advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Civilization is grinding to a halt before our very eyes.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 13, 2020 06:03PM
Discuss amongst yourselves.

It is what it is.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Civilization is grinding to a halt before our very eyes.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 13, 2020 06:05PM
....bump and grind [ nothing wrong....with a little 'bump and grind' ]......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2020 06:06PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 13, 2020 06:09PM
Not sure I can keep my house for too long with no income. Seattle is shut down for the most part.
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 13, 2020 06:22PM
The unnerving part is that this coul go on for a couple of months.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 13, 2020 06:24PM
Pam
The unnerving part is that this coul go on for a couple of months.

With luck...smiley-signs003

It could go on much longer.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 13, 2020 06:25PM
There will be some temporary restrictions and then life will begin returning to normal.

The largest problem I face right now is uncertainty. Its very confusing right now because I'm getting messages from the Governor, the local health department, my daughters high school and my other daughters college and they don't all agree with each other or with what's happening in other states.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2020 06:26PM by davemchine.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 13, 2020 06:29PM
Racer X
Not sure I can keep my house for too long with no income. Seattle is shut down for the most part.

Banks were bailed out last time, it's now their turn to reciprocate, any bets they will without a government prod?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 13, 2020 06:41PM
It is all very concerning. My understanding is that this all will take some time to resolve, but things will eventually settle down. Here’s a link to an article that looks ahead for how things may unfold:

[www.startribune.com]

Racer, I will be thinking about you.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 13, 2020 06:43PM
Testing needs to ramp up a lot to even figure out where we are and then measure progress to see if things are getting worse or better. Right now we're totally blind.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 13, 2020 07:19PM
RgrF
Racer X

Banks were bailed out last time, it's now their turn to reciprocate, any bets they will without a government prod?

smiley-laughing001

Great joke!! Have you thought about going pro on the comedy circuit?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 13, 2020 08:19PM
.....you mean like in 'Lord of the Flies'........???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 13, 2020 08:30PM
The hope is to avoid replicating Italy.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 13, 2020 09:40PM
[twitter.com]

This explanation of how the Brits are trying to build "herd immunity" makes a thousand times more sense than trying to prevent infection in everyone for 6 weeks, only to lift restrictions and have things come roaring back to life.

The only thing that really stops most viral infections is herd immunity...unless we're banking on someone developing an immunization in the next 6 weeks. That seems like an extremely unlikely outcome.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 13, 2020 09:59PM
Markintosh
This explanation of how the Brits are trying to build "herd immunity" makes a thousand times more sense than trying to prevent infection in everyone for 6 weeks, only to lift restrictions and have things come roaring back to life.

I rolled my eyes at the following -

1) Allowing the 'low risk' to get infected - how do you keep it to the low risk?

2) Being able to limit the spread of the virus as hospitals fill up.

I think its a strategy that suffers from an illusion of control.

I agree that coming out of a severe quarantine will be a risky time but I don't see how the two competing systems differ.

We still have a lot to learn, particularly in regard to returning to normal.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 13, 2020 10:08PM
Markintosh
[twitter.com]

The only thing that really stops most viral infections is herd immunity...unless we're banking on someone developing an immunization in the next 6 weeks. That seems like an extremely unlikely outcome.

don't quite under the reasoning here.

1. I've seen a few articles saying they are not clear if in the case of Covid-19 having it once means you develop an immunity to getting it again.

2. If herd immunity is a thing most healthy people would recover but doesn't it run the risk of decimating the elderly and immunocompromised population?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 14, 2020 05:35AM
If herd immunity is a thing most healthy people would recover but doesn't it run the risk of decimating the elderly and immunocompromised population?

It sounds like herd immunity is code for culling the herd.

As many Forumites are fond of saying — 'Daarrrrrwwwin!"

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 14, 2020 06:02AM
Markintosh
[twitter.com]

My first thought is:
Go for it. Let the Brits run with that with their populace and let us know how it works out.

My second though is:
That's ridiculous, this thing is running faster than Prince what's his name is running from the Epstein thing.

My final thought is:
Why don't people just shut up and allow medical professionals room to do what they can and fund scientists and scientific research to help those people do what needs to be done.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 14, 2020 09:57AM
Markintosh
[twitter.com]

This is another example of false and potentially harmful rumors on social media. The person who authored that thread is a psychologist with no inside information on how the UK is approaching the pandemic. And as already noted his info about herd immunity is scientifically incorrect.

The UK is in the same boat as the US in that they lack testing capacity and are rationing who gets tested.. That's not a strategy it's a tragic lack of planning.

Currently they are cancelling large events and doing mitigation strategies similar to the US. An infected baby has been born in the UK to an infected mother so that's new...they aren't sure if the infection happened before or after the birth or what the impact will be for the infant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2020 10:16AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 14, 2020 02:26PM
Racer X

Check with your mortgage holder. They might be able to give you an extension.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018