advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac rant - Mail needs a reset
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 11, 2020 06:54PM
I was wresting with it AGAIN today. I have used Mail as my email client ever since Eudora was lost.

None of these issues are new alone. But the realization on how bad they've become was in my face earlier today.

1) Slow? Check.
2) Interface randomly changes? Check
3) No logic to when windows change size and shape? Check
4) WHO TOOK AWAY THE SCROLL BAR SHOULD BE SHOT.

5) Better than Outlook for connecting to gmail accounts? Check.

1-4 are the definition of bloatware. 5 is why I stay.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac rant - Mail needs a reset
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 11, 2020 07:12PM
I still use it.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 11, 2020 07:17PM
1 - What do people mean when they say that Mail is 'slow'. Slow to do what?

2 - mine doesn't

3- not sure what you mean. I keep one Mail window open and it's size and shape never changes

4- I have scroll bars

from the internet: "Click the Apple menu at the top-left of the screen, then select System Preferences.
Next, select the General preferences pane; it’s the very first one, up at the top.
Under the “Show scroll bars” heading, you’ll find three options: “Automatically based on input device,” “When scrolling,” and “Always.”
Go ahead and select that last “Always” option. You’re done!"

what OS are you running and is the version of mail the one that was installed with that OS?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 11, 2020 07:45PM
Try postbox?

I hated it, but others love it...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 11, 2020 07:49PM
hal

2 - mine doesn't

3- not sure what you mean. I keep one Mail window open and it's size and shape never changes

4- I have scroll bars

from the internet: "Click the Apple menu at the top-left of the screen, then select System Preferences.
Next, select the General preferences pane; it’s the very first one, up at the top.
Under the “Show scroll bars” heading, you’ll find three options: “Automatically based on input device,” “When scrolling,” and “Always.”

what OS are you running and is the version of mail the one that was installed with that OS?

1) Slow - reloading can result in a real pause. It's independent of internet connectivity. Mail has gone through cycles where it's better or worse; 10.8 fixed ALOT of similar issues, for example.

2) I regularly see Mail switch order of priority for what messages are shown (oldest vs newest). This is not anything I can predict, but when it happens, it's ridiculous.

3) I use a laptop, I plug into external monitors, and then I use the laptop solo. These external monitors ARE THE SAME each time. But the resulting default window sizing changes. Try it - this has been true for awhile.

4) BLESS YOU! When Apple removed scroll bars the first time, they did not add an easy button to add back. I should have just looked it up.

5) I am running the Last Great Mac OS That Still Runs 32bit programs - Mojave 10.14.6.

Finally, I forgot to add the issue of 'search' - that function is CLEARLY compromised, and has been so for several versions.
Date: March 11, 2020 08:30PM
on point 3 - you might try Display Maid - it's a $5 app. It has bugs of its own, but you can run the 30 day trial.
Date: March 11, 2020 10:52PM
hal
on point 3 - you might try Display Maid - it's a $5 app. It has bugs of its own, but you can run the 30 day trial.

Thanks, will try.

But Apple Mail is the main culprit that doesn't seem to play well.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 12, 2020 12:02AM
Wish I could give you advice, mine (Sierra) works near flawlessly.

I have at least 50 rules, 30 or so folders (with thousands of emails in each), smart mailboxes, etc. Im guessing there are over 70,000 emails (if you count the 20000 in my sent folder) its managing.

Switching between inbox, folders, sent, etc is near instant. New message is instant. Reply is instant.

I cant really a comment on the rest. No gmail acounts, no laptop, and like hal my window is the same shape/size every time I sit down to my desk...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 12, 2020 06:39AM
jdc, I want to live in your world...
Posted by: tortoise
Date: March 12, 2020 07:51AM
sekker
hal

2 - mine doesn't

4- I have scroll bars

1) Slow - reloading can result in a real pause. It's independent of internet connectivity. Mail has gone through cycles where it's better or worse; 10.8 fixed ALOT of similar issues, for example.

2) I regularly see Mail switch order of priority for what messages are shown (oldest vs newest). This is not anything I can predict, but when it happens, it's ridiculous.

3) I use a laptop, I plug into external monitors, and then I use the laptop solo. These external monitors ARE THE SAME each time. But the resulting default window sizing changes. Try it - this has been true for awhile.

4) BLESS YOU! When Apple removed scroll bars the first time, they did not add an easy button to add back. I should have just looked it up.

5) I am running the Last Great Mac OS That Still Runs 32bit programs - Mojave 10.14.6.

Finally, I forgot to add the issue of 'search' - that function is CLEARLY compromised, and has been so for several versions.

Good Morning seeker
Many issues listed not exactly related to my experience but perhaps my experience will give you cause to step back and take a fresh look. I am trapped back in El Capitan due to hardware limitations of my obsolete MacPro (early 2008) and a few years ago changed to Apple Mail after Outlook got hopelessly mangled and since I had retired and no longer really needed all the features of Outlook I took the plunge and converted to Apple Mail IMAP and really enjoyed how well it worked with all my devices. The GUI sucks then and now but I have managed to get used to the monochromatic grey and after cataract surgery can even use it without glasses. So about three months ago mail starts crashing for no obvious reason, very infrequently and always restarts with no problem. As time went on it got worse and crashed multiple times a day to the point of being annoying so I figured call Apple support for help and I did and they led me down the garden path eventually to a reinstall of El Capitan over the top and when that did not help they had me erase the HD and then restore from Time Machine backup all of which accomplished nothing for mail, the problem still persisted. I figured it was good for my system anyway but now with a clean system I took a fresh look at things and realized that I have been using a third party SPAM filter called SpamSieve that has been reliable and trouble free for over 15 years and conducted a little experiment and turned it off and unlinked it from mail so that mail was running all on its own with nothing else and guess what? Mail is now stable again and has not crashed for a while so I think the problem is resolved and a lesson learned. Obviously a lot of folks are using Mail with older systems and newer systems with total success and reliability so I would suggest you look carefully at your setup and consider if you have some third party app interacting with Mail that could be the cause. I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting this before finding the simple solution of turning off SpamSieve but I don't mind as my system needed some maintenance anyway and I learned something in the process. I still miss the GUI of Outlook and the monochromatic grey of Mail still sucks but overall the application does work quite well when it is healthy and not being influenced by third party apps.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 12, 2020 08:54AM
sekker.

Have you ever tried a Safe Boot? Have you tried Disk Utility/Repair Disk?

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Date: March 12, 2020 10:00AM
modelamac
sekker.

Have you ever tried a Safe Boot? Have you tried Disk Utility/Repair Disk?

Even better - this happens on a second laptop for work, built as a fresh install then just loading internet accounts.

The speed issue is partly to blame on the older exchange server my work was using (updating to office 365 is quite a bit faster in Mail, even though the same M$ accounts were not slow on older or newer versions of Outlook). It's not as bad now with the O365 backend.

The interface 'bounces' are definitely built into the current software. I've been using Mail in laptop/docked configurations since a Powerbook Lombard. The latest version is as buggy as I've ever experienced. Have downloaded Display Maid to try.

Finally, I dare you to do a test of the search feature - I am confident Apple does not properly catalog email messages right now. That issue is noted by my work colleagues.
Date: March 12, 2020 01:33PM
No, I'm with you on the search in Mail (I running 10.14.6 as well) - the search is crappy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018