advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
This forum is by structure self-contained - is anyone here just going about any normal routine?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 15, 2020 11:26PM
I'm old (some might say very old) and derive a small inconsequential income from being on line, it's not an essential but the habit of doing something isn't a habit I can easily discard.

I'm continuing my daily work routine, are you able or even wanting to do the same?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2020 11:37PM by RgrF.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This forum is by structure self-contained - is anyone here just going about any normal routine?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 16, 2020 12:12AM
Work from home... so no problem.

But my clients might be another issue. Some work via email/phone, some dont, but could easily shift to a virtual workflow.

But their clients, where they get their work from, which is technically where I get my work from -- are out in the public all the time... although they only meet usually in really small groups. So could be an issue in a trickle-down way.... or not.

Im thinking by the end of this week we should know how things are gonna play out...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: This forum is by structure self-contained - is anyone here just going about any normal routine?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 16, 2020 12:25AM
Oh God no. I'll be calling my various banks/credit cards and my mortgage holder letting them know I am hurting and how can they help me. A number have been proactive and sent out e-mail blasts asking their customers if they need help, to please contact them.

I have another target pistol inbound, but it's paid for, so at least I can build it up while I have down time for the foreseeable future.

Target pistols make dandy squirrel harvesters too. If it goes that way.

edit

Just got a message through the Discover app on my phone asking if I need help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2020 01:03AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 16, 2020 01:53AM
I'm on bed-rest after surgery, so I'm mostly just laying in bed in awe watching the world collapse around me.

From my perspective, there were just a bunch of stupid runs on toilet paper when I went in. The country really didn't start to come together into any sort of action until late in the week when I was in the hospital in a bit of a drug/pain-haze.

Turned out that I was extremely lucky, timing-wise. They canceled all elective surgeries. I squeezed in under the gun. They had put up thick white curtains over doorways and shut down a wing of the hospital for COVID-19 cases and were screening all visitors when I left.

When I got out, everything had changed. Like "28 Days Later." Empty roads, empty parking lots, stores closed.

I stocked up before the surgery because I knew that my mobility would be limited, so I'm set for awhile.

Supposed to go back to work next week and wondering whether I'll have a job. The boss just shut down the offices to outside visitors and that's half our business gone. My job involves client-visits and most of their offices are closed with employees teleworking.

...Maybe I should be calling my own CC companies and asking for extensions.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 16, 2020 02:18AM
I was in the hospital in a bit of a drug/pain-haze.

Bit of luck (or really good drugs) you may be able to continue that haze; beats the reality I'm seeing around me.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 16, 2020 02:58AM
Wish they would allow me effective pain meds. Renewing my passport so I can get them OTC in Canada.
Date: March 16, 2020 03:02AM
Racer X
Wish they would allow me effective pain meds. Renewing my passport so I can get them OTC in Canada.

The stuff in the hospital was effective.

The stuff they prescribed for home barely takes the edge off. Mostly just makes me tired.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 16, 2020 04:16AM
Retired, just doing normal stuff 'round the house. I've always had the habit of
going to the store very early on a weekday, so no "crowd contact" is not new for me.
Been busy lately updating a cMP Dually and the power back-ups. Lots of stuff
coming in from ebay & bezosville.
And then, there's always a bit of laundry to do thumbsup smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 16, 2020 04:53AM
Business as usual for me.

I do need to hit Safeway and Costco for the usual provisions, and I'm not looking forward to lines and empty isles.

So I'm hoping that's not the case.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 16, 2020 06:59AM
Nearly cut off from society - working only from home, not going near people, unless it’s out for a walk in the woods with good separation from a friend or two, not touching anything and wearing winter gloves and a buff (covering my face) anyway.

However.... my other half is a nurse in the ER! If he ends up sick, I have a plan to split up the house. Ugh I hope not.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 16, 2020 07:06AM
Retired Full Time RVer here. Multiple RV events have been cancelled so, I’m currently in TN with a small group of RV buddies. Had dinner at an Outback last night; NO issues / problems. RVers generally avoid BIG metropolitan areas. My big concern was the red eye flight I had to take from LAX to MIA on 3/1 (after a 16 day Panama Canal Cruise than sailed on 2/14). Rural areas & stores have MUCH less problems with panic buying and hoarding (not withstanding the two “entrepreneurs” who “cornered the market on hand sanitizers here in TN).
Posted by: DP
Date: March 16, 2020 09:04AM
I'm trying to but it keeps getting screwed up. I am one who thinks common sense has been overcome by panic.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 16, 2020 09:11AM
I run a testing lab that I can't set up in my garage, so regular working days for me. A few more shopping trips planned; hope I get there before the hoarders descend on a newly arrived shipment. I'll be OK unless EPA suspends drinking water and waste water regulations, in which case all cities and towns and contractors will suspend all testing just to save money, and I may or may not be able to stay in business.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 16, 2020 10:38AM
I went in to work yesterday at the orange big box home improvement store .
We had a HUGE number of people in they store yesterday and Saturday.
People around here do not seem to be taking it very seriously at all.
I can’t believe that paint is an essential item right now.
Some said they were getting stuff to do projects if they had to stay at home
I wonder what it will be like today.
How is it ok for us to easily have more than 250 people in the store if gatherings over 250 are banned?
People were bringing their kids and dogs into the store.
There is no telling how many people we are exposed to every day, and them to us.
I am not sure how you can tamp this down with all the stores still open for business as usual.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 16, 2020 10:52AM
Up until Sunday, I had been continuing my work as a ski bum. I ski with the same two buddies every day, wearing gloves, goggles and face covering. We pretty much never go in the lodge for food or beverages.

Skiing is was a good healthy activity for all of us. It kept us active, reduced stress and kept us from doing other more risky things like shopping at Costco.

Unfortunately, every resort in Tahoe shut down starting Sunday. The major powder dump over the weekend brought in hordes of visitors from out of the area, packing the lodges and creating panic buying in the local stores. There were genuine fears that the hospital would be overwhelmed just by ski injuries, leaving little space for potential COVID cases. I understand the need for resorts to call off the rest of the season.

So now it's just movies, snow removal and puzzles...too much snow for dog walking or bike riding.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 16, 2020 01:50PM
Mostly staying at home because we are retired, but occasionally going out to help with those in need. My church is still holding services (about half of the usual attendance), but also has a Facebook option for those who prefer to stay home. Thank god for the Internet (for news and information) and streaming (entertainment)!

I salute and admire those who can’t isolate because they need to go in for work!

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 16, 2020 02:27PM
I’m grateful I am now staying home to work - and I have already been thanking my lucky stars that we have internet, AND the weather has been fairly pleasant. Between those two things, I can definitely stay sane without going anywhere but into my own woods.
Date: March 16, 2020 03:59PM
Pharmacies have no stock of ANYTHING here other than candy. Went to a bunch of them looking for post-op supplies. Local medical supply place is closed. Ended up at a hospital outpatient pharmacy where they only had half the stuff I needed. After ages on the phone, have located the stuff I need at two other hospitals, each about a half hour's ride from me in opposite directions.

Road-trip tomorrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020