The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would you take a cruise ?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 07, 2020 02:18PM
Poll
Go on a cruise?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
48 votes were received.
Yes 6

13%
No 38

79%
Maybe (explain) 4

8%

There are some very strong deals to be made on cruises currently due to the Corona virus. A co-worker is doing a Carnival three day for $75pp + port fees, and I saw a seven day on NCL the last week of March for $675pp including the taxes and fees plus free wifi and drink package.

The attractive price point is bookended against the risk of being stuck on a floating petri dish if someone gets sick.

So risk vs reward.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would you take a cruise ?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 07, 2020 02:21PM
......can't imagine the guys here.....going....cruising.....in dark alleys......backrooms of clubs....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 07, 2020 02:23PM
You pay for one week and the next 14 days are on them.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 07, 2020 02:35PM
You mean right now or ever?

I know two people who are making this decision. They've already paid.

Posted by: vision63
Date: March 07, 2020 02:37PM
If I already paid for it I would.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 07, 2020 02:38PM
We're going on a Viking ocean cruise to Scandinavia and the Baltic in late April into May for 16 days. Viking sent us notice that we can bail up until 24 hours before the cruise and they'd give us credit for everything we've paid. There are a number of cases up there but I figure that with their medical care and the data that they have on everybody in the Scandinavia countries that they'll be able to put a pretty good cap on it. We'll look at active cases in those countries in the week before our trip. If it's running crazy we won't go. Otherwise off we go!

I bet we were in greater danger on Southwest this last week when we went to San Antonio. While there we walked into the mall where the lady who was released from quarantine and then picked up with a "weak positive" test. She was there on Saturday and we went into the mall on Monday before they shut it down for a "deep cleaning." So far, we're fine.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: March 07, 2020 02:43PM
We’re going on one next month from Mobile down to Mexico (and back, we hope). Got an offer from Carnival yesterday of either a free reschedule to later in the year or $150 in expenses ( drinks, spa services, etc) if we keep the original reservation. We intend to go as scheduled.
Posted by: d4
Date: March 07, 2020 02:57PM
Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. Be wary of open windows. You'll be fine. RIght?
These cruise ships hold 3,000 people. All it takes is one person out of those 3,000 and your itinerary is F'd. On the other hand. I was on a cruise from NYC to Bermuda last summer. I had WAY more fun than I expected. Loved it!

Posted by: Michael
Date: March 07, 2020 03:07PM
d4
Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. Be wary of open windows. You'll be fine. RIght?
These cruise ships hold 3,000 people. All it takes is one person out of those 3,000 and your itinerary is F'd. On the other hand. I was on a cruise from NYC to Bermuda last summer. I had WAY more fun than I expected. Loved it!

The Viking one we'll be on holds 900+. I bet that a third of people will bail, particularly the less healthy. That will leave those of us who are robust to walk around avoiding anybody who coughs!
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2020 03:29PM
We may never go - except on something like a river cruise, smaller boat and we can get off when we want to...
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 07, 2020 03:30PM
Cruise ships have been likened to floating petri dishes.

Paul

Posted by: mstudio
Date: March 07, 2020 03:38PM
I've never gone on one and really never had the desire, so I voted no. If your question was would you go on one now, my answer would have been, Oh, hell no. I don't even like to fly.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 07, 2020 03:53PM
I wouldn't go anyway.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 07, 2020 04:20PM
Never.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: hal
Date: March 07, 2020 04:26PM
mstudio
I've never gone on one and really never had the desire, so I voted no. If your question was would you go on one now, my answer would have been, Oh, hell no. I don't even like to fly.

this is almost exactly what I would have said... it involved, 'no' and 'hell no'. The idea of being trapped on a ship at sea with random people is bad enough, throw in the possibility that I'd be held against my will while in quarantine and it becomes 'hell no!'.

You should be worried about the people on the boat with you while you are on your way to Scandinavia.

Michael
We're going on a Viking ocean cruise to Scandinavia and the Baltic in late April into May for 16 days. Viking sent us notice that we can bail up until 24 hours before the cruise and they'd give us credit for everything we've paid. There are a number of cases up there but I figure that with their medical care and the data that they have on everybody in the Scandinavia countries that they'll be able to put a pretty good cap on it. We'll look at active cases in those countries in the week before our trip. If it's running crazy we won't go. Otherwise off we go!

