advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have a drink! It's PURIM!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 09, 2020 07:00PM
Time to celebrate a holiday when around the fourth century BCE, a threatened people beat the odds in the face of annihilation.

As with the dire threats today, why not celebrate your perseverance with a good drink and a nosh.

The Jewish holiday of Purim began at sundown Monday evening with the reading of Megilat Esther, the story of how the Jewish people were saved from destruction in ancient Persia.

There are four commandments the Jewish people observe on Purim, the reading of the megillah, Matanot L'ebyonim (gifts to the poor), mishloach manot (sending of portions), and a festive meal.

Megillah reading: We read the Megillah twice on Purim, once at night and once during the day, publicizing the great miracle which occurred when the Jewish people were saved from the machinations of the wicked Haman, who sought to wipe them out. Noise is made whenever Haman's name is read in the megillah, symbolically erasing his name from history.

Matanot L'evyonim: On Purim Jews are enjoined to give gifts to the poor and to share the joy of the holiday.

Mishloach Manot: We give two packages of food and wine to friends and family on Purim as a sign of the unity of the Jewish people.

Festive meal: On Purim because the salvation of the people of Israel was a physical salvation, we celebrate the feast and feast. On Purim, a great emphasis is placed on drinking wine, which, as the miracle was performed by a banquet with wine, we also drink wine.

Many Jews also dress up in costumes for Purim in commemoration of the hidden nature of the miracle. G-d's name does not occur once in the megillah, though the divine hand can be seen throughout the story.
Tags:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have a drink! It's PURIM!
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 09, 2020 08:04PM
Not Jewish, but I will cheerfully celebrate with you!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: DavidS
Date: March 09, 2020 08:15PM
One of my favorite Purim memories was doing shots with my Rabbi. The “after party” from the Megillah rearing was at his house, just across the parking lot from our synagogue.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 09, 2020 08:47PM
Yum, hamantaschen.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 09, 2020 09:36PM
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 10, 2020 07:02AM
Wikipedia has a lengthy article on Purim:

[en.wikipedia.org]

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 10, 2020 09:47AM
Not Jewish, but I have a nice connection to Purim. I did a 3-year hitchhiking trip around the world in my early 20s, and ended up living and working on a kibbutz in Israel for 2 months, which coincided with the Purim holiday in 1980.

Interesting historical note: it was also during the moment Israel switched from its Lira fiat to the current shekel. Everyone had a certain period of time to switch their money in the banks.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 10, 2020 12:59PM
Back in The Bronx, the worst way to celebrate Purim: prune hamantaschen. Oiy vey.
After three or four, you were no more meshuggeneh, you were a regular guy.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 10, 2020 01:11PM
richorlin
Back in The Bronx, the worst way to celebrate Purim: prune hamantaschen. Oiy vey.
After three or four, you were no more meshuggeneh, you were a regular guy.

When I was a kid, my Synagogue ordered only prune hamantaschen. Bleeeeech! To this day, I am turned off to any hamantaschen.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 10, 2020 07:42PM
My wife brought me a chocolate hamantaschen made in Brooklyn from her job tonight. Just finished it and I am in heaven!

JoeM
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 10, 2020 10:13PM
I'm a poppy seed, apricot, raspberry, guy. A couple of prune ones mixed in taste good, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020