advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm curious... who here was the last to join this forum?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 28, 2020 05:00PM
Is there any way to find out who joined when? Who was the last 'new blood'? I'm thinking it must have been 2012 or so. Any way to know?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm curious... who here was the last to join this forum?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 28, 2020 05:07PM
You were the 212th person to join this forum.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 28, 2020 05:07PM
Here's when you joined - [forums.macresource.com]

Date: February 28, 2020 05:09PM
I know when I joined... I want to know who is the last regular participant to join up.

I get the idea that there hasn't been a new regular for many years...
Posted by: mrp-admin
Date: February 28, 2020 05:12PM
There have been a few. One just 2 days ago.

Problem is - if we open things up without actual vetting of users, it's bedlam with spammers. You all remember how much fun that was, right?
Date: February 28, 2020 05:14PM
Oh, and at the bottom of the page - for admin access users, at least smiling smiley It shows:

MacResource Forums - Forum Statistics
Global
Topics: 236,543, Posts: 2,441,457, Users: 6,957.
Our newest member d4.

This forum
Topics: 202,271, Posts: 2,023,631.
Date: February 28, 2020 05:18PM
mrp-admin

Problem is - if we open things up without actual vetting of users, it's bedlam with spammers. You all remember how much fun that was, right?

don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting any change, just curious... yes - I remember how unfun that was and I wasn't managing the forum.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 28, 2020 05:26PM
If an actual real person, not a spammer, were to wander upon this place and wanted to join, could they?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 28, 2020 06:10PM
mrp-admin

I remember that tumultuous time. I would send my beloved correspondence of the ye olde forum struggles fortnightly.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 28, 2020 06:11PM
I'd like to know what happened on October 25, 2018!
Posted by: d4
Date: February 28, 2020 06:28PM
mrp-admin
Our newest member d4.

That would be me. I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm not exactly "new".
After 9,041 postings over 15 years I thought it was time for a change.

The process of signing up for MRF was a bit odd. Enter new username, password, and email. Submit. Wait for email. Click on validation link in the email. Wait some more. Look at clock. Wait some more. Stare out window and contemplate. Wait some more. Look at calendar. Wait some more. After a day I logged into my old username and sent Admin a message to ask about it. And it was quickly activated after that.

I guess entrance into The MRF™ is by vouch only nowadays(?).
Well, here I am. Back at Postings:1.

*shrug*

Date: February 28, 2020 06:43PM
So our new members are just recycled old members - should have known

congrats on your first post haha
Posted by: davester
Date: February 28, 2020 06:55PM
So, I guess the question should be who is our most recent non-sockpuppet, non-spambot member.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 28, 2020 07:00PM
How many names are listed? Thousands, correct?
Date: February 28, 2020 07:26PM
I'm attempting to create a second account to verify some of these theories but I'm still waiting forr the new account to be accepted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 07:44PM by mattkime.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 28, 2020 07:37PM
....last in.....first out.....?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 28, 2020 07:59PM
The last 5 users from when I downloaded the user list about a year ago:
7222 LADave
7291 gregmech26
7309 dlipsher
7383 Sarcany
7455 cher0

gregmech26 is the only one (besides old-user/new-name Sarcany) that has ever posted.

I would be interested to hear from mrp-admin why the 240 other user slots between 7222 and 7455 are blank: banned users, never verified, etc.?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 07:59PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: February 28, 2020 08:06PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I would be interested to hear from mrp-admin why the 240 other user slots between 7222 and 7455 are blank: banned users, never verified, etc.?

Heh, I was curious about how the user ids might relate to accounts. Looks sequential, likely is.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 28, 2020 08:26PM
Just try to find a link to the forum on the OWC website...

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 28, 2020 08:46PM
mattkime
Filliam H. Muffman

Heh, I was curious about how the user ids might relate to accounts. Looks sequential, likely is.

It is very sequential in some number ranges (more likely under 1000).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 29, 2020 08:25AM
So how do you "see" your own user ID/account number?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 08:26AM by Cary.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 29, 2020 08:31AM
Click on a user name in a post title to show the public profile, and the URL will show "?1,XXX" at the end, the XXX is your number. (Ignore the leading "?1,")

There may be other ways, but that's what I found first.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 08:32AM by Acer.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 29, 2020 08:48AM

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 29, 2020 09:03AM
Acer
Click on a user name in a post title to show the public profile, and the URL will show "?1,XXX" at the end, the XXX is your number. (Ignore the leading "?1,")

There may be other ways, but that's what I found first.

Thanks!
Date: February 29, 2020 09:21AM
Spammers, etc.

Here's how it works.

When somebody sets up a new account, it's placed on hold, requiring manual approval. if it were automatic, anyone that wanted to spam the forum could and would.

When that new user registration pops up, we look at the account name (it's pretty telltale sometimes), and the email address. Then search the email address. 9 times out of 10 the email address has google search history - and when you see they have accounts with the same name registered on another forum, you naturally look at those posts. And then that 10th time out of 10 (exaggerating, but just a tiny bit) shows that they are trying to either project their political view about somebody, or are shilling a product. Another red flag is they have forum accounts elsewhere created *gasp* today!

