AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
David Byrne: Once in a Lifetime (Live) - SNL
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 01, 2020 09:49PM
[www.youtube.com]

And you may say yourself
"My God! What have I done?"

"We're largely unconscious," Byrne says. "You know, we operate half awake or on autopilot and end up, whatever, with a house and family and job and everything else, and we haven't really stopped to ask ourselves, 'How did I get here?' "

[www.npr.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: David Byrne: Once in a Lifetime (Live) - SNL
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 01, 2020 09:53PM
That was fantastic!
Posted by: hal
Date: March 01, 2020 10:17PM
if you like that, you go nuts over this from the movie, This Must Be The Place: [www.youtube.com]

this guy is so damn creative
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 01, 2020 10:23PM
Thanks, that was great - missed it last night. thumbs up

Northern California Coast
Posted by: davester
Date: March 01, 2020 10:28PM
This is one act from his American Utopia tour. I saw this at the Fox Theater Oakland and luckily got to a spot right at the stage (i.e front row seats but there were no seats). It's really a fantastic performance.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 01, 2020 10:38PM
Watching it a second time... NO SHOES!

:-)

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 01, 2020 11:03PM
I wonder if "good-looking feet" was on the musical casting notice.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 02, 2020 07:58AM
hal
if you like that, you go nuts over this from the movie, This Must Be The Place: [www.youtube.com]

this guy is so damn creative

I can't tell one from another.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 02, 2020 08:02AM
.....Byrne.....baby Byrne.....disco inferno.....?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 02, 2020 11:56AM
I met him once, years ago, and managed to be cool about it because I didn’t recognize him and didn’t even know until after the fact that we had been in his house. Nice home, BTW.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 02, 2020 04:33PM
Always liked his work, and someone on reddit pointed to his SNL video of "Once in a Lifetime". I stopped watching SNL a few years ago, and didn't realize this was a recent performance. The group did a great job, but I couldn't help noticing how old looking David was. I guess if I look in the mirror more often, I would see another old dude.

"Stop Making Sense" was the first CD I ever bought. I think I paid over $300. for one of those fancy disc players, and SMS was also the first DDD disc I bought.

Man, I'm getting old!! old fogey smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 02, 2020 04:35PM
.....don't understand why there are times when SNL will just pull a musical act from the past.......or have a very obscure musical guest......not that every musical guest has to be 'pop' but..........they have David Byrne not really playing anything 'new'...........just randomly appear as musical guest........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 02, 2020 06:05PM
NewtonMP2100
.....don't understand why there are times when SNL will just pull a musical act from the past.......or have a very obscure musical guest......not that every musical guest has to be 'pop' but..........they have David Byrne not really playing anything 'new'...........just randomly appear as musical guest........

I'm cool with it.
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 02, 2020 09:52PM
NewtonMP2100

I know John Mulvaney had Byrne involved with his Sack Lunch Bunch Netflix special. Wonder if that had anything to do with Byrne’s presence on SNL?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 02, 2020 11:49PM
Bo
NewtonMP2100

I know John Mulvaney had Byrne involved with his Sack Lunch Bunch Netflix special. Wonder if that had anything to do with Byrne’s presence on SNL?

Exactly that. Lorne Michaels was known for getting requests from hosts regarding musical guests (as per "Live from New York"; good book if you're a fan). John Mulaney's work on Sack Lunch Bunch with Byrne most certainly led to this guest spot.

Everyone needs some Uplifting News: [www.reddit.com]

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 05, 2020 03:45PM
NewtonMP2100
He had a show on Broadway and it's returning to Broadway next September. These two songs are performed in that show. It was a great way to showcase the cast, yet satisfy people who haven't been following his recent career.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 05, 2020 06:07PM
Rick-o
"Stop Making Sense" was the first CD I ever bought. I think I paid over $300. for one of those fancy disc players, and SMS was also the first DDD disc I bought.

Still one of the all-time greatest movie soundtrack albums, thirty-five years later.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 09, 2020 05:02PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Rick-o

Still one of the all-time greatest movie soundtrack albums, thirty-five years later.

Oh yeah, the video of that concert was out of sight! Performance was so tight and perfect. I've watched the video at least a half dozen times, and I could watch it regularly for the rest of my lifetime. big grin smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018