advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
All Florida colleges go online
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 11, 2020 06:25PM
Florida has announced that all state universities and colleges will go online until at least April 5.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: All Florida colleges go online
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 11, 2020 06:26PM
.....Flo.......Rida.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 06:27PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 11, 2020 06:41PM
Here in the Los Angeles area, the private high school where my wife teaches just went online only and the state university she's taking classes at also went online only.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 11, 2020 08:16PM
Minnesota also.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: Billybob
Date: March 11, 2020 08:31PM
Ombligo
Florida has announced that all state universities and colleges will go online until at least April 5.

Yes, it's crazy. I'm trying to figure out how to teach an eight-week negotiation course entirely online.
I will take a crash course in Zoom tomorrow morning before beginning my classes. confused smiley
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 11, 2020 10:41PM
I'm in my final semester of nursing school in Florida. My school is still open for now - but I have a feeling we'll g all online. My clinical rotation is gonna suck hard.
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 11, 2020 11:31PM
Sons college and friend kids college also going online only.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 11, 2020 11:43PM
My institution is holding in-person classes until Friday, then starting online-only on Monday.

Should be interesting...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 12, 2020 12:30AM
University I work at is also going online for classes after Spring Break which is next week. Initial announcement was until at least April 3rd, and possibly to be extended through the end of the semester five weeks later. Some students with lab courses tat can't be online may be requested to return after Spring Break to be able to complete those.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 12, 2020 08:28AM
Waiting to see if my son's school (he's in middle school, but the school itself is K-12), goes online. they're on spring break next week. When they return, there'll be two months left. He's too young to stay at home by himself, so one of us would have to be home every day. My wife and I could probably swing it, as they're pretty liberal about allowing telework here, but I could see this putting a huge strain on other parents faced with the same situation.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 12, 2020 08:56AM
My nephew is at Virginia Tech, currently on spring break. He just got the word that the break is extended for another week, and all online classes after that. He's pretty pumped about the first part...
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 12, 2020 09:07AM
My kid's private Florida university is on spring break, but everyone expects they'll move everything online as well.

One of the kid's professors went home to Germany and already let his students know he won't be coming back but teaching the remainder of that class online.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 12, 2020 09:42AM
Bill in NC
My kid's private Florida university is on spring break, but everyone expects they'll move everything online as well.

One of the kid's professors went home to Germany and already let his students know he won't be coming back but teaching the remainder of that class online.

Florida Tech, by any chance?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 12, 2020 12:57PM
Will Collier
Bill in NC

Florida Tech, by any chance?

ERAU-Daytona.

The local HBCU has already told their students to extend their Spring Break by a week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 12:58PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 12, 2020 02:49PM
My son's college also got spring break extended a week and then they transition to all online. They have no reported COVID cases their side of the state, yet, though some reports of exposure. School districts mostly open but they are all making contingencies. Online is not an easy answer for K-12, especially for less affluent families, both for access to technology and for parent supervision.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 12, 2020 03:17PM
There are open discussions amongst staff at my school district about how to transition to an online plan. Given that we are a Title 1 school district it will be difficult. Upwards of 20% of our students do not have online access at home. Add in that many students are less than motivated to become independently driven learners, and it will not be easy.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018