential fallout of a cancelled sale.

The shipping could be especially onerous if it's a big part of or exceeds the cost of the item.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 27, 2020 03:24PM
Ok, the buyer agreed to split the shipping cost. Turns out to be less if I break the item into different packages. So, what now? Do I send a revised invoice? He already paid, so I'm not sure how to do that....
Posted by: hal
Date: February 27, 2020 03:45PM
Send him a custom paypal invoice that you create at paypal.com

You need the buyers email address.
Date: February 27, 2020 06:36PM
I refunded the paid amount. Now, I would like to send him an invoice, but if that is not possible, should he just add the extra money to the amount he sees?
Posted by: rz
Date: February 27, 2020 07:32PM
selling on ebay sucks. It just does.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018