advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking Of Tornados: What Does A Construction Crane Operator 375 Ft In The Air Do When A Tornado Is Coming Close To You?
Posted by: jh
Date: March 04, 2020 06:49PM
With so many construction cranes around the city I wonder if others were in operation also when the tornado came through downtown? Article states it takes 15 minutes for the operator to climb down the tower.

"Terrifying moment Nashville crane operator helplessly watches deadly tornado spiral towards him as he is stuck in his cabin 375ft in the air."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking Of Tornados: What Does A Construction Crane Operator 375 Ft In The Air Do When A Tornado Is Coming Close To You?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 04, 2020 07:10PM
Leave a legacy; start streaming.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2020 07:10PM by Speedy.
Re: Speaking Of Tornados: What Does A Construction Crane Operator 375 Ft In The Air Do When A Tornado Is Coming Close To You?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: March 04, 2020 07:44PM
I'd shave about 10-12 minutes off of that climb down. "To the Bat Pole Robin!"
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 05, 2020 07:55AM
“What Does A Construction Crane Operator 375 Ft In The Air Do When A Tornado Is Coming Close To You?”

Why would a crane operator care about a tornado close to me?

devil smiley
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 05, 2020 10:47AM
Typically, they have someone monitoring weather conditions.

There are procedures that they implement based upon wind and weather conditions. In high wind conditions, they need to lower loads, disconnect and set the crane to free wheel if possible. On a one crane site, this is easy. The challenge comes when there are multiple tower cranes on site as there may be the potential for them to hit each other.

I would assume that the procedures in high tornado activity areas include monitoring for tornado activity and they adjust their activity timeline accordingly.

Note that just because the tower is 375 ft, doesn't mean that the operator has to climb/descend the entire distance. Tower cranes are either within the structure or tied to the structure at different elevations. The operator may begin or end their climb far above grade level. They then use construction elevators for the trip to/from grade.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 05, 2020 01:58PM
My first thought would be "how long does it take to grab the cable, and jamb the control to lower the cable, and how long does it take for the cable to reach the ground with me safety clipped to it?".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 05, 2020 04:39PM
Window washers were working on a nearby highrise in my downtown Chicago neighborhood a few years ago when a very threatening thunderstorm—the kind that produce derechos—suddenly materialized just to the west. They made the perfectly understandable decision that they'd rather be inside the building looking out at their swing stage, and broke a window to climb into one of the apartments.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 05, 2020 04:51PM
I worked with crane operators many times on my day job before retiring. Those guys were tuned in to the weather, and if it was just a hint of rain, they shut it down.

One instance, we were gutting Buick's World Headquarters, and it was easier to pick baskets of material off the roof, as the electricity was out and the freight elevators were unusable. We were on the roof and hadn't been on the job for 5 minutes when lightning started flickering in the distance. *WHAM* we were shut down for the day.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018