The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Poll Covid-19 how concerned are you?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 07, 2020 10:14AM
Poll
What’s your level of concern?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
74 votes were received.
1. Completely unconcerned. 7

9%
2. Watchful waiting. Keeping informed, but not doing anything special. 40

54%
3. Following developments closely. Giving my emergency preparedness the once over, filling any holes. 16

22%
4. Following closely. Preparing for a possible quarantine. 8

11%
5. Changing my behavior (Things like staying home more, avoiding crowds, wearing a mask). Preparing for extended isolation. 3

4%

I’m going to try to cover the range of reactions.

The latest headlines include CNN reporting that the CDC is recommending older people (60+) with risk factors stay home as much as possible, and Business Insider reports, “... a leaked presentation for US hospitals reveals that they're preparing for millions of hospitalizations as the outbreak unfolds“.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Poll Covid-19 how concerned are you?
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 07, 2020 11:06AM
The sister of my lab assistant was on study abroad from Clemson. The sister was near Milan. Clemson suspended her program, and she flew home Monday (5 days ago). Both live in their parents' house. My lab assistant moved out just before her sister arrived, and is staying with friends for 2 weeks while her sister is "self-quarantined". If my assistant had met her sister on her return, I would have not allowed her in the lab for 2 weeks. Harsh, but I'm over 65 and my lungs are probably my weakest organ. Same with my wife.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 07, 2020 11:22AM
My work has asked anybody flying overseas to take an extra two weeks at home. They didn't say if they'll pay them for that.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2020 11:34AM
It's just the beginning. The US 'head in the sand' answer didn't work at all.

At home, I'm not doing anything special, just making sure our TP and related home items are in normal supply shape.

At work - well, that's different. Need to plan for having staff and students be sent home for 2-4 weeks at a time.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 07, 2020 11:39AM
I only venture out wearing my HazMat suit.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 07, 2020 11:40AM
Was thinking that if there was going to be any need for hunkering down it'd be months away, but the response by the feds has been reckless, and hospitals are still struggling to get test-kits which makes me think that there are several hundreds thousand cases under the radar... and I live in a region known for a massive influx of international visitors.

Not going nuts over this stuff, but stocking up on canned and dry foods.

Posted by: space-time
Date: March 07, 2020 11:46AM
I work for a high tech company where many co-workers travel on frequent basis. Travel is on hold for now.

I also live in an area with a large Asian community. Many kids have parents or grandparents that traveled to China and India for holidays, so there is a small chance the virus is already here.

Many parents commute to NYC, so the chance of spreading or catching the virus on the train is very real.

So I am prepared for an outbreak any time now.

I avoid going to the local Asian market now... ugh, they have good food, good prices.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 07, 2020 12:00PM
Ruralish Wisconsin here. Not overly concerned, if it makes it all the way out here it will be everywhere and no amount of being prepared is going to help.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 07, 2020 12:02PM
i made my own hand sanitizer. i bought two bags of rice at aldi this week instead of one. a 5 lb bag of rice will last me 3 or 4 months.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 12:03PM by graylocks.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 07, 2020 12:05PM
C(-)ris
Ruralish Wisconsin here. Not overly concerned, if it makes it all the way out here it will be everywhere and no amount of being prepared is going to help.

I feel the same way here in sacramento - the first california death was just 10mi from here, but what will preparation do for me? I'm worried about my 85yo mom. If it gets in the nursing home, they're all goners.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 07, 2020 12:12PM
I'm not overly concerned but I've made sure we have the basics and thought through things if we're stuck home for a bit.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 07, 2020 12:15PM
Headed to DLand for 2 days, Friday & Saturday, hope the lines are short.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 07, 2020 12:16PM
That "real time" tracker still shows 14 US deaths, but media reports 2 new deaths in Florida and probably another one I missed, for a total of 17

Also "New York confirms 21 new cases, including some in NYC, raising statewide total to 76" and that real time total did not jump by 21 today.

But total number of cases outside China seems to accelerate
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 07, 2020 12:38PM
jdc
Headed to DLand for 2 days, Friday & Saturday, hope the lines are short.

....so.....D-Day......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 07, 2020 12:52PM
I sent a note to my GP outlining my situation and risk factors.

I haven’t seen him enough for my relationship to be more than what I’d have with a ‘so far, so good’ plumber I’ve used before, but it will be another data point, and I’d probably need a doctors note for corporate, if I take time off. Feeling well enough, a very mild cold and stuffy head. No fever, and the usual steps seem to be kicking it to the curb, as usual.