Oh yeah - there's a spammer database out there too and people do post there as well about said email addresses - like a "this phone number spam phone called me". It's helpful too.

The FEW times that it's not got activity that is suspect we send an email saying they need to reply with what thread interested them on the MacResource Forum and why they want to post. The very few that reply are almost always looking on the politcal side (sorry, no foreign agents allowed to try and sway our opinions, we have plenty of residents to do that) and / or they are looking at a 3 year old thread about woodworking and wanted to talk about it. While we have nothing against woodworking it's not exactly going to get any input from regulars anymore and highly likely it's still some random spammer that is going to try and annoy us all.

We do let people in. And honestly we do then set up a simple web link search of all their posts and run through them occasionally to see what those new members are doing on the forum. And yes, many have been pulled out of circulation because they are unsavory characters.

If you have a friend that wants on the forum, and this happens occasionally, a simple PM gets their account active immediately. Friends of friends of the forum are ALWAYS welcome.

It's a real pain dealing with spammers. And I bet $5 none of you miss the posts they were constantly injecting into life here.

We could also go to activating new accounts with approval required on all posts by that new member. But it'd lead to just a lot more work than simple detective work for each new registration weeds out.

Thank you
MRF-Admin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 10:31AM by mrp-admin.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 29, 2020 09:58AM
.....would never join a club......that would have me as a member......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 29, 2020 01:48PM
I had no idea there was so much effort involved...

mrp-admin
Spammers, etc.

Here's how it works.

When somebody sets up a new account, it's placed on hold, requiring manual approval. if it were automatic, anyone that wanted to spam the forum could and would.

When that new user registration pops up, we look at the account name (it's pretty telltale sometimes), and the email address. Then search the email address. 9 times out of 10 the email address has google search history - and when you see they have accounts with the same name registered on another forum, you naturally look at those posts. And then that 10th time out of 10 (exaggerating, but just a tiny bit) shows that they are trying to either project their political view about somebody, or are shilling a product. Another red flag is they have forum accounts elsewhere created *gasp* today!

Oh yeah - there's a spammer database out there too and people do post there as well about said email addresses - like a "this phone number spam phone called me". It's helpful too.

The FEW times that it's not got activity that is suspect we send an email saying they need to reply with what thread interested them on the MacResource Forum and why they want to post. The very few that reply are almost always looking on the politcal side (sorry, no foreign agents allowed to try and sway our opinions, we have plenty of residents to do that) and / or they are looking at a 3 year old thread about woodworking and wanted to talk about it. While we have nothing against woodworking it's not exactly going to get any input from regulars anymore and highly likely it's still some random spammer that is going to try and annoy us all.

We do let people in. And honestly we do then set up a simple web link search of all their posts and run through them occasionally to see what those new members are doing on the forum. And yes, many have been pulled out of circulation because they are unsavory characters.

If you have a friend that wants on the forum, and this happens occasionally, a simple PM gets their account active immediately. Friends of friends of the forum are ALWAYS welcome.

It's a real pain dealing with spammers. And I bet $5 none of you miss the posts they were constantly injecting into life here.

We could also go to activating new accounts with approval required on all posts by that new member. But it'd lead to just a lot more work than simple detective work for each new registration weeds out.

Thank you
MRF-Admin
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 29, 2020 01:50PM
Me, either. We are a very exclusive group.

hal
I had no idea there was so much effort involved...

mrp-admin
Spammers, etc.

Here's how it works.

Thank you
MRF-Admin

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 29, 2020 02:41PM
Speedy
Me, either. We are a very exclusive group.

And yet, at times, I want to choke the life out of certain forum members. Go figure. punch smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 29, 2020 03:50PM
found a pic of mrp-admin:

Date: February 29, 2020 10:50PM
Acer
found a pic of mrp-admin:

Now THAT made me laugh smiling smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: March 01, 2020 09:06PM
mrp-admin
Spammers, etc.

Here's how it works.

Thank you
MRF-Admin

I just gotta say...a hearty thanks to you for helping this funny little community continue to exist. This is my odd little home on the web. It has a relaxed vibe, a bunch of characters, some of whom I love, some of whom I find irritating, but all of whom I would not want to lose. I fear for the end of this forum. We exist at the pleasure of OWC as far as I can tell. OWC is a fantastic vendor and I try to buy as much as possible from them. However, at some point in the future things will likely change, our membership will die off, and/or OWC management will want to cut us off. I fear for that eventuality. It would be nice to have a Plan B...i.e. a place that we can go to if MRF ceases to exist.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 01, 2020 09:21PM
A different sort of pipeline for new arrivals might help, the current one is primarily focused on not allowing the forum to become a time consumer for the admins. Some sort of balance that brings in new posters might help but then this sort of forum is pretty much passe for most internet users today - is it not?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018