advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Adventures in shopping...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 18, 2020 05:16PM
So I went to Safeway this morning at 0600 only to find they have new hours 0700-2100, to enable restocking.

I picked up a few things, but again - no whole milk, in any size.

There was a pretender - a half gallon of lactose-less milk, so I got it. I hope it tastes the same as regular whole milk.

I had been checking out with Apple Cash as using it with my Club card got a discount and didn't need a phone number. But Safeway must have updated their software, or somebody did, but that doesn't work anymore.

Then on to Costco.

This time Russian Breadline Protocol was in force.

There was a line of shopping carts funneling everyone in to a long queue course, and a guy with a bullhorn filling everyone in on the procedure.

A group were let in, then the line was stopped. Then more, then stopped.

Most items of every kind were one to a customer. They were out of several things and Bullhorn Guy kept telling people this, and seconds later people would ask if they had one of several of the previously mentioned items. Made me laugh.

They did have toilet paper and paper towels, again strictly rationed, with a long line in the store to them, and employees doling them out. Reminded me of the service, with people handing your uniforms, shoes, etc.

Seriously – 'Keep moving, keep moving DON'T STOP' and you indicated your choice and Toilet paper, qty 1, got tossed in your card.

I got 99% of what I wanted, including a slice of pepperoni pizza to settle my nerves.

I appreciated Costco controlling quantities, and it was pretty orderly. But it's going to get bad. Really bad.

On the upside, there was three cars at the gas station, and 87 was $2.79! It's been some time since I got fuel that cheap. In the time it took me to go from one-quarter tank to topping off twice, there were no other cars entering the pumps. Everybody was queuing up.

Now it's time for a nap.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Adventures in shopping...
Posted by: DP
Date: March 18, 2020 05:22PM
$2.79

Egad! I paid $1.89.9 at Costco a couple of days ago. I read today that it may go down to a dollar a gallon before all is said and done...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 18, 2020 05:26PM
We went to Costco on Sunday on our way back to Atlanta from Birmingham. It looked like a normal weekday with lots of space in the parking lot. They had everything we were looking for (we didn't look for TP). The checker said that last Thursday it was a madhouse. And I was told on Monday that they had set up the queue area. So, I'll stay away for a while.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 18, 2020 05:32PM
I stopped by Costco on Monday but didn't go in when I saw the length of the line. I did stand by the front of the line and talk to one of the workers just to understand the new procedures.

He told me that they wait for the lines at the check-out registers to let up, and then they let in 300 people, and repeat the process.

I'm guessing that it's to try to maintain separation between customers especially in the check-out lines. Maybe they even clean the check-outs when the next batch of customers enter the store.

And there was a guy with a sign walking the waiting line showing the items that they were sold out of.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 18, 2020 05:40PM
RAMd®d

I appreciated Costco controlling quantities, and it was pretty orderly. But it's going to get bad. Really bad.

There will be a few more psychological barriers but it is entirely possible for any store at any time to lose containment on order and civility. Keep your eyes and ears open to be safe. It's no longer regular shopping. People are on edge.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 18, 2020 05:43PM
I've got my 2 yearly Costco rebate certificates and what I need I can order online for shipment. However, I must use them in the warehouse. Idiots.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 18, 2020 05:58PM
Wife is out and about now, 2 PM PST -- visiting Target and Safeway in Roseville CA. Which I think is a bad place, because fewer markets and lots of peeps. many coming down from Foothills, where markets are 1-2 per town.

Will report back... she already said Target was mostly picked over, no meat, no cheese, no sour cream, no eggs.

We are good on staples. The average amount of supplies for us -- near 20 rolls of TP, and 500 flushable wipes, and a dozen paper towels., hundreds of baby wipes too. Lots of detergent, dishwasher, hand soap. Just no meat.

Had in & out last night. yummy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 18, 2020 06:27PM
At some point people will stop buying toilet paper, there is only so much they need.

