advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
eBay has really anonymized buyer feedback
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 10, 2020 03:09PM
I'm finally taking advantage of some eBay selling discounts and I'm realizing just how much they've anonymized the feedback process which makes it harder to evaluate buyers.

They used to list the recent item titles under the feedback (i.e. for about 3 months until the listings go bye bye) but now it appears they only do that for sellers. So now if you want to get a sense of what types of items a buyer buys, it seems all you can do it click on the sellers leaving feedback and see what types of items they sell.

For lower priced items, eh, whatever, but when it's a $1k+ item, when I go to ship it, I start to wonder if that's the last time I'll see the item and the money, since we all know eBay is going to side with the buyer in a dispute (and the buyer could ship back a brick). It can be somewhat helpful to check out the "Feedback left for others" to see if they are an unreasonable person.

I did ship off a $1k+ item to a zero feedback buyer recently after a Google search to verify the name and address. Long time eBayer that had a couple of hard to sell items listed. I've said before, I've had less issue with 0 feedback buyers vs 1-10 feedbacks. Here's hoping that holds true...

All this has made me more of fan of selling via BIN/Best Offer for expensive items. Set the BIN price a tad high so that everyone will send offers and then you can evaluate the buyers and decline/accept based on your comfort. I've declined several offers so far that price-wise I would have accepted if the buyer seemed more legit.

I'm starting to wonder if I should put an item description in my feedback for buyers to help other sellers, or if that would be banned. I.e. "Thanks for buying the laptop/camera/lens!" I think it's funny that eBay recommends sellers leave buyers feedback right after they pay. I'm more a fan of leaving feedback after they leave me feedback or at the tail-end of the 60 day feedback window (i.e. when it's hopefully less likely they're going to start a claim).

Some helpful links if you want to check on your own buyer preferences:

Bidder/Buyer Preferences: [offer.ebay.com]
You can actually still block negative feedback buyers! Even though it would be incredibly hard to obtain an overall negative feedback rating now.

Blocked Bidders/Buyers: [offer.ebay.com]
I think it's telling that a bunch of the bidders I've added to this list over the years now show up as "########@deleted"

Exemption List: [offer.ebay.com]
(If for some reason a buyer is blocked but you want to permit them, probably best used in conjunction with the buyer item limit)

Anyway, that's my ramble!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: eBay has really anonymized buyer feedback
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 10, 2020 03:19PM
Gareth
I think it's funny that eBay recommends sellers leave buyers feedback right after they pay. I'm more a fan of leaving feedback after they leave me feedback or at the tail-end of the 60 day feedback window (i.e. when it's hopefully less likely they're going to start a claim).

When did that change? At one point their recommendation was to wait until the transaction was successful for both parties. I always ask buyers to let me know of the item's safe arrival and if there are any problems. Once I get a positive response I reply with a thank you and let them know feedback will be left.

Paul

Date: March 10, 2020 03:28PM
I have no idea when it changed. I just noticed it recently while browsing some help/faq articles.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 10, 2020 03:28PM
It's been that way for years now...

but i still click on this 'Items by buyer' search link that I've held forever. It still allows you to enter a name in the search, but just takes you to their feedback page. An example of dead pages hanging around after 5 rebuilds [www.ebay.com]

I no longer leave feedback for buyers - it serves no purpose except to feed the buyers ego or pad their reputation for selling (which is unearned). But before I quit doing it, I would occasionally leave a note for a future sellers like, 'this (0) promptly paid $1200 for my macbook pro and all is well' or something like that.

I"ll always listen to your ebay rambles if you listen to mine :-)
Date: March 10, 2020 04:15PM
hal
but i still click on this 'Items by buyer' search link that I've held forever. It still allows you to enter a name in the search, but just takes you to their feedback page. An example of dead pages hanging around after 5 rebuilds [www.ebay.com]

Haha, I was looking for that in the Advanced Search the other day. Too bad it doesn't secretly still work.

hal
I"ll always listen to your ebay rambles if you listen to mine :-)

Of course, eBay rambles are the best!
Posted by: hal
Date: March 10, 2020 04:48PM
Gareth
hal

Haha, I was looking for that in the Advanced Search the other day. Too bad it doesn't secretly still work.

It DID for a very long time, but alas... no more...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018