It’s interesting, the subject of how employers will handle needed employee time off, sick time/pay, etc. is starting show up more and more. I won’t be shocked if talk gets around to at least larger businesses taking some steps to share the burden of quarantine time off.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 07, 2020 01:24PM
I have about two weeks worth of sick and vacation time accrued right now, but if I am not there, we would be short handed, unless they upped the part timers hours. Luckily, most of the part timers are young college age students.
Still, how much good will just taking two weeks off really do? As soon as I go back, I will be potentially exposed again, as it is a high traffic retail situation.
I worry more that my husband might get exposed, as he is older and has some underlying issues. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: March 07, 2020 01:40PM
we banned ALL business travel, and if you travel internationally, no matter where, 14 days work from home. Also if you are indirectly exposed to virus, 14 day WHF policy.

if you have any kind of symptoms (cold, flu, sneeze, cough, fever, etc), just WFH until cleared by a doctor. We take this very seriously and having a liberal WFH policy as well as unlimited paid time off, that really helps.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 07, 2020 01:42PM
Blankity Blank
I sent a note to my GP outlining my situation and risk factors.

I haven’t seen him enough for my relationship to be more than what I’d have with a ‘so far, so good’ plumber I’ve used before, but it will be another data point, and I’d probably need a doctors note for corporate, if I take time off. Feeling well enough, a very mild cold and stuffy head. No fever, and the usual steps seem to be kicking it to the curb, as usual.

It’s interesting, the subject of how employers will handle needed employee time off, sick time/pay, etc. is starting show up more and more. I won’t be shocked if talk gets around to at least larger businesses taking some steps to share the burden of quarantine time off.

I'll be good, assuming that being quarantined counts as a medical illness and is qualifying for short and long term disability. Now the people that use every sick day they get every year and don't bank anything, they are up a creek.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 07, 2020 01:54PM
space-time
we banned ALL business travel

How is this any different than any other exposure to the general public?
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2020 02:07PM
freeradical
space-time

Presumably business travel can be postponed, and it means the local bugs will more likely stay local.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 07, 2020 02:08PM
freeradical
space-time

sealing yourself up in a metal tube with other people for more than an hour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 02:08PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 07, 2020 02:12PM
I start work back in Manhattan Monday.
They've already emailed, wash your hands, this that the other.
I've begun "shoe shaking" hands.

I never subway, but always take the train. That's the only concern.
My fellow LIRRers seem to be dumb enough already when they have a cold. Hopefully, smarter will prevail.

But I'm sure I can count on the diligence of the LIRR cleaning crew to sanitize as they have, once a decade.

As for the HazMat .... I don't look good in yellow.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: March 07, 2020 02:14PM
.....just.....breathe.....

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 07, 2020 02:19PM
To paraphrase Jane on Firefly, "I'll be in my bunkER." (kidding, I haven't even started the excavation yet)

I didn't see any especially bare shelves at Costco two days ago, but there was only half the usual stock of French bread. The parking lot was pretty full. If anything, the lines were shorter than average.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 07, 2020 02:22PM
....will.....has been updated.....

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 07, 2020 02:38PM
Working in a school, there are lots of concerns as we get kids who should never have been sent out of the house every day. Crowded classrooms are breeding grounds for germs with poor ventilation. Employee sick time is limited with many teachers not having any left this year and disability insurance isn't offered.

Then add in the realities of the school calendar - we just started state-required testing last week, or seniors needing to graduate for starting college or military training. The school year just can't be extended as many teachers, staff, and students are already locked into summer plans.

So yes, there is a concern but nothing that can really be done.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 07, 2020 02:45PM
There’s a rule out coronavirus patient in a negative pressure room in the hospital I do clinicals at. I have next week of for spring break though. I’ll be back at the hospital for two months after that. Not really concerned for myself, just my elderly parents. A couple weeks ago I had a patient in the ICU who was in his 50s and died from the flu. This virus will be much worse when it’s all said and done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 02:45PM by p8712.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 07, 2020 05:31PM
Yes, this is a plot to get rid of the boomers and older.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 07, 2020 05:53PM
.....boom......goes the dynamite.......????

Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 07, 2020 06:14PM
Speedy
Yes, this is a plot to get rid of the boomers and older.

OK, Boomer.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Date: March 07, 2020 10:21PM
A view from a very different perspective. A “retail analyst”.

No attribution or source, because my interest is in the sharp shift in ‘what it means to you’, not tsk tsking. Point of fact, it is a perspective that does have to be addressed. Though I can’t help but notice that the only mention of workers in the larger discussion was about potential liability if a worker was to get sick and die as a result of attending a company meeting. big grin smiley

I see there being retail winners and losers as coronavirus spreads. There are supply chain issues that will hurt sectors like electronics and toys most. And there will be consumer demand issues. As shoppers cut back on spend, or they spend on shelf-stable consumables, #apparel and soft goods will have a tough 2020. That won't be good for malls and department stores. Mass merchants like Target, Walmart, Costco, grocers like Kroger and drugstores like Walgreens and CVS should fare well, and should see a burst in online sales. This should also help provide a boost to Postmates and Instacart.
Date: March 07, 2020 11:35PM
.....throw....my hands up......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018