advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When I was a kid, my mom gave me a medicine she called "cocoa quinine." Do y'all know anything about it?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 11, 2020 12:33AM
I was probably less than six. It was a liquid and very bitter. I would stuff my sheets into my mouth and it caused loud ringing in my ears. I didn't have malaria. It may have been for leg pain (growing pain.) She doesn't remember it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When I was a kid, my mom gave me a medicine she called "cocoa quinine." Do y'all know anything about it?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 11, 2020 12:41AM
The interwebs mention Babesiosis
Re: When I was a kid, my mom gave me a medicine she called "cocoa quinine." Do y'all know anything about it?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 11, 2020 12:44AM
Terpin Hydrate and Codeine was commonly used for severe colds or flu, it tasted horrible sortta like if you were given road tar in a liquid form. The terpin was an expectorant that may or may not work - the codeine definitely worked - made it worth getting sick and swallowing the purely awful Terpin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 12:45AM by RgrF.
Date: March 11, 2020 01:45AM
I'm too sleepy to link, but cocoa syrup was used to mask the taste. And it was used unofficially for leg cramps. So the mystery is solved. All my nieces and nephews I've babysat had leg cramps at one time so I guess it's a thing with kids or at least kids in my family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 01:45AM by Dennis S.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 11, 2020 04:08AM
I remember years ago buying an over the counter quinine product for the relief of leg cramps, and it work well.

Around the mid '90s quinine was banned by the FDA for over the counter medications.

I wasn't until some time later I realized quinine medications were basically for preventing (?) and treating malaria and could have side effects if used too liberally for leg cramps.

Still later I found that my leg cramps were easily prevented by keeping hydrated.

I think one can still get their Schwepervesence with a splash of quinine.

I've never had any form of carbonated chocolate drink.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Q-Vel...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 11, 2020 04:11AM
That was the produce marketed back when, for leg cramps.

It was pricey, and water was cheaper.

And soda, too.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 11, 2020 05:08AM
This was around 1955. And the Benadryl I took back then tasted fantastic. I wish I could taste it again.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 11, 2020 07:08AM
RAMd®d
Still later I found that my leg cramps were easily prevented by keeping hydrated.

Same. I've had restless legs since as long as I can remember, even at age 7, and the cure has always been to drink a lot more water than my thirst mechanism calls for. It's the only cure I've found that works fully.

Codeine is one of the best derivatives of opium ever created. I was never drawn to the vibe that opioids gave, but it definitely works.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: msglee
Date: March 11, 2020 07:30AM
RgrF
Terpin Hydrate and Codeine was commonly used for severe colds or flu, it tasted horrible sortta like if you were given road tar in a liquid form. The terpin was an expectorant that may or may not work - the codeine definitely worked - made it worth getting sick and swallowing the purely awful Terpin.

Army gave it out like cough drops, in the 60's.
Posted by: d4
Date: March 11, 2020 07:52AM
Dennis S
I would stuff my sheets into my mouth and it caused loud ringing in my ears.

Wait. I'm trying to understand. This medicine caused loud ringing in your ears? And why would are you stuffing (bed?) sheets in your mouth?

Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: March 11, 2020 10:36AM
When I was a kid, Elixir Terpin Hydrate and Codeine (ETH&C) was one of the best remedies for a bad cough. My dad said they called it GI Gin when he was in the Navy.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 11, 2020 11:12AM
I remember years ago my doctor prescribing quinine for my severe leg cramps and it worked really well. So much that I asked another doctor many years later to give me a prescription for it and him telling me it's no longer available. That info really upset me because it was so effective for treating the leg cramps.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 11, 2020 11:13AM
....CoQ10.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 11, 2020 01:05PM
d4
Dennis S
I would stuff my sheets into my mouth and it caused loud ringing in my ears.

Wait. I'm trying to understand. This medicine caused loud ringing in your ears? And why would are you stuffing (bed?) sheets in your mouth?

I think quinine is/was known for causing ring in the ears. I stuffed the bedsheets in my mouth because I was always in bed when mom came with the medicine and it was extremely bitter, even with the cocoa flavor. Being about five years old, stuffing the sheets in my mouth was all I knew to do.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 11, 2020 02:54PM
Paregoric
barf smiley
Date: March 11, 2020 04:21PM
DeusxMac
Paregoric
barf smiley

Now that rings a bell.
Date: March 11, 2020 04:23PM
How about "Cod liver oil"?
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: March 11, 2020 06:00PM
Tincture of opium paregoric was, I think, a mix of bismuth (like in today's peptobismol and an opium derivative. Very effective for intestinal cramps.

Quinine can have toxicity. A friend was drinking 4 bottles a day of Schwepps and had some hearing problems.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 11, 2020 06:19PM
....belladonna.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018