I bet we were in greater danger on Southwest this last week when we went to San Antonio. While there we walked into the mall where the lady who was released from quarantine and then picked up with a "weak positive" test. She was there on Saturday and we went into the mall on Monday before they shut it down for a "deep cleaning." So far, we're fine.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 07, 2020 04:31PM
I wouldn't go ever. A cruise just doesn't seem like a good time for someone like me. I'd rather go somewhere where there are very few people. Getting away from it all, and all that jazz.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: davester
Date: March 07, 2020 04:38PM
Depends on what you mean by "cruise". I have never had the slightest interest in going on one of those floating hotels with over 1,000 people on board that blasts in and out of tourist trap destinations. The whole concept seems horrifying to me, even without the health risks.

On the other hand we've taken some cruises around various island chains and coastal areas on small sailing and motor vessels (i.e. 10 to 20 passengers) that were fabulous. There are some in-between type cruises that I might like to try too (for example, National Geographic cruises, windjammers, etc.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 04:38PM by davester.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 07, 2020 04:39PM
I'd like to take a cruise up the Mosel river and stop at every vineyard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 07, 2020 04:40PM
....no.....putting coronavirus aside......the # of cases of Legionnaires disease......and the horror stories of things going wrong like.......power going out [ no toilets ]........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 07, 2020 04:45PM
Did an Alaskan Cruise (Princess lines) back in 2015 for my 20th Anniversary; it was wonderful. Not the cruise, per se, but the Alaska part. It was a great cruise for what we could see and where we visited; wife and I likened it to a traveling hotel.

But a cruise for its own sake? Never.

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 07, 2020 04:48PM
freeradical
I'd like to take a cruise up the Mosel river and stop at every vineyard.

I've been along the Mosel.. the entire length is one continuous vineyard, you'd never get down the entire length in a month.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 07, 2020 04:50PM
Never but not because of any 'health issue'.
Cruises just never appealed to me.
old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 07, 2020 05:43PM
Never ever. Nothing to do with disease, either.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 07, 2020 06:14PM
I'm more a fan of independent travel, less a fan of cruises.
But for the right price, I'd go. Trouble is, even for a really good price, just getting to a departure port for the cruise would cost me a six hour drive to the airport (SFO), probably a $200 overnight stay on one end or the other, or both, and getting to the Ship.
I'm not terribly enthused about those ancillary costs given how little interest I have in the first place.

Right now, with the prospect of going on one half full, I'd be interested. I'd bring a can of lysol and my own alcohol wipes and hand sanitzer.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 07, 2020 06:33PM
I see no good reason to take a cruise at this time unless you absolutely have to.

The only cruise that I’ve taken was staffed almost entirely by Filipinos. At every port they would sit somewhere near the docking area and call their friends and family back home. Their jobs took them away from their spouses and children for most of the year. I’m guessing that they worked long hours for little pay. I feel bad for them because they likely aren’t able to support their families with this virus going on. I’m willing to bet that millions and millions of low wage earners across the world will suffer because of the economic effects of this.

Almost all of my problems are 1st world ones.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 06:41PM by Ammo.
Posted by: fauch
Date: March 07, 2020 06:52PM
Not because I'm afraid of Corona, but because I don't want to get stuck on a ship for an indeterminate amount of time and potentially be at the mercy of foreign governments...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 07, 2020 07:16PM
Nope, but I'm trying to figure out if it will be worth it to take a cheap trip to Disney World sometime in the next month or so,

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 07, 2020 09:08PM
I'm another fan of independent travel, and allergic to the glitz of the big cruise ships. I prefer trips like taking the mail boat partway down the coast of Norway, or a felucca down the Nile. Unfortunately, neither is exactly practical right now.
Re: Would you take a cruise
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 08, 2020 10:53AM
It’s not just Coronavirus. Friend of mine went with his daughter on a cruise to Antarctica, which they enjoyed very much. Unfortunately, one of the crew developed measles (!) on the way.

My friends had to show proof of vaccination before they were allowed to leave the ship.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 08, 2020 08:48PM
Not even in normal times. My Meniere's would not play well anyway.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018