Date: March 12, 2020 12:16PM
ztirffritz
?

they hoard

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Those Mormons are looking pretty smart now
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 12, 2020 12:26PM
Well, they prepare--I think they're supposed to have 1-2 years of dried/stored food available.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2020 12:29PM
....but don't smurfs do the same.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2020 12:35PM
....so anyone featured on the show 'Hoarders'.......was right all along......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 12, 2020 12:48PM
NewtonMP2100
....so anyone featured on the show 'Hoarders'.......was right all along......???

FTW!
Posted by: h linamen
Date: March 12, 2020 12:55PM
Yeah, check some of the expiration dates on their stored food.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 12, 2020 12:56PM
H,

Food shmood. Answer the door and they'll give you a free book. smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Robert
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 12, 2020 01:01PM
h linamen

The LDS encourages PROPER food storage and rotation of stock. New bought goes in back, old gets used off the front... Don't buy anything you don't use regularly, and keep stocks fresh.
It's one of the things (well, maybe the only one...) that I admire about the Mormons: they have their sh... uh, stuff together when it comes to preparedness.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 12, 2020 01:17PM
Maybe I'm Mormon...

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 12, 2020 02:27PM
ztirffritz
Maybe I'm Mormon...

Do you have the magic underwear?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 12, 2020 03:00PM
DeusxMac
ztirffritz
Maybe I'm Mormon...

I'm gonna push back a little here on behalf of my Mormon friends, who can take a joke but don't particularly like being mocked for their religious practices.

We don't point and mock people because of their visible religious garments (kippahs, hijabs, robes), and I'm not okay with poking fun at concealed ones either.

If you're LDS, and I'm missing an inside joke here, please call me in. Otherwise, perhaps we could leave the religious minorities and their chosen clothing alone.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 12, 2020 03:15PM
Yes we do. I'm from the George Carlin School of Religious Idiocy. We're equal opportunity de-bunkers.
Date: March 12, 2020 03:22PM
RgrF
Yes we do. I'm from the George Carlin School of Religious Idiocy. We're equal opportunity de-bunkers.

If you ask me, one-off potshots at religious communities don't qualify as smart (read: Carlinesque) critiques of theism. If you were granted a degree from that school, RgrF, you got scammed.

Making fun of people's faith without context or rationale isn't "de-bunking" - it's just mean-spirited and ugly.

rj
AKA
Date: March 12, 2020 03:24PM
rjmacs
DeusxMac
ztirffritz
Maybe I'm Mormon...

I'm gonna push back a little here on behalf of my Mormon friends, who can take a joke but don't particularly like being mocked for their religious practices.

We don't point and mock people because of their visible religious garments (kippahs, hijabs, robes), and I'm not okay with poking fun at concealed ones either.

If you're LDS, and I'm missing an inside joke here, please call me in. Otherwise, perhaps we could leave the religious minorities and their chosen clothing alone.

I’m OK with moving this to the other side if you’d prefer.
Date: March 12, 2020 03:37PM
It's not in the least political. It's just not totally copacetic.

Edit: also, my side topic is played out. I've said what I need to say about this.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 03:39PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 12, 2020 04:32PM
Paul F.
h linamen

The LDS encourages PROPER food storage and rotation of stock. New bought goes in back, old gets used off the front... Don't buy anything you don't use regularly, and keep stocks fresh.
It's one of the things (well, maybe the only one...) that I admire about the Mormons: they have their sh... uh, stuff together when it comes to preparedness.

I have lived amongst this population most of my life. They encourage food stores and usage in the way Paul describes. The people who adhere to the practice assume that in the case of an emergency, one's family can survive until services are restored. It always made sense to me because the Salt Lake metro area is in earthquake country. We are 6-7 hours from the next large metro area. Should there be any kind of natural disaster, SLC people would be on their own for a while.

As far as the garments previously mentioned, here are some short videos with explanation that helps further understanding of the issue.
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 12, 2020 07:53PM
Thank you Danny,

Education is the best answer to ignorance.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 12, 2020 08:14PM
Maybe I'm Mormon...