This is going to go on for at least a month, likely longer. The panic will subside eventually.

We just spoke to my wife's family overseas. The country has completely shut its borders, nothing in or out. Private cars may travel in town but not between cities, but only one person is allowed in them. Most people get around by taxi, but those are all shut down. So people walk where they can. Stores limit access to 20 minutes and no one over 60 or under 15 is allowed in the store. Most staples are gone. All government workers are furloughed without pay, which would include five of the six adults in the house. Her brother's family was visiting when the curfew was announced and now can't leave. There are now 11 people in the house with no money left. So I wired some down and her brother will go get it (he has the only car), then buy what he can find.

So it could be worse.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 18, 2020 06:49PM
Ombligo
We just spoke to my wife's family overseas.

where?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 18, 2020 07:15PM
I just wish our full sized stand-up freezer hadn't taken the great dump-nap recently. Lots of great prices on frozen stuff lately. I really miss that freezer.

We still have our fridge/freezers in our upstairs and downstairs kitchens.

I still need a big bag of rice. We both love rice, and eat it regularly, so we just got caught almost completely out.

I DID find some InstaPot squirrel recipes. We have onions planted in our garden from last year too. Can't make a game meat stew without onions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2020 07:18PM by Racer X.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: March 18, 2020 09:24PM
Some people ought to watch. a farm report show . Cattle prices are dropping.. Overstocked . Tuesday's slaughter rate was 127000. . 2 thousand more than this time last year . Some people ought to figure out what day of the week it is . That was last Tuesday yesterday's was 95k today was 123k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2020 09:31PM by srf1957.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 18, 2020 10:30PM
On tonight’s news, they had a local MicroCenter store which was oddly packed. Turns out, not so odd - with all of the work-from-home, laptops and other computer gear was flying off the shelves, they said.

They had a line, but they had put tape X’s on the floor, 6 feet apart. Next! and you moved up one X toward the checkout register.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 18, 2020 11:57PM
pdq
They had a line, but they had put tape X’s on the floor, 6 feet apart. Next! and you moved up one X toward the checkout register.

that's good thinking...
Date: March 19, 2020 03:52AM
It's no longer regular shopping. People are on edge.

At the risk of sounding paranoid, that's no joke.

I kept an eye out, but it's habit.

A guy I'd talked to earlier got in the paper products line a second time when Costco started handing out paper towels.

He was worried that somebody might take his cart so I kept an eye on it for him. Told him not to worry, I had already checked it out and he didn't have anything I wanted. (I was kidding.)

At that, a Costco employee told us they'd had some incidents of that happing.

I think that explains why there were a lot of employees moving around.

Way back before all of this, I was in Safeway on my Light Provisioning Day and darned if I could find a box of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.

There was another guy in the aisle checking out the cereal as well. I found a solitary box behind some other cereal and happy happy joy joy. Wandering down the next aisle I left my cart for something and when I came back, after a few seconds I noticed my Frosted Flakes were gone. That really ticked me off.

I looked up and saw the Other Guy rounding the aisle, and surprisingly, he now had a box of Frosted Flakes. Going after him, I knew it might get a little ugly, but I'd have my say, regardless.

But he had the bad luck of stepping away from his cart.

Yes, it was only cereal, but it was the last box.

Oh yeah, and the principle of the thing, sure.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 19, 2020 05:19AM
Ooooo....the Frosted Flake wars! smiley_gun_sniper

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: March 19, 2020 06:03AM
Ooooo....the Frosted Flake wars!

You mock, but mark my words, if this COVID situation isn't brought under control soon, we'll all be trading toilet paper for for Frosted Flakes.

We have to act now, before it's too late.

They came for my Bran Flakes, and I did nothing because I don't like 'em...

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 19, 2020 11:20AM
Sam3
Ooooo....the Frosted Flake wars! smiley_gun_sniper

{quickly searching uTube for How to Sugar Your Corn Flakes}
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018