You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wirecutter: How to Handle Packages During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 17, 2020 10:22PM
Thanks Wirecutter!

How to Handle Packages During the Coronavirus Pandemic
[thewirecutter.com]

topics covered:
*How long does the coronavirus live on packages?
*Should you disinfect your packages?
*What are delivery services doing to keep your packages safe?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wirecutter: How to Handle Packages During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Posted by: datbeme
Date: March 17, 2020 11:40PM
I don't know that I learned anything from the article. Now I'm even afraid to break down and recycle the boxes.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 18, 2020 12:31AM
Thanks for posting. Good reminder.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 18, 2020 01:47AM
Useless article.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 18, 2020 07:51AM
Useful as a reminder to be vigilant, but also anxiety-provoking in that there is no clear advice given regarding how to deal with packages.

The major relevant issue is whether the items contained in the shipment are themselves potentially contaminated, and how to protect from that possibility.

Here is my proposal, based on my experience with sterile technique in the lab:

Open the box outside, on your doorstep. Remove all items and place them in a clean carton you have brought out for that purpose. Once you start the transfer, so not touch the outside of the clean carton. Discard the outer box to trash/recycling/whatever. Now treat your hands as though they are "dirty" and retire to the house to wash them, avoiding contact with doorknobs etc. With clean hands, retrieve the clean carton containing the items, bring it in the house and place it somewhere out of the way but accessible. Let the clean carton sit for a couple of days so that any potential viruses on the surfaces of the items inside can degrade. If you still have concerns, then the outsides of the items can be washed with soap and water or 60% alcohol, as appropriate.

Yes, this sounds totally obsessive-compulsive, but I believe it is procedurally sound. It is probably more rigorous than necessary, but it may give you peace of mind
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: March 18, 2020 07:55AM
"The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel," according to the NIH.

Fox News

Fred
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 18, 2020 08:49AM
Not worried...it takes large viral load to actually become infected...you get that from the person next to you, not from the few particles that manage to survive on the outside of a package.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 18, 2020 11:02AM
Not to freak everyone out more, but what about the postal mail? I've seen my letter carrier using gloves to deliver the mail, and if you think about it, that could potentially be much worse than anything else... that being said, you can't worry about absolutely everything, and one would think that the likelihood of getting it from a mail piece or a package would be vanishingly low...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 18, 2020 03:19PM
How about quarantining your mail or delivered packages until they are safe to handle?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 18, 2020 03:32PM
Ammo
How about quarantining your mail or delivered packages until they are safe to handle?

That works. Especially for my bills that I really don't want to pay. grinning smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 18, 2020 05:00PM
Ammo

Could you stick it in the microwave and nuke it? startrek 16
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 18, 2020 05:49PM
Might break out the steam cleaner and steam everything before bringing it into the house.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018