You might be Mormon if...

Ok, I'm done.

Making fun of people's faith without context or rationale isn't "de-bunking" - it's just mean-spirited and ugly.

I don't need to have any religious ties or beliefs (which I don't) to agree completely with this.

I'm not interested in de-bunking and even less so with being mean-spirited. Such behavior almost always says more about the individual or group, than the targets or victims.

It's just people channeling their biases, prejudice, and fear while forsaking reason for meanness, because it's easy.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 12, 2020 10:47PM
RAMd®d
...forsaking reason...

Hardly!
Reason is the capacity of consciously making sense of things, applying logic, and adapting or justifying practices, institutions, and beliefs based on new or existing information.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 12, 2020 11:07PM
DeusxMac
RAMd®d
...forsaking reason...

Hardly!
Reason is the capacity of consciously making sense of things, applying logic, and adapting or justifying practices, institutions, and beliefs based on new or existing information.

Why do you insist on continuing to thread poop here? This thread was meant to simply be an observation about something pragmatic that Mormons do that just might be useful for others to emulate when it comes to disaster preparedness. Please cut it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 11:07PM by freeradical.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 13, 2020 02:22AM
Paul F.
h linamen

I wanted a bunch of plastic lids for #10 cans to store garage stuff in after I make big batches of Marinara sauce or chilli. Anyway, cheapest place I found was the online store run by the LDS church. They had an amazing array of storage stuff.

The key with lots of dried goods is to purge the air (oxygen) from the bulk container. Usually a chunk of dry ice. As the CO2 settles, it displaces and pushes out the regular atmosphere. When the CO2 stops sublimating because the "ice" is gone, quickly seal. Gamma seals for 5 gallon buckets are pretty awesome. Rice and beans last pretty long this way. You could do flour too in a similar way I bet. Not going to go into my scheme here.

I'm not a "prepper" but I know a few. Interesting strategies and creative "hacks" for lots of stuff. Really fascinating. Moonshine makes a great disinfectant FWIW. Glad I still have mom's Presto canning pressure cooker which can be converted into a still.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 13, 2020 08:25AM
The key with lots of dried goods is to purge the air (oxygen) from the bulk container...

Is that why chips, pretzels, etc. bags are pumped full of nitrogen @ the factory?

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 13, 2020 06:14PM
Racer X
Paul F.
h linamen

I wanted a bunch of plastic lids for #10 cans to store garage stuff in after I make big batches of Marinara sauce or chilli. Anyway, cheapest place I found was the online store run by the LDS church. They had an amazing array of storage stuff.

The key with lots of dried goods is to purge the air (oxygen) from the bulk container. Usually a chunk of dry ice. As the CO2 settles, it displaces and pushes out the regular atmosphere. When the CO2 stops sublimating because the "ice" is gone, quickly seal. Gamma seals for 5 gallon buckets are pretty awesome. Rice and beans last pretty long this way. You could do flour too in a similar way I bet. Not going to go into my scheme here.

I'm not a "prepper" but I know a few. Interesting strategies and creative "hacks" for lots of stuff. Really fascinating. Moonshine makes a great disinfectant FWIW. Glad I still have mom's Presto canning pressure cooker which can be converted into a still.

No, no, no...CO2 or nitrogen purging went out in the 1980s...it doesn't work well enough.

Commercial long-term storage companies use oxygen absorbers, but you can also get them via the LDS canneries, IIRC.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 13, 2020 08:10PM
No, no, no...CO2 or nitrogen purging went out in the 1980s...it doesn't work well enough.

Chip producers still use nitrogen because it works, it's cheap, and they've yet
to find a better way.
NPR

DuckDuckGo

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 16, 2020 06:45PM
MrNoBody

Chip producers still use nitrogen because it works, it's cheap, and they've yet
to find a better way.
NPR

DuckDuckGo

Chips are packaged to have a shelf life of mere months.

Nitrogen/CO2 purging isn't good enough for a product that is designed to last 20+ years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2020 06:45PM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018